First Van - what have i missed ? (1 Viewer)

LuckyLuke

Free Member
Aug 16, 2017
France & UK
Funster No
MH
A - Class / Integral
getting my first van next month (Burstner Aviano i690)..

Having camped in tents for many years we have decided to take the plunge and upgrade our accommodation a little :).

Van is pretty well specced as it is but have some upgrades planned (alarm / immobilizer / solar / larger leisure battery / gaslow )

At the moment I'm in two minds about TV / satellite - obviously not had one in the tent and not having the TV to me is part of the holiday - I catch up on a good book or play board games with the family instead.. so I'll be leaving that for a season and see how we all feel after that..

Obviously I'll be joining MotorHome fun, but would be really grateful if those with more experience would guide me as to what else I might have missed!

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Looks like you have everything you need but use as you are going to for the rest of the summer.
What you are missing will become obvious.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
First of all a warm welcome to the forum. :welc:

Have a check list of things you need to load onto your van before each trip and procedures you need to do such as close roof vents, unhook EHU cable etc and the add anything missed to the list as you go along, it's saved endless arguments and blaming with us.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Perhaps harping on a bit but that old chestnut of weight and weight distribution. Would certainly go along with your plans on solar, battery and Gaslo or similar.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
smiley-hello-clipart-1.jpg.gif
So long as you have the essentials you can gather the rest as you need them.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
:welcome3: Personally, before adding any extras, I'd try the van out and see what you really NEED.

We're on our third van and have always been happy with the standard spec as supplied. The only thing we've had fitted to the current van is a reversing camera.

Much will depend on how you plan to use your new MH, but you'll be fine for a few days 'off-grid', especially if your on the move every few days.

Whatever you decide, enjoy! (y)

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Hello and welcome from Scotland. :WelcomeFlag:As others have said, use your van first before you fit the extra's. first thing I get is an alarm and/or tracker. I'm straight off to Eddie at VanBitz when I get my new to me van.

No TV, read a book and talk, enjoy the freedom.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Welcome to Fun.
Limit what you take with you as most of it will be unnecessary.
I have a posh TV and media player that I've never used because there's always been something better to do.

OP
OP
LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke

Free Member
Aug 16, 2017
France & UK
Funster No
MH
A - Class / Integral
Cheers guys, thanks for the advice, I'll do as suggested and leave any other extras for now and get on an use the van, that is apart from I'll get started on a 'checklist' as well as getting used to weighing everything that goes into a van... now getting into the mindset that if I loose some weight I can take some extra books :)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Welcome, like others have said use the van then make a list of what you feel will help you enjoy your van how you want to. One essential for us is the solar panel helps give you independence. Not a great need for satalite we had one for years but they do need upgrades now and then, we have bought a Avtex TV and ariel work just as well for a lot less money.
:welcomesign:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome enjoy your travels and the forum.
We camped for 30 years but love the fact that we can motorhome all year round!!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We didn't have an inverter fitted for the first four years after getting our van and didn't think we needed one. I've now fitted an inverter and wonder how we coped without it. :)
Mrs DBK can now dry her hair when we are not on sites with EHU and luxury of luxuries, I've now bought a little coffee machine and can make real espresso coffee. :)
But I think you need to add solar (200W would be my advice) plus two leisure batteries first before contemplating the sort of inverter needed to run these toys. :)

Mar 27, 2016
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 408
Exp
Since 2016
Had our van 18 months and we did as some suggested and added nothing to start with. So far have added an extra battery. But are more than happy to go without the TV. But do miss a good internet connection sometimes, so this has been something we have been looking at.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
suggest that you take a notebook and be ready to prepare 2 lists

1. things I have but don't need
2. things I don't have and do need

BUT do not replace the word "need" with "want"

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
:welcome4:
As has been said you will find out what you need when you start using the van(y)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
The major purchase I did after years of trying to justify is the Gaslow refillable cylinders. I can't justify the cost of an inverter or solar panels but the refillable cylinder is invaluable (other makes available). We only have one leisure battery as space restrictions. We've just done 6 weeks touring France, Switzerland and Italy and majority were on Aires so mostly no electricity and never had a problem.
Importantly
welcome animated smiley3.gif

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Take less, not more. When I think of all the stuff we took on our first trip, lugging it all not and out of the shower and, when we got back it was all left at home. You'll soon work out what you need and what you don't need and anything you do need you can buy on the road.

Enjoy - and welcome!

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Take a tablet .......

All the best