Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Well some of you may have seen some of my threads with last minute questions on toilets and fridge temperature. So - how did the first trip go..? From being a complete novice in mh terms to deciding on buying one, then deciding to purchase abroad and bringing it into the uk, lost docs... The list just seems to go on so I won't bore you.

Went to a show in Battlesbridge, Essex, this weekend with the missus and 2 kids. My 4 year old has been looking forwards to this since I inported it as it's been on the drive and with a pull down 'princesses bed' she's waited for this moment for ages.

Whilst I had driven the MH several 100s of miles this was the familys first trip. Going through the dartford tunnel and several narrow roads really put her nerves to the test..!

We arrived and setup almost immediately (compared to having an old vw camper/ awning etc...) had a great first evening and the layout we opted for (rear lounge with front and back dinette, with pull down bed) had already proved its worth with the kids.

Fast forward to Saturday- again, was brilliant (shhh I even used the toilet!). But there was quite a lot of rain in the air, but even my 15month old son managed to cope with 5 hours inside.

When the rain stopped and there was a glimmer of sun - I nipped out with the kids to kick a football around. Whilst in a 1-2-1 battle with my son, trying to out skill him, I slipped fell over and sprained my ankle. Well that's what the first aider who was available thought and bandaged me up at the time. After waking up on Sunday- pain killers had worn off, something wasn't right with my ankle, knee and hip.

I could not move and the pain was incredible. I told my missus that she would have to drive home. Interestingly she wasn't happy about doing so as we had only discussed it hours earlier - she wasn't ready and needed time. But in times like this she was incredible - dealt with the kids, packed up and then prepared to drive.

She drove well, incredibly well even if the hardest part of reversing onto the drive made me wince! After a trip to the hospital I have broken my leg in 2 places! I have been plastered up and have been resting up feeling annoyed with myself, but I've had a couple of guys here email me and ask how it all went which whilst it didn't go well personally, technically it was an amazing success with the kids and the missus proving she could drive! And also rather than continue feel sorry for myself after some of your messages thought I would let you all know how it went.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Great description of the trip until the leg, hope it mends ok. Here's to a speedy recovery and second trip.

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Glad you had a good first trip but sorry about the leg.

Hope it gets better soon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Sorry, your 'report' made me smile - seems wrong :D

Glad you had a good time (some of the time anyway) and hope your leg mends quickly.....

Really glad your wife got over her nerves and had a go so soon in your mh ownership, anyone would think you'd planned it:LOL:

But now there's nothing to stop you having trips while you're still in plaster(y). Wishing you many years of safe travels.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Football won ;) especially now as the kids know all about Gazza after watching daddy (someone with incredible skills who drinks too much and gets injured in a showpiece occasion)!

Upvote 0

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I know you were concerned about the emptying of the toilet, but to break your leg to get out of it seems a bit much! hope it mends quickly!

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Funsters getting plastered is nothing new, happens all the time! :). This incident also reinforces the belief children are dangerous and life-shortening.

But very glad the MH bit of the trip went well. You won't be able to keep your wife out of the driver's seat from now on, or hear the last of what happened on your first trip!

Upvote 0

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
From someone whose husband broke his leg in 3 places a couple of years ago - your wife has my utter sympathy. Know this, if you can get through that you can get through anything.

My hubby managed a break so bad they couldn't even plaster it for 3 weeks as it took that long for the swelling to go down from all the metal work he had to have inserted. Then 6 more weeks of non load bearing at all (not even allowed to touch his foot down).

It was the hardest 3 months of our 27 years together!

Give your wife my love - she will be shattered and I feel her pain (not yours!)

Our first weekend this weekend was less eventful (thankfully).

Jen

Upvote 0

amentalcat

Free Member
May 3, 2015
Herts, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
I'm a newbie
Glad it went well with the MH:D, sorry to hear about the leg. :(.

Ali x

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Thanks all for your comments. I'm doing ok, just in pain although I know that will go. Just so you know, the 'wife' isn't actually my wife - but we have been together for 15 years (and we are engaged, albeit I don't remember much of the engagement) she has been the hero of this episode and made me think perhaps we should set a date..! Maybe I should wait to see how we get on over the next few weeks though..!!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Just an update. I've had to have surgery to mend my leg. Seems that my ankle 'exploded' and healing will take longer. I've been a bit down in the dumps as we should be out there camping with the new MH. That said a few of us are going to Margate next weekend and the missus has agreed to drive and friends have agreed to help push me around in a wheelchair. I'm not allowed to put any weight on for at least another 4 weeks but I've tried to be positive and not mope around and gone on a diet so I don't balloon, cut down drinking and taking regular 'walks' and exercise as much as the body lets me. See attached modifications- at least I can weigh myself in for scrap now, titanium inserts!

image.jpg

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Your supposed to "Break-a -Leg" on Stage, but really its the Women in your life that gets the
"Curtain Call" and standing Ovation cause you can't stand.
Hope you leg mends soon really.

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
Spalding, uk
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
Newbie!!
Oh my...reading your first adventure, started by being amusing....but as time lapsed it appears you are well and truly laid up, poor you.
But congrats to your wife for rallying round....sounds like she did a grand job of getting you all home.

Hope you have a good time at Margate, and the sun shines for you.
Don't be too down in the dumps, remember you're a Funster now!!:) Xx

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back