Fit Cat 1 or not? (1 Viewer)

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Just a few weeks left before we collect the new M/H, it's been sooooo long.

Looking around for insurance we got a quote from Caravan Guard who insist that, due to the value being over £40,000, we have a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm so we get a price for supply and fitting - £490 for a Cat 2 to Cat 1 upgrade.

We get another insurance quote from Safeguard, who we used to be with, and they quote just £30 pa more than Caravan Guard without the need for Cat 1.

What do you reckon - we use secure storage and mostly use sites rather than wild camp so is Cat 1 worth it?

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Whether you fit a 2-1 alarm or not dont pay that price. I just had a Cobra fitted for £300.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I'd have thought that more vans get stolen from secure compounds or sites than from wild campers!
So fit wat you want but be careful where you leave it. :winky:

Vlad

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I don't think the reduction in premiums makes an overriding business case on its own. However, factor in the inconvenience, worry, anguish etc., of having it stolen plus any difference between what they might offer you for a stolen MH and what it might cost to get a replacement and the case for getting a good alarm and ideally a tracker is a lot stronger.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You will already have an immobiliser on your MH so I'm not sure what benefit there would be to spending a lot of dosh on an alarm simply because one insurance company wants you to.

Many cars have alarms and most people don't actually react when they hear one go off ... they are a nuisance a lot of the time and are just ignored by anyone passing by.

We had them on our last 3 campers but haven't bothered with our current one. One thing that's not usually thought of though is that nowadays you usually only get 1 remote control fob, with the other just being a coded key, so if you want a second remote fob it would cost you around £300 or so for it, but getting an alarm fitted would be a similar cost and you would get 2 remote control alarm fobs ... so maybe that might be another benefit to consider

However, unless YOU really want an alarm and/or want a second remote fob, I wouldn't bother.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Go with safeguard.

However a flashing LED will equally deter a potential thief, quite cheap
I do recommend strikeback T having inherited one.

Last edited:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
If you are having an alarm buy once and buy the right one here is a clue

Link Removed

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Caravan Guard will offer you a discount of 19% if you have Strikeback installed. Although personally the discount would be the main reason that I had a decent security system installed.

With out going too far into various arguments , you have a luxury vehicle, that is unlikely to be stolen but statistically very likely to be broken into.

Should that "break in" occur when your abroad on holiday the ramifications are even greater, with credit cards, passports, hire documents etc.

I always say to people that we can't guarantee that you won't be broken into, but ten Motorhomes parked overnight on a dock waiting for a ferry, or in a Aire en route. Nine are parked up windows and blinds closed, no sign of life, and the tenth motorhome, has waterproof LED's flashing externally, international warning stickers in five languages, security accessory loop around the bikes and the bike rack, and warning decals around the locks.

It is unlikely that the thieves who are creeping around late at night, surreptitiously, not wanting confrontation (which is why their creeping around quietly late at night) are going to select a motorhome that is obviously protected first?

More likely they would pick on a motor home that isn't alarmed or one that has had a car alarm fitted, so it appears not alarmed once the blinds are closed.

The national statics prove that vehicle crime is falling and this is attributed to better security protection, but as with all things it's personal choice

Eddie

Last edited:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Just a few weeks left before we collect the new M/H, it's been sooooo long.

Looking around for insurance we got a quote from Caravan Guard who insist that, due to the value being over £40,000, we have a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm so we get a price for supply and fitting - £490 for a Cat 2 to Cat 1 upgrade.

We get another insurance quote from Safeguard, who we used to be with, and they quote just £30 pa more than Caravan Guard without the need for Cat 1.

What do you reckon - we use secure storage and mostly use sites rather than wild camp so is Cat 1 worth it?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Most of the post's here do not relate to the very important issue that is where is the vehicle parked overnight/daytime, yes its quite true in many cases where the alarm is sounding that 'passer's by' just look and ignore, more so when parked in car parks ...(not in this country as MH's are not council friendly):Sad: however if your unfortunate that you have to park outside your home on a public road I would say most definitely that the alarm would not be ignored, many posts I've read where a MH is stolen indicates that the MH was in fact 'parked down the road' yes, of course a professional thief is always hard to deter but remember every second longer it takes for the thief to find a way passed your anti theft devices means they will abandon their intention...you only need the experience of your vehicle to be stolen once and that negative experience stays with you a long time...........So yes fit the alarm, mine was £290 and if finances allow buy a suitable Tracker

OP
OP
Linda and Steph
Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Thanks for all the useful advice.

We've decided to opt for the Safeguard policy and just sticking to the Cat 2 immobiliser for now, we don't envisage travelling in mainland Europe this year and the insurance has two years 'new for old' cover.

Then, when we can afford it, we'll be arranging a nice little break in Somerset (assuming it's not under water :helptitanic:) and getting a Cat 1 installed.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Thanks for all the useful advice.

We've decided to opt for the Safeguard policy and just sticking to the Cat 2 immobiliser for now, we don't envisage travelling in mainland Europe this year and the insurance has two years 'new for old' cover.

Then, when we can afford it, we'll be arranging a nice little break in Somerset (assuming it's not under water :helptitanic:) and getting a Cat 1 installed.
:sin:Its sunny today ::bigsmile:Cornish Farm is dry and firm :thumb:

Eddie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back