First trip tomorrow in MH to Scotland, suggestions wanted for places etc to visit (1 Viewer)

jim999bob

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
isle wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi,
Leaving Isle of Wight tomorrow morning, overnight stay in Carlisle, boat trip next day on Loch Lommond, then 3 nights Fort william, steam train trip to Mallaig booked. We need some inspiration of where to go etc from there!! possibly Skye? any thoughts? we have about 15 days ish...MH is 7m, don't need hook up.
jim n Jenn

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
When you leave Ft William, head back south, and take the Corran Ferry and head towards Loch Sunart and Ardnamurchan. Lovely area to get 'lost' for a few days.

There's a short ferry crossing to the Isle of Mull from Lochaline.

Enjoy, hope you can relax after IoW to Ft William in 2 days! :clap:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
With the increased rate of infections and therefore potentially further restrictions don’t be too surprised if staying at home was a better option particularly related to Scotland.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Be Prepared Scotland is extremely busy with most campsites fully booked and wilding spots over run. Tourist spots will be busy too, so be prepared for crowds wherever you go.
Can recommend the Ardnamurchan suggestion, but bear in mind it is sparsely populated and remote.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Be Prepared Scotland is extremely busy with most campsites fully booked and wilding spots over run. Tourist spots will be busy too, so be prepared for crowds wherever you go.
Can recommend the Ardnamurchan suggestion, but bear in mind it is sparsely populated and remote.
With the exception of the last bank holiday weekend the south west wilding spots have been quiet on my recent trips out.

What baffles me is this rush to get to Loch Lomond before visitors consider themselves to be in Scotland.
Yes the Highlands are truly majestic, but southern Scotland is stunning, its quiet, parking is easy, campsites aplenty, wilding is easy & indeed tolerated by the authorities, the food is absolutely first class, there's sailing, visitor centres, space observatory with dark skies parks, castles, mountains, lochs & beautiful views round every corner.

Arran from Ayrshire below, show me a better sunset than that?
Arran from Waterside.jpg

A few miles from my door, awesome place in Ayrshire.
Dalmellington The Round House stars.jpg

Who needs The Devils Causeway, here is our own area of hexagonal basalt columns.
Benbeoch 2.jpg

Our very own ospreys nest, complete with two hatched chicks & viewing camera where you can get food or a coffee (loch Doon)
Dalmellington Ospreys..jpg

Dalmellington The Merrick 1.jpg
The Loch.jpg

So come on folks, spread your wings & fly a little, you'd be gagging to come back & wonder why you'd missed it before.

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Applecross. Enjoy spectacular scenery, see a range of wildlife and experience the breath-taking Applecross Peninsula

Ps don't forget your <Broken link removed>

Deleted User
Another vote for Ardnamurchan peninsular.
Drive to the lighthouse, park up and wonder down to a glorious small beach with clear blue water.
From memory there was a very basic campsite close by.
This area is remote so take all supplies with you, mostly single track road with passing places.
Fantastic wildlife, ferry to Mull worth while, only small, used mainly by locals and school kids who travel to Mull to attend secondary school. Hopefully the ideal place to escape the crowds.
Give you self plenty of time and enjoy.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
What baffles me is this rush to get to Loch Lomond before visitors consider themselves to be in Scotland

There is a free Aire on Loch Lomond at Tarbet, although it does get busy.
DO NOT travel the A82 above Tarbet if you value your wing mirrors - Frighteningly awful road
Go north via the A83.
Oban is nice and on the way to Fort William. For a day out you an catch a ferry to my castle on Mull from Oban

IMG_20210527_173028.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
When you leave Ft William, head back south, and take the Corran Ferry and head towards Loch Sunart and Ardnamurchan. Lovely area to get 'lost' for a few days.

There's a short ferry crossing to the Isle of Mull from Lochaline.

Enjoy, hope you can relax after IoW to Ft William in 2 days! :clap:
We live in SW Scotland and are planning on 3 days to get to Fort William!

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
With the exception of the last bank holiday weekend the south west wilding spots have been quiet on my recent trips out.

What baffles me is this rush to get to Loch Lomond before visitors consider themselves to be in Scotland.
Yes the Highlands are truly majestic, but southern Scotland is stunning, its quiet, parking is easy, campsites aplenty, wilding is easy & indeed tolerated by the authorities, the food is absolutely first class, there's sailing, visitor centres, space observatory with dark skies parks, castles, mountains, lochs & beautiful views round every corner.

Arran from Ayrshire below, show me a better sunset than that?
View attachment 503864
A few miles from my door, awesome place in Ayrshire.
View attachment 503865
Who needs The Devils Causeway, here is our own area of hexagonal basalt columns.
View attachment 503866
Our very own ospreys nest, complete with two hatched chicks & viewing camera where you can get food or a coffee (loch Doon)
View attachment 503869
View attachment 503872View attachment 503873
So come on folks, spread your wings & fly a little, you'd be gagging to come back & wonder why you'd missed it before.
Yes, a lovely area but at the moment all of Ayrshire is in a higher level of Covid regs and travel to and from it is not allowed.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
There is a free Aire on Loch Lomond at Tarbet, although it does get busy.
DO NOT travel the A82 above Tarbet if you value your wing mirrors - Frighteningly awful road
Go north via the A83.
Oban is nice and on the way to Fort William. For a day out you an catch a ferry to my castle on Mull from Oban

View attachment 503904
The A82 isn’t too bad! We have done it towing a caravan. Just need to be careful. The A 83 is open at the moment but is often closed due to landslides.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Check out Forest and Land Scotland’s ‘Stay the night” scheme for overnight stops. There is a nice one at Loch Garry, not too far from Fort William, on the road north.

Skye will probably be quite busy. We will be passing through next week on our way to the Harris ferry but probably won’t be stopping.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
The A82 isn’t too bad! We have done it towing a caravan. Just need to be careful. The A 83 is open at the moment but is often closed due to landslides.
When it is closed, the old military road is used with a convoy system.

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Check out Forest and Land Scotland’s ‘Stay the night” scheme for overnight stops. There is a nice one at Loch Garry, not too far from Fort William, on the road north.

Skye will probably be quite busy. We will be passing through next week on our way to the Harris ferry but probably won’t be stopping.
Is that the one just outside Invergarry village ? Stayed ( again ) at that stopover on our last trip , good overnight stopping place... Have a walk on the Ciste Dubh Trail (2Km) moderate , or the Allt na Cailliche Trail (4.8Km) strenuous...

Another F&LS good one is Glen Lochy stopover point just outside Tyndrum on the road to Oban .....about 5 or 6 miles from Tyndrum.......So not too far off their route for thread OP on their way to Fort William

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Really?
Its the only road where I can guarantee to clout my mirrors on one side or the other. I met a coach on there on the last trip, we had to stop to feed our way past. Never again :swear2:
We had our mirror broken on the A82, but further North in Glen Coe, on a much wider road, by another motorhome which wanted both sides of the road.

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Stunningly beautiful place is scotland, we would love to return, but too crowded for the foreseeable, especially during the summer..
I think you could be pleasantly surprised...Just go a little way away from the tourist traps and it wont be too crowded.....We only came back about 10 days ago and thats exactly what we done...We didnt use campsites ( edit , 2 nights total) and had little to no crowds at any of our stopovers....Our trip was anywhere between Dumfries and Galloway , onwards and upwards to Ullapool.....Also staying quite randomly in both the Cairngorm and Trossachs national parks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back