beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
ok not quite wild camping but heading to the new forest next weekend for 4 nights with no hook up (gulp) realized last week that we had only 2 batteries both with only 20 amp hours which even with the solar panel I don't think they would suffice, don't understand why they have fitted such small batteries on such a large wagon, even though they marked out to cut a larger hole for the installation of a larger bank of batteries although we were told she was built as a show home. so this weekend is being spent installing 2 x 130 amp hour batteries which have just arrived. Non stop this motor homing lark.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
You're right; 20Ah batteries are totally inadequate (and very unusual to find in a m/home).
How long your 130Ah capacity batteries last is down to what you run off them. Lights and the water pump will draw next to nothing but a T.V. and a blown heating fan motor will need the larger capacity batteries which IMHO will be fine.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Are you sure your looking at the correct batteries?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
beltsandbraces

beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
You're right; 20Ah batteries are totally inadequate (and very unusual to find in a m/home).
How long your 130Ah capacity batteries last is down to what you run off them. Lights and the water pump will draw next to nothing but a T.V. and a blown heating fan motor will need the larger capacity batteries which IMHO will be fine.
so I have done the right thing, this was my opinion too, hence take the financial hit rather than the hit round the face from the wife whilst the lights dim and the shower starts dribbling water mid hair wash !!!! and not to mention the dreaded H***dryer!!!!

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I have a 12v x 20Ah battery on my motorbike. It's about 2/3rds the size of a house brick. I cannot believe that they would be fitted in a m/h or would be at all suitable for use with a solar panel.
As you say, better to take the cost hit in the comfort of your own driveway than the ire of an exasperated woman in the middle of a pitch black muddy field ;) And as for the hairdryer...........:rolleyes:

Later edit.
Do make sure you have a fuse in the supply from the batteries in case of a short circuit or finger trouble whilst installing the new batteries. If your handbook doesn't specify it, a 25Amp fuse should be o.k. provided that the manufacturers didn't fit lower than 25Amp current carrying wiring as well, e.g. they may have used wiring that is just robust enough to handle the current from 20A batteries. I doubt they would do that but it's no good having a 25Amp fuse in wiring that will only handle say, 15 amps as in that case if there's a fault in equipment or a short circuit the wiring will fail before the fuse blows.
Sorry if I'm teaching granddad............etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
beltsandbraces

beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
I have a 12v x 20Ah battery on my motorbike. It's about 2/3rds the size of a house brick. I cannot believe that they would be fitted in a m/h or would be at all suitable for use with a solar panel.
As you say, better to take the cost hit in the comfort of your own driveway than the ire of an exasperated woman in the middle of a pitch black muddy field ;) And as for the hairdryer...........:rolleyes:
I am now questioning myself maybe they are 40amp hours each but I still felt this not enough having read posts on here and most vans having much higher rated batteries.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Even a 40AH battery is just like a golf cart battery. And saying you are installing 2 x 130ah batteries, where are these going? In the same place as the 40ah?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
beltsandbraces

beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
Even a 40AH battery is just like a golf cart battery. And saying you are installing 2 x 130ah batteries, where are these going? In the same place as the 40ah?
yes I am installing in the same place as the originals although I am making a battery tray to accommodate and getting new battery boxes, fortunately they are mounted under the bench seat so loads of space. Are there likely to be any pitfulls installing bigger batteries because I always believed them to be storage boxes and what you are running is just drawing power from them as needed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
It just means you can use them for a longer period of time before running them flat.
I will always recommend to customers to buy a 135a battery if they can physically get it in (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
beltsandbraces

beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
hope i have not made a mistake it would not be the first time!!! the battery had a label and said 75amp 12 volt class c 20ah, sure like some advice on this should i not bother fitting the new batteries?? the new ones are bigger than the ones fitted.

Upvote 0

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
hope i have not made a mistake it would not be the first time!!! the battery had a label and said 75amp 12 volt class c 20ah, sure like some advice on this should i not bother fitting the new batteries?? the new ones are bigger than the ones fitted.

I think you will find that "75amp 12 volt class c 20ah means a 12 v battery with a 75 amperehour capacity at a continuous discharge rate of 20 amps

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
I think you need to cover your solar panel if doing any work in daylight.(or something like that).

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back