Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Keystone Cougar 276EFS
Exp
Hi,

Me again!!

Looking at fitting my own hitch.

Haven't bought it yet and I'm sure they come with instructions - fix cetral side to side, fix into chassis via angle brackets of straight through etc.

But one query is to comply with making the arrangement to suit artic or semi trailer regs where does the centre of the hitch pin have to be - exactly over the centre of the back axle, in front or behind the axle? I seen someone refer to 2 inchs but not sure if that was in front or behind.

After looking at all the options I'm looking at extending the neck of the gooseneck - the bit that sticks out from the 5th wheeler, by using side plate extenders - seen it suggested as the second best option to a slider hitch which I don't really want.

Cheers Paul

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
on my vw it was just slightly in front of the rear axle . on my mitubishi its about two foot in front of the axle .
all done to shut the gap between the cab and the trailer.
i could have moved the pin back on the trailer but then the trailer wouldnt fit the vw .
ideally a very short wheel base vehicle with the pin only just in front of the axle would be nice .
i decided even if i did move the pin back it would have made a short trailer and might not have been so stable . the vw was a dream to reverse . shorter w,base etc . but we cope .
hope that helps . carefull measurement required i find . get it wrong and cab clout is a problem . i can almost get mine into a situation where i can climb out the cab right on to the steps of the trailer . does screw the tyres abit . but it can be ideal in some places .

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
mine is slightly infront of my rear axle, and i have an extended pin box on mine

Hi and welcome to Fun

Maggie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PaulJaq

Free Member
Sep 18, 2012
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Keystone Cougar 276EFS
Exp
Thanks chatter

Thanks for the info. thought it was about 50mm in front of the back axle but certainly no further back than on top of the axle.

Looks like you have a Rodeo, does it pull ok? it it and auto?

Cheers Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back