Fitting a ladder onto the rear of a Bailey Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Ceri

Free Member
Dec 29, 2020
Swansea Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 706 C class
Exp
Negligable
Can anyone give information regarding the fitting of a ladder to the rear of our motorhome. Ideally we would like a fixed ladder with at least 7 steps so that we can carry a small kayak strapped to it. The fold down ladders won't work for this. Specifically, how strong is the back wall? Are there cross members to which the ladder must be attached or will large penny washers or backing plates be sufficient? does anyone know of a suitable supplier... rhino make one but I think its only available in black which is a bit industrial. Apologies for the quality of the photo, the van is in storage and we are in lockdown!! thanks in advance.

2020-09-24 14.26.42.jpg

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
I wouldn't drill a single hole in a Bailey, the rear panel is prone to damp and the roof joint to the rear panel have been known to leak .Goid luck make sure it's well sealed. Sorry this sounds negative.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I wouldn't drill a single hole in a Bailey, the rear panel is prone to damp and the roof joint to the rear panel have been known to leak .Goid luck make sure it's well sealed. Sorry this sounds negative.
On an alutech body??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Look up Fiamma ladders.
or google "aluminium ladders for motorhomes" .there is an italian company do fixed ones in many sizes-
& Welcome

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
or why not try to get someone to fabricate a bracket that will carry the kayak, using the prefixed mounting points for the bike rack? Thats if yoiu cant make one yourself of course, by measuring, drilling and then bolting it all together.....?

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Many are fixed to the roof to take the main down force and to the rear wall for stability.

Are there any Bailey motorhomes that are fitted with a ladder as standard? If so may well be worth a look at the fixing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ceri

Ceri

Free Member
Dec 29, 2020
Swansea Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 706 C class
Exp
Negligable
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I think the safest option is to make a bespoke bracket to fit to the cycle rails already on the back of the mh. I think a standard bike rack could be used as a starting point with a fairly major modification to allow a kayak to be inserted into it. could be interesting. What could possibly go wrong? :cool: :cool: :cool: šŸŒˆ

Upvote 1

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back