fitting kitchen tap (1 Viewer)

ironvan

Free Member
Apr 7, 2018
Funster No
Does anyone have any advice for us about fitting a new kitchen tap in our Rollerteam Autoroller? I am used to fitting taps in the house but it is so inaccessible under the sink in the motorhome. Seems like you would need a very long handled spanner to access. Dealer wants to charge £150 for tap plus labour! Lots of cheaper taps that seem suitable are available on internet. Would welcome any tap fitting stories and help before I attempt a job I might regret starting...

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
There's a good chance it was fitted to the top on the bench. I think you will have to remove the top if possible. Other than that you'll have a struggle. My Burstner is quite accessible, the bath room one was a pain and the shower tap but both possible. Persevere???

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I struggled for ages prizing off the piped on a tap and when I finally got the tap out I found a release button to release pipe with a simple press. Might help you.

I agree above, you may need to raise the work surface or perhaps the sink.

Before you start, get a doll.

Write on it DESIGNER and every time you swear stick a pin in it and smile.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
The kitchen tap on our Swift has a habit of working loose and I have spent many a happy hour squashed into the cupboard under the sink trying to fix it. If its anything like ours I would suggest you make as much space for yourself as you can. On ours I had to reach up with a pair of pliers and undo the nut securing the tap in place.

After that I applied some liquid that is supposed to stop nuts / bolts working lose and reassembled. Been alright since.

Paul

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Remove as much cabinetry as possible, shelves, drawers, and doors.. if it's screwed in, no mercy, have it out..

depending on space, you may be able to remove the nut with adjustable pipe pliers, failing that an adjustable basin wrench form the likes of Screwfix.. but you said you had fitted house taps so you probably have one already .. a second pair of hands may help by holding the tap from above .. may the God of the taps go with you

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I removed the original tap in our camper and replaced it with a taller one, took a while and I had to remove the drawers, panel in front of the sink, the sink etc, to get to the base of it to release the securing nut below the work surface. The hardest part though was getting the water pipes off the tap pipes as they were really, really tight. As I'm selling my camper I'm gonna put the original tap back in ... oh joy or joys that's gonna be fun ... but only when I remember where I safely stored the flaming tap at home! :D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

ironvan

Free Member
Apr 7, 2018
Funster No
Thanks everyone, for your advice and encouragement! Once I get the Autoroller back from it's warranty repair for damp (only 4 years old! don't get me started..) I will have a go at it and let you all know how I get on.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I use these at work
Also available on Amazon ,
When I did the tap on a new Swift kontiki it was easier to remove the sink as it was a composite type that was badly stuck in place with very little silicone !

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenbe...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=COqc5ubCstoCFQNFGwodSugGtQ

sorry, they are no good to undo the big nut on a motorhome tap.. they are for undoing securing bolts 9, 11, 12 and 13mm

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
On our Swift Bolero I just took out the sink - four small screws. There was enough play in the waste pipe to give me enough room to get a small spanner in to tighten the mounting screws but it would have pulled off quite easily (it fell off earlier then I put a tiny grub screw through to hold it).

Unfortunately it didn't stop the leak and I got someone else to change the tap when they were doing another job (wimp!)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Welcome to my world. At 56, 6 ft and 15 st these sort of jobs aren't getting any easier.

D.
15st ... blooming heck you've got a bit porky!!! :D

We'll be having to call you Double-chin Diamond Dave now???? :LOL:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I've been 15st, or thereabouts, for over ten years Mel.

D.
You've been hiding it well then Dave ... probably just the 'thereabouts' bit that's increased ...! :imoutahere:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yippee ... I found my tap at last .... it was lurking in a box with some other stuff that was also being kept safe ... ! :D Next time I shall make a note of where it's been put! :X3:

Now re-fitted ... not as difficult as I remember it being when I took it out.(y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back