First trip tomorrow in MH to Scotland, suggestions wanted for places etc to visit (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Be Prepared Scotland is extremely busy with most campsites fully booked and wilding spots over run. Tourist spots will be busy too, so be prepared for crowds wherever you go.
Can recommend the Ardnamurchan suggestion, but bear in mind it is sparsely populated and remote.
It was busy but I have to say we didn’t find it too busy this week. Once you got off the tourist routes there was literally nobody around.

FA849A89-E7ED-4100-863F-C54C893F615B.jpeg

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Is that the one just outside Invergarry village ? Stayed ( again ) at that stopover on our last trip , good overnight stopping place... Have a walk on the Ciste Dubh Trail (2Km) moderate , or the Allt na Cailliche Trail (4.8Km) strenuous...

Another F&LS good one is Glen Lochy stopover point just outside Tyndrum on the road to Oban .....about 5 or 6 miles from Tyndrum.......So not too far off their route for thread OP on their way to Fort William
Stayed at both last year, twice at Glen Lochy as our usual stop in Glen Orchy is closed off. That would be a good stop, not too far from Loch Lomond, if the OP hasn’t been out off using the A82.
There is a service point at Tarbert on Loch Lomond but every time we called there last year, the water is off.

If he does go by the A83, there are 2 FLS stay the nights, one at Ardgartan and another nearby at Honeymoon Bridge. I think they are both new this year.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Stunningly beautiful place is scotland, we would love to return, but too crowded for the foreseeable, especially during the summer..

We were there last week for two weeks and aside from Fort William and the hire vans it was very quiet.
We went up the east coast - across to Ulapool - Sky and down the west coast all very pleasant.

Book a trip it will be fine there is always loads of room somewhere. :drinks:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Stayed at both last year, twice at Glen Lochy as our usual stop in Glen Orchy is closed off. That would be a good stop, not too far from Loch Lomond, if the OP hasn’t been out off using the A82.
There is a service point at Tarbert on Loch Lomond but every time we called there last year, the water is off.

If he does go by the A83, there are 2 FLS stay the nights, one at Ardgartan and another nearby at Honeymoon Bridge. I think they are both new this year.
We think those Forest Stopover points are a fantastic resource...I just hope they are not spoilt by the " dumpers" , for want of a better description.
Actually popped in to Tarbet Pier for a quick recce for possibly stopping at on our next trip at end of this month , as we have friends who stay not too far from there , so an ideal stopover. All looked fine to me , not sure if water is on yet.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Yes, a lovely area but at the moment all of Ayrshire is in a higher level of Covid regs and travel to and from it is not allowed.
Is that correct? My understanding is Ayrshire remained in level 2 which does not affect travelling in or out. Glasgow in level 3 did preclude that but has moved to level 2.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It was busy but I have to say we didn’t find it too busy this week. Once you got off the tourist routes there was literally nobody around.

View attachment 503964
A lovely spot but looking at the state of that tree I'd be a bit concerned about the size of the beavers! :oops:

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
A lovely spot but looking at the state of that tree I'd be a bit concerned about the size of the beavers! :oops:
That’s one thing that gave me the rage while we were there. Stupid people wrecking trees for fires. There was actually a lovely memorial on the tree trunk to a local chap.

There was barely any firewood on the ground on our first camp so we had a very small fire in an existing pit with the deadwood we found on the ground.

Second time we got a bag of wood from the local shop and used that. If there is no wood, don’t have a fire, it’s simple really. I also never have a fire if there isn’t already a pit or previous marks there.

Evidently some people don’t follow the same rules as within 10 metres of that spot I counted 5 different scorch marks. It baffles me why people do it.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
That’s one thing that gave me the rage while we were there. Stupid people wrecking trees for fires. There was actually a lovely memorial on the tree trunk to a local chap.

There was barely any firewood on the ground on our first camp so we had a very small fire in an existing pit with the deadwood we found on the ground.

