Fitted radio/sat/nav etc vs bespoke alarm? (1 Viewer)

Aug 21, 2020
Kettering, Northants
Funster No
MH
Don't yet own one
Exp
Hi all
Had some great advice reagarding seeking our first campervan so thought I would ask this question of you all.

Having done lots of research we have decided we would like to go for the Growler Alarm from Vanbitz when we buy our new campervan. It makes sense to me to buy the complete package so would be looking at the alarm with bikes protected, plus decent head unit we can use our phone/Google Maps with, along with reversing camera. Having had lots of sat nav systems in cars, I now have one in my Astra which uses my phone and Google Maps. Fantastic! Always up to date, unlike all the other systems in the past which required subscriptions to maps which needed to be downloaded. Oh dear, not enough memory. Buy a new sat nav.

So, given that Vanbitz can supply the whole package, it seems a waste to have even a radio, never mind a sat nav fitted in our van. Obviously, if buying used, that is something to live with but if buying new all seem to be fitted with something, sometimes a simple radio, but often a more expensive sat nav unit.

Is this just something we have to live with? (Lancashire lad so, just like Yorkshire folk, I hate wasting money!)

If buying new, do converters consider not fitting any unit for a reduction in price or is that just not possible?

In any case, I cant imagine any sort of market for the fitted unit even if unused.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We specified our new N&B without a radio and fitted our own unit afterwards

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you buy a German van on a factory order the stereo is nearly always extra, I always fit my own.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I think that when buying new, if you buy one that the dealer has already pre-ordered then they will have ordered it with what they think the market wants, and often times, that will include a radio head unit of some description. If you decide that you’re willing to wait for factory order to your spec then you’ll be more likely able to order one without.

OP
OP
R
Aug 21, 2020
Kettering, Northants
Funster No
MH
Don't yet own one
Exp
OK, so really depends on supplier.
I suppose even not ponying up for optional sat nav/rev camera and separate alarm would save quite a bit towards the cost of a full Growler. That does sound like (excuse the pun) the one to go for.

OP
OP
R
Aug 21, 2020
Kettering, Northants
Funster No
MH
Don't yet own one
Exp
I think that when buying new, if you buy one that the dealer has already pre-ordered then they will have ordered it with what they think the market wants, and often times, that will include a radio head unit of some description. If you decide that you’re willing to wait for factory order to your spec then you’ll be more likely able to order one without.
Actually, I forgot that the stereo would be an option with the original van rather than the converter fitting it.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
If you are buying a new Sevel van, ideally you want to specify the radio prep option, which means that there will not be a radio fitted but all wiring will be in place to accommodate an aftermarket radio/nav/camera etc.

If the vehicle is supplied with a factory radio, fitting a replacement whilst retaining fully functioning controls and vehicle menu settings is not always an easy option due to the way that some of the factory units integrate with the canbus network and rely on body computer programming functions for their operation.

OP
OP
R
Aug 21, 2020
Kettering, Northants
Funster No
MH
Don't yet own one
Exp
If you are buying a new Sevel van, ideally you want to specify the radio prep option, which means that there will not be a radio fitted but all wiring will be in place to accommodate an aftermarket radio/nav/camera etc.

If the vehicle is supplied with a factory radio, fitting a replacement whilst retaining fully functioning controls and vehicle menu settings is not always an easy option due to the way that some of the factory units integrate with the canbus network and rely on body computer programming functions for their operation.
Thanks for response. What do you mean 'sevel' van?

OP
OP
R
Aug 21, 2020
Kettering, Northants
Funster No
MH
Don't yet own one
Exp
Also, would I be correct in assuming we would not need a truck style sat nav for a panel van conversion?

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Thanks for response. What do you mean 'sevel' van?
Fiat Ducato, Citroen Relay or Peugeot Boxer, all built in the jointly operated Sevel factory in Italy and sharing common design and components apart from drivetrains.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back