Fitting a Ctek MXS7 charger when already have solar panels (1 Viewer)

Wknight23

Free Member
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
I want to charge up my leisure battery using a Ctek charger. I don’t want to remove anything as I dont know how to isolate the solar panels prior to removing the connections to the battery, I can’t lift the battery out at the moment and I don’t have anyone to ask.I believe the mains charger is dead before you ask.

Is it safe to connect the Ctek charger to the leisure battery with everything else in place.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Sounds like a basic plan to me and you are right not to disconnect the solar panel from the battery or the unloaded panel may well damage the solar regulator, provided of course that you have one.
Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Yes, when your onboard charger was working everything was connected so no reason for it not to be the same.
Agreed.

The CTEK charger and the solar regulator will each have an electronic 'one-way valve' which prevents the electric current running backwards into the charger or the regulator. Whichever is providing the highest voltage will charge the battery.

One thing to watch out for is, the electronic 'one-way valve' may have failed on the defective charger. Not common, but it does happen. If you have unexplained battery drain, look at disconnecting the old charger.

For the future, it would be a good idea to know how to disconnect and reconnect everything properly, in case you need to isolate the battery for example.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wknight23

Wknight23

Free Member
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
Many thanks everyone for the replies, most impressed as this is my first post.

Ctek charger all connected and it seems to be doing its job, battery is returning to life

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back