First trip with new PVC (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have owned four Swift motorhomes in the past, the most recent being an Esprit 454 Coachbuilt. It proved very reliable with regard to the Swift element, with only one light switch, two LED bulbs and a catch having to be replaced in almost three years.

We have now had to downsize to a PVC as my wife didn’t feel confident driving a Coachbuilt. We bought the Swift Select 144 as its layout suited us.

We have just completed our first trip, a one thousand mile tour around Belgium and Northern France. It drove beautifully with the ride much more compliant than the Coachbuilt, and with very few rattles at all.

After seven nights spent on Aires, so being fully reliant on on-board services, we have been delighted to find only one problem. The two screws securing the door catch plate on the gas locker are too short and don’t hold it properly in place. I will replace them myself.

Everything else worked first time and properly. Nothing broke or fell off or was found to be faulty. The PDI must have been carried out properly.

We have still to get used to the reduced living space but, having spent a week in near zero temperatures, without feeling claustrophobic, we are sure that good weather travelling will be great.

It may seem strange celebrating the fact that we found one thing amiss but we have owned other motorhomes, of different makes, that required several trips back to the dealers who should have rectified problems before they handed them over.

Up to now 100% satisfaction with the dealer and 99.5% with Swift. Two slightly longer screws would have gained them the extra 0.5%.

Now to see how things develop. The next long trip will be in February with a trip through France to Spain for about six weeks. A couple of shorter U.K. based trips before then.

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
Good luck with your van and your trip. Our van is 7.5 m A class, but a 6.3m pvc offers the identical layout. How can that be? I have a theory that I shrink as I enter a pvc.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
So glad you have managed the size transition and that only 2 tiny screws was the only thing needing adjusting , and hope you have many more trouble free trips away!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Now getting ready for the long trip to France/Spain.

Have fitted a towbar, to tow our scooter. We realise that the PVC will be easier to take into certain areas than our previous coachbuilts but we enjoy the two wheels. Also reversing/rear view camera in order to keep an eye on the scooter/trailer when travelling.

We have had two small issues develop. A rattle within the sliding hab door and some “rocking” on the cab passenger seat, both put right by the dealer when the camera was fitted. This is now our first rattle free m/h.:)

This week we had a FIAT recall done so now all set.(y)

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
Congratulations, that all sounds like "a result"!

We also have a PVC and after towing a caravan it is a joy to drive :)

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Good stuff, which PVC conversion did you buy?

Sorry just seen its a Swift Select

Last edited:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Sounds good. We downsized to a PVC nearly 4 years ago and whilst there is definitely less room overall we are still very pleased. much easier to drive on smaller roads, and to park. Now done nearly 30,000 miles. Ours is an Autosleeper, no problems at all with the Peugeot base, and not much wrong with the conversion part. Most expensive fault was a failed leisure battery last year.

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
Ours is also a Peugeot base and as my first van, cannot fault it to drive. Still getting used to how much torque there is compared to a car.

The only thing I would change, if ever in a position to do so, would be have an auto gearbox, so that would mean going to a Fiat Conformatic. Nothing wrong with the 6-speed Peugeot, I just like driving autos :)

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Head Gardener
Ours is on the FIAT base and drives very well.

Having just completed 1600 miles since new I have arranged for an engine flush and oil + filter change before our trip.

I know it is not considered essential nowadays but £85 for peace of mind at removing the swarf in a new engine is still good value to me.

We can’t leave until 1st March as I reach the big 70 at the end of this month and family celebrations have been arranged.

Itchy feet syndrome is very difficult to contend with.:(

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Good luck with your trip to Spain and pleased to hear your downsized van is working out OK.

We changed from a coachbuilt to PVC 18 months ago and have absolutely no regrets. It's mostly been all positive, with plenty of extra benefits from having a narrower, sure-footed, van conversion. Oh and we made sure we got a comfortmatic gearbox too.

Happy days! (y)

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Glad you's are loving your decision to downsize :) and hope you have a great 70th (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back