Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Be safe with a safe !

Definitely YES !!! We have 3 credit cards and bank cards, only one of which is in use, the remainder plus euros are in the safe in case we are mugged or lose the wallet or purse, the van has a tracker fitted so we are assured of a quick recovery if it is ever stolen. the immobiliser also functions, probably a case of belt and braces but when you are far from home better to be safe than sorry...:Doh:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Having been robbed I can say a definite YES!!!!!

Anything that slows em up.

They'll know all the hidey holes

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Benni-Boy

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years
Safe

Hi, we have a MICROMARK electronic safe. It has a keypad and operates on a small battery. They only cost around thirty quid. Keypad handy in case you are prone to losing keys like us! Can be found if you google "micromark safe".:thumb:
Happy travelling

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Is it worth fitting one of those small safes that you can buy. It could be bolted to the chassis ?

Yes. Much better than nothing but remember as safes go they aren't up to much. The one we have has an emergency key for if the battery goes flat, drill the lock, turn it, you are in within a minute.

Plan B is find or create an subtle secret panel.

Have a safe as well and with luck they attack that and miss the real goodies behind the secret panel. But any hint, like finger marks or scratches and it ain't secret.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,
I am not saying don't fit a safe as I am seriously considering fitting one myself, but it is worth considering just what damage may be done if they try to forcibly remove it. There are generally 2 sides to most questions

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Got mine from B&Q £26.00 nice sturdy little electronic jobby gives you peace of mind.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Would say yes ! any thing that makes it more difficult is worth it.

Same with the motorhome if it looks as though it will take time to get in they will go elsewhere if there is a choice.

Dave

Last edited:

timv

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
WALLINGFORD, OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
Exp
2 years
Is it worth fitting one of those small safes that you can buy. It could be bolted to the chassis ?

Yes first job before going away. Also worth fitting spare keys for safe and van in secure pale in chassis in case you have main keys stollen or lost (make sure in sealed bag)
PS make sure well hidden.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Jaygee,

i have a small standalone safe with a reinforced cable loop.
ok, you could crop the cable and take the safe but i dont know anyone that carries bolt croppers around in their pocket least of all oppetunist theives.
most van robbers are after easy pickings anyway....cameras, laptop, purse/wallet, credit cards.

its positioned in a pretty hard place to get to and tethered to part of the steel structure of the van so im happy with it.

to be honest your as well hiding cards in various places so they dont all get stolen and leave some old, cancelled/expired ones in obvious hiding places.
if they find these they may call it a day and not look further.

like house burglers, they dont like being inside too long...the longer inside, the more chance of being caught and fed to the dogs.

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Safe in M/Hs

I have fitted a safe obtained from B&Q, as was then, about £19. This is bolted through and blends in with the wheel arch and carpeted over, on top of that goes the cooking utensils. In there goes Passports, all cards such as carnets, caravan club, EHIC (in date) and of course money.
We always make sure all curtains are drawn, the doors chained across, the cross over lock set and a very big S/S dog bowl, with water in, outside the side door. OK we could still be done but we feel we have done all that is possible.
Even on a campsite at night the doors are chained across and dog bowl out, at the side of the bed a air siren ( ex boat fog horn) and a 10,000 lumen light to blind the intruder

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've thought about one but felt that unless it was a proper safe it would be largely a waste of time.. too small to keep anything of real value ..

I reasoned that when they find it they will simply rip it out or smash it open and then you've lost everything in it.. at the end of the day, there are far more valuable items lying about or in cupboards , lappy, cameras, etc ,. none of which will go in a safe.. cards can be replaced , passports can be hidden very easily .. so what else do you keep in it ?
well, only my Rolex .. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Before I left my job I had the opportunity of a proper office safe that was being discarded but it was soooo heavy and would have taken up a lot of space so I decided against.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I reasoned that when they find it they will simply rip it out or smash it open and then you've lost everything in it.

