Fitting extra leisure battery I6571 easy ? (1 Viewer)

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ok we only have one leisure battery is it easy to fit another battery ?
And if so do i need to add another charger.
Does the battery need to be the same as one in there or can it be different AH?
Thanks
jim

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
hi jim it isn't hard to fit spare leisure battery but where is your original bud
if you are going to use one of your looker or garage use the thickest wire you can get use good quality connections and just wire it up positive to positive negative to negative and you will have extra stored power I have three lesser battery's and a solar panel and never want for 12v now
it depends if you do a lot of off grid
I am sur that there will be someone along soon to advise you there are lodes who have done this
bill

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Ok we only have one leisure battery is it easy to fit another battery ?
And if so do i need to add another charger.
Does the battery need to be the same as one in there or can it be different AH?
Thanks
jim

ok you must have upset someone I have never seen a post this neglected

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Adding a second leisure battery is a simple case of finding a suitable spot as near the original as possible and connecting up as Bill said.

however it is best practice to make sure both batteries are the same age and condition, add a good new battery to an old tired one and it will not perform as well and if the old one fails it will kill the new one too.

you can mix amp/hour sizes and thats no huge problem as the charger will see just one large battery combined. always best to fit as powerful a battery as will fit the space

mounting the battery, always use a proper battery box and ventilate it to outside. a faulty battery produces gas which is explosive, so you dont want it in the van or anywhere near an ignition source. plastic boxes are a good move as less chances of anything falling on the terminals causing a short circuit.

many vans have the leisure battery under the drivers or passenger seat. this is not ideal for access or for venting. consider putting your extra battery in a locker.

your onboard charger or solar panels should be no problem charging the extra battery, it will just take longer to charge

OP
OP
JimboT

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
thanks mines under the seat going to pull out and find what i have have been told its most likely a gel one.
Wasn't sure if the standard charger would charge two.
Will hopefully get some photos up to get ideas.
Thanks
Jim

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if it is a gel, you will need another gel because they need different charging regimes. if replacing both with SLA or AGM you will need to switch the charger to suit

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if there is the slightest possibility the wire linking the batteries can be damaged then fit a fuse at BOTH ends of the link wire...close to the batteries.

a couple of 30a fuses will do the job.
even if very close its worth fitting one fuse as a precaution.

if the wire were to get damaged and short circuit to earth theres a real possibility of a fire without fuses.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
if there is the slightest possibility the wire linking the batteries can be damaged then fit a fuse at BOTH ends of the link wire...close to the batteries.

a couple of 30a fuses will do the job.
even if very close its worth fitting one fuse as a precaution.

if the wire were to get damaged and short circuit to earth theres a real possibility of a fire without fuses.

Good advice but don't forget a 30A fuse is no good if you run an inverter, it will blow. 1000w inverter needs min 150A fuse and pro rata.

fozzyaj

Free Member
Sep 15, 2010
Saltash Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
Dethleffs i6571

Hi, I have the same van as you and have fitted a second leisure battery myself so can advise you on wiring and fuses etc.
If you let me have your email addresses I can discuss/ send you lots of info on your Dethleffs i6571.
Andy - fozzyaj@talktalk.net

OP
OP
JimboT

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks some top information emailed
Jim

Hi, I have the same van as you and have fitted a second leisure battery myself so can advise you on wiring and fuses etc.
If you let me have your email addresses I can discuss/ send you lots of info on your Dethleffs i6571.
Andy - fozzyaj@talktalk.net

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I am sorry to arrive so late on this question. I have the "T" 6571 Advantage with the two battery boxes under the passenger seat. The original single battery was a gel battery. I replaced it with a 110ah wet battery but I am now looking to find a second battery to fit in the limited height allowed for the second battery which is around 17.25cm high. Someone has kindly suggested a Varta LFD 90 but I was still hoping to get at least 100ah if possible, any ideas most welcome.

Alan

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cant help with the battery Alan, but have you reset your charger for wet batteries.

Gell have a different charging method to lead acids and you could boil it due to the sustained higher voltage needed for gell's.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back