Second time we got a bag of wood from the local shop and used that. If there is no wood, don’t have a fire, it’s simple really. I also never have a fire if there isn’t already a pit or previous marks there.

Evidently some people don’t follow the same rules as within 10 metres of that spot I counted 5 different scorch marks. It baffles me why people do it.
It baffles me why anyone with a self-contained motor home would need to light a fire! This is what the Scottish Countryside Access Code says

We have already had forest fires, we don’t want anymore.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
On the subject of fires there are wild fire warnings around most of the Highlands with a warning not to light them. Huge wild fire in Cairngorms yesterday.

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
If you’re going to Mallaig. Take the Ferry across to Skye and explore the Island then take the bridge back to the main land then turn left. To be perfectly honest the Highlands in it’s entirety is an absolute gem. Enjoy, just leave no trace.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
On the subject of fires there are wild fire warnings around most of the Highlands with a warning not to light them. Huge wild fire in Cairngorms yesterday.
There is also a warning from Scottish Water that the expected influx of visitors could cause a water shortage. They are asking people to take shorter showers and turn the tap off when brushing their teeth. Motorhomers wild camping are very good at conserving water, so we are less likely to add to the problem.

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
There is also a warning from Scottish Water that the expected influx of visitors could cause a water shortage. They are asking people to take shorter showers and turn the tap off when brushing their teeth. Motorhomers wild camping are very good at conserving water, so we are less likely to add to the problem.
Which is incredible when considering most of Scotland appears to be water!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Which is incredible when considering most of Scotland appears to be water!
True! We live on the West coast and have a lot of rain, when we first moved here if there was no rain for six weeks there was a hosepipe ban, the reservoir simply wasn't big enough!

Jul 19, 2019
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Carthago M-Liner 52w
Exp
Explore the Highlands from above ! But flying low enough to see everything.

I recommend the open cockpit gyrocopter. You will be allowed to "pilot" the fantastic aircraft known as the motorbike of the skies....

Great guys. I got my licence there....(y);)

[poster boy, moi]
<Broken link removed>

Fantastic!

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
When you leave Ft William, head back south, and take the Corran Ferry and head towards Loch Sunart and Ardnamurchan. Lovely area to get 'lost' for a few days.

There's a short ferry crossing to the Isle of Mull from Lochaline.

Enjoy, hope you can relax after IoW to Ft William in 2 days! :clap:
Agree about Ardnamurchan, beautiful area. 👍

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If in Fort William go a little further north and visit

You can also have a walk and look at Neptune's Staircase.

Don22

Free Member
Dec 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 2009
If you make it to Skye, the Glenbrittle campsite under the Cuillins is definitely worth a stop. Terrific views and walks.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Two weeks on NC500 and we thought it is very quiet. Yes campsites are busy managed to do a couple of sites but not a problem so far with being a FLT
Better than the last time we did the 500. Seems to be more places accepting the idea that Motorhome users sometimes just want an option to park4night

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
I have a Facebook page called Motorhome sleepyspots, with in excess of 35k members,

PaulAndMaz

Free Member
Jan 26, 2020
Newhaven, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Hi,
Leaving Isle of Wight tomorrow morning, overnight stay in Carlisle, boat trip next day on Loch Lommond, then 3 nights Fort william, steam train trip to Mallaig booked. We need some inspiration of where to go etc from there!! possibly Skye? any thoughts? we have about 15 days ish...MH is 7m, don't need hook up.
jim n Jenn
We’ve just got back from Scotland two weeks ago. Fantastic trip. When you’re in Fort William, definitely go to the Ben Nevis distillery. No tours when we went but you get to taste and buy. Hazel was our ‘taste guide’ and she was brilliant. Highly recommend.
Mallaig, there didn’t seem to be much going on there but walk along the road out of town and find the beautifully carved and decorated benches. Lovely setting for a picnic lunch. Have fun and don’t forget the midge repellant!

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
You'll be fine, plenty of places to stay, its your choice, CL's, sites or wilding. If you need any help, please feel free to message me & I'll do what I can to help.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back