Only just seen this.... .Yes IMO you should stash valuables in different places around the motorhome, the theory being that once they find one valuable item the urge to scarper with that one item becomes overwhelming. Hide everything in one place, say at the bottom of the wardrobe or under a seat and you risk losing it all. However if you have a very loud internal siren then a well hidden safe will probably serve you well; the chances are the siren will ensure they won't be in the van long enough to nick it. :Smile:

Hymer

Free Member
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
Don't forget that you need to inform your insurance company as they won't otherwise cover any damage caused in attempting to break in to the safe.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Just bought a fireproof one from Lidl.

It's the fireproof side of things I like:winky:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The policy will be Ok in the safe::bigsmile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Been robbed with Irina, dad, me, and Bruno in the bus while sleeping so cant see anyone being all that scared of making a quick getaway, plus done all my neighbour as well.:winky:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I wouldn'r bother with a safe crooks don't stay long, any safe would make then take more of a risk, safe's tell crooks there is a good chance of valubles.

Get one of these

Link Removed

Regards

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I've thought about one but felt that unless it was a proper safe it would be largely a waste of time.. too small to keep anything of real value ..

I reasoned that when they find it they will simply rip it out or smash it open and then you've lost everything in it.. at the end of the day, there are far more valuable items lying about or in cupboards , lappy, cameras, etc ,. none of which will go in a safe.. cards can be replaced , passports can be hidden very easily .. so what else do you keep in it ?
well, only my Rolex .. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Before I left my job I had the opportunity of a proper office safe that was being discarded but it was soooo heavy and would have taken up a lot of space so I decided against.

My digital 'laptop' safe is big enough to take all this stuff including laptop, video camera etc.
Of course they could rip out and steal the safe, though probably not if I'm in the van (we sleep on it!)

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I wouldn'r bother with a safe crooks don't stay long, any safe would make then take more of a risk, safe's tell crooks there is a good chance of valubles.

Get one of these

Link Removed

Regards

is that because they only see about a tenth of the lettuce:ROFLMAO:

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
weve got a safe and if the thiefs can get to it past our thirteen stone bullmastiff theyre welcome to it:Eeek:

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
safe

Hi there,
Fitted a safe in an awkward - hard to get at position -bolted in with no way of trying to pull ot prose it in any direction- and does assist in the peace of mind department. just back from France, each night we put cameras, passports, wallets etc into safe. Used Yale shed dor alarms on the two doors- alarms linked.
Everyone to their own thoughts, but whatever makes you feel good.
Regards, Weejohn

davetthedon

Free Member
Mar 25, 2009
Malvern, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
GreatBig Bugger
Exp
Why do we bother?..........

We had a Fiamma safe fitted from new. The only problem is it is bolted to the floor, and its really designed to be vertical. So every time you open it the door drops off the hinges. A right pain in the ass. You can't stick your head in it to realign the hinges so you have to grope about in the dark for 10 minutes. When you do get it locked, you have to make sure you put the key in the right way round, or you snap off part of the key in the lock. Oh yes I did that!!!
At the end of the day its adequate to do the job, but is it worth adding an extra 15 minutes to your going out time, every time you want to leave the van?
Just take your clobber with you, and wear toetectors, so you can give the muggers a good kickin'.
Motto: Don't get mad, get even.
ATB
DaveT

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Yes first job before going away. Also worth fitting spare keys for safe and van in secure pale in chassis in case you have main keys stollen or lost (make sure in sealed bag)
PS make sure well hidden.

Looking at safes; reading through the thread and just saw this.

Oh dear, now you haven't any theft insurance on your van at all. Vehicle itself or its contents. Same for any vehicle you insure in the UK - no theft cover if they keys are in or on the vehicle.

Read your policy!!! - don't take my word for it - I'm only an International Corporate Insurance Broker.*

* clerk who can say, Hello, Can I speak to someone who speaks English, please? in more than one modern language ...... lol

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Get one of these

Link Removed

Regards

last one of those i had rotted in a week:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread