Fit for purpose? (1 Viewer)

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
We collected our brand new Burstner on 19 June 2017. We spent the first month getting ready to move house, before spending 10 days fulltiming while we were between houses, then had a month in France in September, and 2 weeks away in October/November. Since becoming motorhomers in 2013 we have been away for at least a long weekend once a month and now that we are both retired have been looking forward to longer trips.

During our UK trip we discovered that the second key had not been coded, this was finally sorted out by our local main Fiat dealer (our motorhome dealer reluctantly agreed to our local Fiat dealer doing the work as we said we would expect them to pay for the diesel if they insisted on us making a 140 mile roun trip instead of less than 10 miles).
We had to make 2 visits to Vospers to prove to Chelston that the key could not be coded snd would need replacing. The second appointment was 8 December, the day after receiving a recall letter. Vospers confirmed our van was affected. The replacement key arrived from Chelston on 20 December, and was coded by Vospers 2 days later. They could not carry out the recall repair as parts were not in stock.
We were finally contacted in mid January with the good news that all parts were now in stock, but the bad news was that Vospers could not get us into the workshop until 8 February.
On 8 Feb they phoned us after a couple of hours to say that the heat exchange pipe had also cracked and they would have to get authorisation from Fiat to replace this £300 part. They also confirmed that our van is subject to yet another recall. Now nearly 3 weeks later we are still waiting for our van to be returned to us in a usable condition.

In 9 months of ownership we have been unable to use our van for a third of that time, would other motorhomers think that we have a vehicle that is not fit for purpose, as we have not been able to make use of it as intended. Especially with the lovely weather we are having at the moment we would definitely have gone away. As it stands we cannot even think about making bookings as we do not know when we will get our van back.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Sadly, most of the delays are down to FIAT and their recall & authorisation procedures (+high demand for repair facilities caused by the recalls).
Whilst it's a PITA now, I can't see what benefit you will gain now even if you manage to reject the vehicle?

Any replacement will have a delivery time, might have similar base vehicle issues and/or other snags which will take even more time to sort out.

At least when the current recalls are finally resolved, you'll know you have the MH you wanted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Why on earth do they have to phone Fiat for authorisation, the bloody part's broken Oh Please! ? I do hope you get it all sorted and go on to have some good times with your van.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
It seems to be no fault of Burstner but it's all down to Fiat getting their ass in gear. How long would it take if you ordered a new motorhome? Stick with it Fiat should fix all the recalls next time - Hopefully.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would be as fed up as you but can’t see from your post how you couldn’t use it for three months? Wasn’t it only a key issue until the last few weeks, recalls tend to only be safety issues but not bad enough not to use it

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
This may not be what you want to hear, and I am truly sorry for the issues you have had, I fully appreciate how inconvenient and frustrating it can be. However on the grand scheme of things it appears the Burstner have done a good job and it is Fiat that are letting the side down. I think you may have been lucky in comparison to many on here who have had lists as long as your arm. A second key which does not operate is a lucky escape and in motorhome terms you have received a quality product. I know its not right but its the reality of buying a new motorhome at the moment.

OP
OP
Devon Sue
Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
The recall was to avoid any damage arising from potential non-conformity of the high-pressure EGR system’s pipe. As it has turned out, once we knew that our engine had been fitted with a faulty pipe we took the correct precaution by not using our van as the failed pipe has already caused further damage and we could have had a completely wrecked engine if we had gone any distance.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
Took my Moho in for the second recall (friday) which is a ten minute job but had to search around to find a Fiat garage that could fit it in . I was getting a time frame of nearly 3 months from some and my local Fiat garage said they had 40 vehicles booked in already so resulted in a 70 mile round trip to get it done in a couple of weeks. I was told the first recall takes half a day .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The recall was to avoid any damage arising from potential non-conformity of the high-pressure EGR system’s pipe. As it has turned out, once we knew that our engine had been fitted with a faulty pipe we took the correct precaution by not using our van as the failed pipe has already caused further damage and we could have had a completely wrecked engine if we had gone any distance.
And, if the recall parts weren't available at the time of recall that is no fault of the owner and any subsequent engine damage through continued use would be liable to Fiat.
Can you imagine a new fleet of courier vans being grounded for possibly weeks because the recall parts weren't available....it would never happen, the vans would still be in use earning money..

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
You wonder sometimes if Fiat's commercial account customers get priority.

