Fitting new loudspeakers (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I am planning on fitting a new radio in due course with some additional speakers in the Hab area. I have various bits of trim off and will take the opportunity to lay in the cables for the speakers and ties them down really well to prevent rattles.

On standard speakers I will need a positive and a negative cable, but does anyone know if, for fitting any form of super-duper speakers, I might need more than 2 wires to each speaker. I have not yet chosen which speakers to fit.

I would hate to be offered some wonderful speakers but they need more than 2 cables each and I have to rip the trim out again.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I've never heard of speakers requiring more than 2 wires but I'm sure someone will show different. I know there are some interesting ways to wire them for full on hifi buffs but I think they still only use 2 wires to each speaker.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Yes two wires is the norm but if you are putting two speakers down one side you will need four wires because as far as I know they don't go from one speaker to the other.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Each speaker will need two wires no matter what size it is. If the speaker comprises two drivers and needs a cross-over this will either be built onto the back of it (most common) or if not can be placed near to, or on the back of, the speaker. Make sure that the wires are connected so the speakers are in phase with each other and the front ones.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You can get bi-wired speakers that can operate in a "bridged" format where only one pair of wires are required for each however to get absolute best performance they can be bi-wired (two pairs of wires to each speaker). This is generally used in high end esoteric systems in a properly sound tuned room.

A motorhome has far too many reflective \ absorbent \ angular surfaces to derive any benefit from this type of set-up. Stick with a standard wiring set-up.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You can get bi-wired speakers that can operate in a "bridged" format where only one pair of wires are required for each however to get absolute best performance they can be bi-wired (two pairs of wires to each speaker). This is generally used in high end esoteric systems in a properly sound tuned room.

A motorhome has far too many reflective \ absorbent \ angular surfaces to derive any benefit from this type of set-up. Stick with a standard wiring set-up.

See, told you so! Don't know what happened with the duplicate post - sorry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Thanks all, will just put in two pairs then.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988

See, told you so! Don't know what happened with the duplicate post - sorry.

Stereo?:xrofl:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Don`t know if it the same now,,,,,,, but years ago you had to have the same length wire going to each speaker..

Cos if one was shorter it made a difference to the sound coming from the longer wired one...:xgrin:

Some thing like that anyway... :xdoh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back