Fitting a Permanent Broadband Antenna on the Roof (1 Viewer)

Nov 29, 2018
Formby
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
I was originally thinking of putting an extra USB socket beside it but in the end I've just connected it to an existing socket already in place a couple of feet below it, running the cable out of sight down to it. It's also easier to disconnect the MiFi from the USB socket end. Although the MiFi runs all the time on a trip I turn it off and disconnect it when we get back.
Thanks, think I’ll run in a Ciggy socket next to the WiFi and just un plug it in the week when we are not using the van,
Incidentally I have ordered a couple of the straight coupling connections rather than the pigtails for the Wi-Fi antenna connection, looks like they’ll work fine and less cable to worry about

Attachments

• 263E2B78-B9D1-4F40-BC18-06A6AE74D3AB.jpeg
    263E2B78-B9D1-4F40-BC18-06A6AE74D3AB.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 17
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I put a 12 volt supply in for my mifi and fitted a switch, so I only switch the supply on when needed.(fitted supply in a small box and put switch on box)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Thanks, think I’ll run in a Ciggy socket next to the WiFi and just un plug it in the week when we are not using the van,
Incidentally I have ordered a couple of the straight coupling connections rather than the pigtails for the Wi-Fi antenna connection, looks like they’ll work fine and less cable to worry about
the adaptors give one less joint than pigtails, and each joint adds to signal losses

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The Poynting antenna has SMA connections so you need SMA to TS9 adaptors or a cable with SMA at one end and TS9 at the other. Something like this, although I can't remember if it needs male or female SMA.
Be careful when buying cables with SMA connectors on the ends. There are two types of SMA connector. There's a standard type, both male and female. There is also another type in common use, particularly in wifi and mifi units. There's no easy way to say this: the other type is called 'reverse polarity' :eek: or RP.

SMA RP connectors do not actually reverse polarity, as in switch between the inner and outer wires. The 'reverse' bit refers only to the fact that the pin of one and the 'sleeve' of the other are interchanged.

For both standard and RP connectors, whether it is 'male' or 'female' refers to the outer barrel. External thread = female, internal thread = male.

A standard SMA male connector has a centre pin, and a standard female connector has a centre sleeve.

An RP SMA male connector has a centre sleeve, and an RP female connector has a centre pin. See Wikipedia 'SMA Connectors' for more details
SMAconnectors_andRPSMAconnectors.jpg

If you buy the cables from the same place you are buying the device, you will probably get the right type. But if buying separately, be careful.

Another thing is, be careful when routing the cable. Don't bend it too sharply - if it kinks, or gets squashed, it will cause internal radio reflections resulting in noise and signal loss.

pixer

Free Member
Jun 11, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated
Exp
Since 1982
If you buy the cables from the same place you are buying the device, you will probably get the right type. But if buying separately, be careful.

Another thing is, be careful when routing the cable. Don't bend it too sharply - if it kinks, or gets squashed, it will cause internal radio reflections resulting in noise and signal loss.

Very good advice. Might just add the cables from the antenna supplier will probably be optimised in length for the correct Standing Wave Ratio and hence best signal. So suggest don't change the supplied cable length unless you have the means to check the SWF.

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back