@Devon Sue, I am in need again of (the second) recall work, having taken delivery of my new MH in the same month as yours. It is very irritating to say the least. There are other niggles still to sort out. Having said that, I can see you have worse problems than mine with the Fiat side of your Burstner, but maybe not serious enough to say conclusively that it is not fit for purpose. I hope you get it fixed soon and can enjoy using it again.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I am getting paranoid now as I did check whether our new van collected last Sept was one needing the new EGR pipe replacement, but when checking on The Fiat Professional Website and entering the VIN number it gave us a green light, so assumed ours was not part of the recall. But now I need to check again as there may be other recalls that have happened since then.
I thought Fiat were very tight in only giving out one Key fob to open the doors, two keys yes but only one fob. I have never bought a new car with only one fob, and when i asked how much for a second one, someone told me £400!!!!, why so much?
Hope you get all your issues fixed soon, as hopefully one day maybe, warm weather will arrive.
Les

OP
OP
Devon Sue
Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
Biggest annoyance is with Fiat, who seem to be sticking their heads in the sand over the issues, speaking to Vospers a cheaper part was fitted in build. Clearly now proving to be false economy with all the repair costs and loss of goodwill and reputation, they didn't even put together a kit of parts to supply to dealers so that they can carry out repairs efficiently for the customer, each part required has to be ordered separately and the dealers are not being supplied with heat exchange pipes to be able to carry out that repair if required due to failure of the original part. Vehicles are therefore, like ours, being left with a job half done and very disgruntled customers. I have been told that other van owners have written to Fiat making their feelings known and are being completely ignored.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Welcome to the world of motorhome ownership.
You've probably read about countless funsters who have had problems and received very bad customer care.
Unfortunately this is our world and it's very frustrating. Just look beyond your present frustration to the pleasure you'll get.
Good luck with sorting out the usual Fiat mess.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
FIAT = Fix It Again Tomorrow.:D2

One of the reasons I am currently "negotiating" on a replacement on the Mercedes Base vehicle. Apart from wanting an "A" class and Automatic.(y)

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
And, if the recall parts weren't available at the time of recall that is no fault of the owner and any subsequent engine damage through continued use would be liable to Fiat.
Can you imagine a new fleet of courier vans being grounded for possibly weeks because the recall parts weren't available....it would never happen, the vans would still be in use earning money..

I think you would struggle to make a case if you used the vehicle and caused damage when your told the vehicle should not be used and contact your supplier . You could hire a replacement van and claim the cost back off your dealer .

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
I am getting paranoid now as I did check whether our new van collected last Sept was one needing the new EGR pipe replacement, but when checking on The Fiat Professional Website and entering the VIN number it gave us a green light, so assumed ours was not part of the recall. But now I need to check again as there may be other recalls that have happened since then.
I thought Fiat were very tight in only giving out one Key fob to open the doors, two keys yes but only one fob. I have never bought a new car with only one fob, and when i asked how much for a second one, someone told me £400!!!!, why so much?
Hope you get all your issues fixed soon, as hopefully one day maybe, warm weather will arrive.
Les
“Why so much “ to pay for all the recall work :LOL:

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I think you would struggle to make a case if you used the vehicle and caused damage when your told the vehicle should not be used and contact your supplier . You could hire a replacement van and claim the cost back off your dealer .

Who is responsible for giving notice to the owner for an essential recall for safety or any other reason?
If I haven't had any form of communication from Fiat Customer services, or my dealer that sold me my new van, then how am I going to know? or should I say who is responsible for letting me know?
Surely its not the responsibility of the owner to go on the Fiat customer website, register, then proceed to enter the VIN number for the vehicle, only to find a green light one month and a red light a month later?
With every vehicle I have ever owned from new, I have been informed by letter from the manufacturer, does this not happen with a Fiat Camper/MH? If so, I could be driving an unsafe vehicle potentially putting myself, passengers or the public at risk, so I hope and prey this isnt the case.
If it wasnt for this forum or similar, how would any of us know that we needed to contact Fiat re any recall.
I guess quite rightly, that you, along with myself would consider this a stupid question,forgive me if wrong, but I haven't noticed anyone on this forum stating that they have been contacted by Fiat Customer services regarding the EGR recall or anything else....I hope for legal reasons, this is not the case.
Happy travels everyone, but Fiat customer services...Up Yer Pipe!:)
Les

OP
OP
Devon Sue
Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
We had a letter from Fiat, and following day our local Fiat main dealer called us to make an appointment to check whether our van was affected.

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
Why on earth do they have to phone Fiat for authorisation, the bloody part's broken Oh Please! ? I do hope you get it all sorted and go on to have some good times with your van.

I also asked this question and, apparently, it's to stop unscrupulous garages getting free of charge parts to put on their shelves. Trafford Van Centre said Fiat are very particular and have even rejected some photos as not showing enough detail. They showed us the photo's they had taken of ours and you can clearly see it is not just a crack, but a hole in the heat exchanger.

OP
OP
Devon Sue
Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
I also asked this question and, apparently, it's to stop unscrupulous garages getting free of charge parts to put on their shelves. Trafford Van Centre said Fiat are very particular and have even rejected some photos as not showing enough detail. They showed us the photo's they had taken of ours and you can clearly see it is not just a crack, but a hole in the heat exchanger.
The girls on Vospers service reception told me last week that they had to buy a special camera on a flexible probe to take the photos of the damaged heat exchanger pipe as Fiat had rejected the first lot as not being detailed enough.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back