Fitting A Wind Out Canopy/Awning, Yes or No (1 Viewer)

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
My new van will not have an integrated/recessed awning but I am thinking of getting one fitted as a dealer option. I am a bit worried about having holes drilled in the side of the van, where the fixing bolts appear inside the van and also increasing the risk of water ingress. Is there anything to worry about or should I just get on with it?

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Depending on the model of van, usually bolts can be hidden in cupboards out of the way. Properly fitted and with the correct use of the appropriate sealants, you shouldn't have any problems. I fitted our own Fiamma awning and the only snag I found was that the hab door contacts the hinged rafter of the awning unless I extend the appropriate leg high enough, no way round it and practically it lets any rain run off to the back of the van, just looks a bit odd with one end higher than the other when it's deployed.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We had one fitted by the dealer as an extra when we bought our van, plenty of sealant used which and all been ok so far.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
When you look at the spec of your new motorhome the unladen weight will look inviting because it won't include the weight of an awning. Have one fitted and you will loose some carrying capacity. Do you really need one? We very rarely use ours even down in Spain.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I had one fitted at the time of purchasing my van just over a year ago. Used only very occasionally as I never like to see it flapping about in the wind. If I was changing my van I don't think I would bother. More inclined to have a free standing lightweight day room.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Freestanding lightweight day room? Please explain.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Personally I would go for a drive away awning which is what I did when I got my new van last year
I had the same worries as yourself and pretty sure 3 or 4 years down the line the sealant with delaminate (M/H is basically jelly on springs flexing and moving all the time) and eventually water ingress is very likely which you won't see until it's to late
I won't put any holes in the van for anything it's bad enough worrying about the seals made during manufacture from the converter
But at the end of the day it's your choice and as others have pointed out they don't use them that often anyway

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Cat53: it is like a gazebo but often on fibreglass poles rather than heavy steel or aluminium. Just google day shelter and you will see a plethora of options, It isn't attached to the van.
At the Lincoln show there was a lot of interest in a pop-up version for under ÂŁ200; Glossop Caravans were the dealers selling them I think.

weebill

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2014
aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2006
We had a fiamma on our first motorhome and used it a fair bit but decided when we replaced the m/home we would employ a large sun umbrella as used with table and chairs at home.
Worked OK till this year in Germany we had a week of 35deg heat and not a lot of shelter from the brolly...suffice to say our m/home is currently at the dealership being serviced and having a new fiamma fitted.

Bill

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Haven't purchased a MH yet but I've thought about using a plain Tarp for shade when required..

They are megga flexible in terms of configuration, light weight and fold up to fag packet size

see example pic :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 59

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We just could not be without one.. I fitted all of ours apart from the current van as that had one on when we bought it !

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We use ours a lot but then we sit outside the MH a lot.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Depending on the model of van, usually bolts can be hidden in cupboards out of the way. Properly fitted and with the correct use of the appropriate sealants, you shouldn't have any problems. I fitted our own Fiamma awning and the only snag I found was that the hab door contacts the hinged rafter of the awning unless I extend the appropriate leg high enough, no way round it and practically it lets any rain run off to the back of the van, just looks a bit odd with one end higher than the other when it's deployed.

Standard practice to raise one end to let rainwater run-off....
Cheers, Dave(y)

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
My van came with a fiamma awning already fitted i added the privacy room myself, they are great and give you a massive dry area, the canopy is quick and easy to put out the privacy room that attaches takes a good 20mins and is no good if your van is the only means of transport, I usually just use the awning canopy, but if I am settling for a week or so I will put the room on it as well, this suits me as I usually take a motor bike with me for going out on, I will say the privacy room weighs a hell of a lot
Pete

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
We had one fitted at nec by John cross great price great job used it loads for shade but we don't leave out when we are not near m/home or at night

OP
OP
ABZSteve

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for your input folks. Still not sure about it so will take some time to consider. I have until March to make up my mind.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Do you plan on using Aires? - cos on some you are not really allowed to even use a wind out awning so you definitely couldn't use any other sort - at least with a wind out one you can just have it out a couple of feet and if the Municipal Police are having a 'jobsworth' day you can plead ignorance of the lingo and wind it back in as soon as they approach you and before they get into a FULL strop!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Only ever felt like we needed one one weekend in 4 1/2 years!

After a visit to the weighbridge, we know we definitely don't want one! Having one would mean having to loose a battery and thats not good for winter off grid use!

OP
OP
ABZSteve

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Do you plan on using Aires? - cos on some you are not really allowed to even use a wind out awning so you definitely couldn't use any other sort - at least with a wind out one you can just have it out a couple of feet and if the Municipal Police are having a 'jobsworth' day you can plead ignorance of the lingo and wind it back in as soon as they approach you and before they get into a FULL strop!
Wife doesn't like the sound of Aires Sedge, so probably not. She doesn't even want to "wild" camp for one night.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If contact with the door can be avoided by a small movement of the arm it is possible to move (1) the offending arm provided you move both ends by the same amount (2) the inner or outer ends of both arms by the same amount. Note that movement towards the centre of the awning is limited by how close the two centre folds are when the awning is rolled in. Sometimes though it only takes a small adjustment to clear the door.

I always set mine up with one end higher than the other anyway to prevent heavy rain pooling - much better than carrying a centre rafter. :)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Cat53: it is like a gazebo but often on fibreglass poles rather than heavy steel or aluminium. Just google day shelter and you will see a plethora of options, It isn't attached to the van.
At the Lincoln show there was a lot of interest in a pop-up version for under ÂŁ200; Glossop Caravans were the dealers selling them I think.
Yep - could have been me. I bought the hexagon-shaped one 'cos I liked the look of it.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
If contact with the door can be avoided by a small movement of the arm it is possible to move (1) the offending arm provided you move both ends by the same amount (2) the inner or outer ends of both arms by the same amount. Note that movement towards the centre of the awning is limited by how close the two centre folds are when the awning is rolled in. Sometimes though it only takes a small adjustment to clear the door.

Cheers for that Tony, I'll check that out ( dissapointed I hadn't worked that out for myself, been retired a year now, brain must be shutting down :LOL: )

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A wind out awning is a 'must have' for me.. for both hot and wet weather when it's invaluable to shelter from rain to take off wet clothes .. keep boots and wet clothing .. and when sunny, a cool place to sit and enjoy a barbie and I've seen many used on aires when they are not packed out.. even then, I once shared our awning with a French van parked close beside us on the air at Mimizan.

Quick to deploy and easy to wind in again.. downside is that it needs wound in if the wind gets up.. even using tie downs I wouldn't leave up in the wind or overnight, seen too many over the roof..

I have used all sorts of other shelters, drive-aways .. too much faffing about.. same for any type of tent or shelter than uses poles..

As mentioned, a tarp or army basher is an excellent bit of kit that can be used on sites or at the beach .. always carry one .. it has just so many uses..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back