LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
well at last got my new gas struts fitted ,thanks to my mate dai boy we had to make a few adjustments ,80.00 the pair the company is SGS ENGINEERING SOLUTIONS they were very helpful i explained that we had a 4" memory foam mattress and the original mattress and they worked out what we required ,and then the hard work began but what a difference lifting the bed it actually glides up with ease.will save my back in years to come .....:thumb:

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
well at last got my new gas struts fitted ,thanks to my mate dai boy we had to make a few adjustments ,80.00 the pair the company is SGS ENGINEERING SOLUTIONS they were very helpful i explained that we had a 4" memory foam mattress and the original mattress and they worked out what we required ,and then the hard work began but what a difference lifting the bed it actually glides up with ease.will save my back in years to come .....:thumb:
Used SGS myself recently, can't praise them enough for there service.

Steve
:thumb:

Voyagerman

Free Member
May 4, 2017
Perth,Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Hi Silkcut,
I see that you posted in November 2014 that you changed the gas bed struts on your Swift Bel Air. I have a 730 and am trying to replace these struts. Firstly, the original manufacturer cannot supply replacements and I am finding it difficult to get exact measurements since the struts are compressed when the bed is down and only extended when the bed is up and inaccessable! Secondly, at 1400N, these seem very powerful and the only way I can see to replace them is in their compressed state, so how can I do that? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards.

Voyagerman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Hi VO Just reading your post ,think towards removing the rear support on your bed then let it drop down you need to get your strut fully extended ,Forget thinking you may get it out whilst under a 1400n of pressure it will not happen .I do not know the layout of your van but i do know replacement of the strut will not be under compression. you need to look towards the bed fixings to reduce tension . My so did mine last year brownhills quoted £86 AN HOUR FOR 4 HRS my son did the first one in 25mins ish ,My lad is an engineer on the rigs ,tends to stop in the middle east so he is not in a position to advise even bu you need to look down the road i have suggested .Wish you luck lol

Voyagerman

Free Member
May 4, 2017
Perth,Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks very much for your help - much appreciated. I see what you mean about getting the strut fully extended. If I remove the rear support, will the strut spring out suddenly/dangerously?
Regards.
Voyagerman

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Totally agree with the posts above.

SGS are one of the best companies I have ever dealt with in my whole (long and lucky) life.

JJ :cool:

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Problem i have is as i said , i do not know your model .but you need to give it a good looking at and bear in mind if your strut will not lift the bed then it may not have gas in .but disconnecting the bed side nearest windscreen (THERE IS ONLY 4 ARMS CONNECTED TO THE BED ONE ON EACH CORNER THEM ARMS NEAREST THE WINDSCREEN ARE THE ARMS HE DISCONNECTED ONE SIDE AT A TIME) which did not involve him touching the strut, as the strut is connected to the scissor mechanism above.my lad put 3 cushions on the dash and lowered the bed onto them then started on the strut with the weight off the bed one side at a time ,i was watching but i was careful not to get in his way he gets a bit excited if i crowd him lol , i do know after taking the arm off the bed allowed the scissor mechanism to open to make the strut slack.you do not want to be removing anything under tension ,and consider your windscreen if in the area .either way if yours is different your bed will be were you start to remove the weight .give it a good looking at before you start and maybe someone to help you proceed discussing as you go lol .Happy days enjoy and just think. and take one step at a time lol .good luck H.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi Silkcut,
I see that you posted in November 2014 that you changed the gas bed struts on your Swift Bel Air. I have a 730 and am trying to replace these struts. Firstly, the original manufacturer cannot supply replacements and I am finding it difficult to get exact measurements since the struts are compressed when the bed is down and only extended when the bed is up and inaccessable! Secondly, at 1400N, these seem very powerful and the only way I can see to replace them is in their compressed state, so how can I do that? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards.

Voyagerman
Should be a number on the strut just need to give it to SGS and they will sort it, if they have always been borderline when working they will over pressurise for you often helps to go up 10%.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Get yourself joined Voyagerman best £15 your likely to spend this year lol .

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Thanks very much for your help - much appreciated. I see what you mean about getting the strut fully extended. If I remove the rear support, will the strut spring out suddenly/dangerously?
Regards.
Voyagerman
Can I inject a note of caution about changing the struts yourself. I looked very seriously at doing the ones on my Hymer but chickened out. I took the vehicle to Hambilton Engineering (you wouldn't know but they have a superb reputation). Peter told me that the struts on my vehicle exerted 4 tonnes of pressure and you needed to know what you are doing as it can have dangerous repercussions. He did one recently where the owner had tried himself and the strut went through the windscreen!

I think a visit to a professional would be wise.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Loosen fastening on the end attached to the M/H with bed Down

Bed up, remove nut from the same by working blind from the side, make sure that end of piston is now clear of fastening ie hanging loose.

Bed down remove the nut from front of piston/stay attached to bed, remove piston/stay, replace with new p/s, tighten (to bed) .

Bed up, fix stay on other end by working from the side, fix nut, finger tight +

Bed down Tighten nut
Repeat other side

You might have to remove a few decor bibs and bobs to enable you to work from the side with the bed up, Curtain etc I replaced ours on our Pilote it only took 1 1/2 hours and a bit of forethought and common sense.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Compress them a bit and fit a strap to them That is as long as it is shorter than the fitted length fit tem and release. The pressure they exert is only enough to balance the load not 4 tonnes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back