First trip to France (1 Viewer)

Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
Looking to get the tunnel on Wednesday 18th October and return Saturday 28th October.

Initially heading to Rouen , I went through here in 2012 and it was chaos -)), hopefully its now sorted.

I want to visit Honfleur and Barfleur.

My plans are fairly liquid... red preferably ... then onto Chartres and Orleans...

Around night 5 my next destination will depend on the weather..if its wet/cold I shall just go south and try to get to Toulouse, Carcassone and Narbonne...

If its ok probably Bourges then Troyes on my way back through Reims...

Well thats a very rough itinerary... any advice , suggestions , offers of a social... let me know.

TIA...Pat

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Rouen is fine now, the bridge that was damaged is repaired and back in use.
Sounds like a lot of a trip for 10 days but hope you enjoy it :france:

OP
OP
h1ghway1
Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
I traveled through Rouen years ago when we went to the Vendee with the kids... it was the ring road that was always being repaired .. probably the French equivalent of our M6 -))

Initially it started off as a planned 1 month tour.. then... due to circumstances I'm down from 14 nights to 10..

I'm on my own so I can change my mind without any grief and see how it goes..

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Honfleur has a huge aire with services within walking distance of the quaint harbour bit, and a large supermarket between the historic town centre and the autoroute.

Carcassonne allows overnight MH parking in marked bays in one of the designated parking areas (P2 I think) but no service point worthy of the name. Walking distance to the old walled town.

To the east of Troyes near the lakes there's an overnight MH parking area just outside Mesnil-Saint-Pere, but (last time we were there) no services.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Honfleur would be the last place I would go. Went the other year 100+ MH's crammed in side by side .. Yuk.

If you are interested in French Road System and Tarmac then go for it but you are going to spend most of your time behind that big round black thing.

Not the best way to see France ...

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
It's not your first trip then if you went through Rouen before? Just done my first trip in France. Don't try to see too many places in 10 days. It's just too much driving and not enough sightseeing.
Je suis d'accord mademoiselle @Wendo55 xx

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
h1ghway1
Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
Wendy, yes , I've been through Rouen with the family enroute to the Vendee, as regards to much travelling
I'm very much going to do it on the hoof....its just a trip for experience, if I miss out on some of the places in the initial plan its doesn't matter.

Magic - thanks.. useful info

Q4 - I'm thinking its off season so hoping its not so busy..

Thank you all for your input

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Wendy, yes , I've been through Rouen with the family enroute to the Vendee, as regards to much travelling
I'm very much going to do it on the hoof....its just a trip for experience, if I miss out on some of the places in the initial plan its doesn't matter.

Magic - thanks.. useful info

Q4 - I'm thinking its off season so hoping its not so busy..

Thank you all for your input
Have you done it in anything taller than a car? If not beware of low underpasses! :(

Wyn

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Don't try to see too many places in 10 days. It's just too much driving and not enough sightseeing.

I agree with this. We did a complete Tour de France in the spring, going down the East side, across from the Med to Biarritz then back up the West coast including over a week on the Ile de Re. It took us a month and even by our standards it was a lot of driving, about 3000 miles in total.

We're not averse to a 350+ mile day on toll roads when necessary but be careful not to knacker yourselves. Our recent trip to S Germany and across northern France took 3 weeks, was about 1800 miles, and even for seasoned long-distance travellers like us it felt about right.

OP
OP
h1ghway1
Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
Wyn - it was in an Espace.. but now I'm in a Hymer B584.. thanks for that..

Magic - I'm travelling solo.. just me to please .. but the weather will determine where I end up :D

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Looking to get the tunnel on Wednesday 18th October and return Saturday 28th October.

Initially heading to Rouen , I went through here in 2012 and it was chaos -)), hopefully its now sorted.

I want to visit Honfleur and Barfleur.

My plans are fairly liquid... red preferably ... then onto Chartres and Orleans...

Around night 5 my next destination will depend on the weather..if its wet/cold I shall just go south and try to get to Toulouse, Carcassone and Narbonne...

If its ok probably Bourges then Troyes on my way back through Reims...

Well thats a very rough itinerary... any advice , suggestions , offers of a social... let me know.

TIA...Pat
Maybe not helpful on this trip, but something you might want to consider in future.

Route recommendations

Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is for an award winning database about France. It’s big and with a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. The whole route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large.

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Tolls: We avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs).

Approaching Tours on the D910, join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road. (about 2.50 euros). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63.

A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (Fuel costs approx. €126.72. (Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.20 per ltr.)).

This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic sea which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the roads are quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing the roads.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last tollbooth and crossing the river.

You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

As for stop overs along this route, should you choose to use it in the future, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe.

https://www.park4night.com/

Finally, probably the best off line maps App and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
h1ghway1
Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
PhilandMena... excellent stuff.. very grateful..

I have Campercontact and park4night.. just need to load some stuff I've found onto my Garmin from Airetoday...

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi!
If you're stuck while in or about Toulouse , you have a free motorhome parking place to overnight at the Cité de l'Espace which is not far from my place.
Usually I offer funsters to stop at my place , but from saturday october the 7th to Friday Nov the 3rd , I will have my parents in charge (Dad Alzheimer) + my usual jobs as a childminder and as a stadium carer. Too many things to think of and not a space second, so I won't offer you to stop at my place, it would be foolish

http://www.park4night.com/lieu/8592//toulouse-9-avenue-jean-gonord/france/haute-garonne#.WdUhWlu0PIU

Amicalement
Frankie:)

OP
OP
h1ghway1
Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
Frankie... many thanks..

Pete... thanks.. that the route I plan.. going through Rouen when heading south is my plan.. and I'll be going at daybreak -))

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Probably too late now but if you cross Newhaven - Dieppe and are over 60 you get a 20% discount off the standard ferry fare, but you must book by phone.

En route from Dieppe to Chinon in the Loire valley 3 weeks ago (and returning last week) I came through Rouen and it was fine.
Two large Aires at Dieppe; one is on the prom.
There's a decent Aire at Fecamp and also m/h overnight parking right on the quayside, also at the port/town of St Valerie en Caux just along the coast. [Edit later] Actually, I don't know why I mentioned any specifically because there are many thousands of Aires - almost every town and village seems to have one or one nearby.
IMHO interesting Honfleur (huge Aire too) is worth one visit, especially at this quiet time of year.
I think you intend to use Aires, however you probably know that some/many sites in all of France will be closing/closed now.
I use the 'All the Aires' guide from Vicarious Books.
Bonne route!

Last edited:
OP
OP
h1ghway1
Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
Spriddler - I chose the tunnel as in my experience the crossing can be a bit rough this time of year.
However, I'm in that age range and would consider it in future.

I did't know that the Aires closed, thanks for that.. i have Wilded in the past so that might have to be an option.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I did't know that the Aires closed, thanks for that.. i have Wilded in the past so that might have to be an option.
I'm sure @Spriddler was referring to campsites not aires.
Most commercial campsites close at the end of September, most aires stay open but check with CamperContact, All the Aires or something similar.

Richard.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I'm sure @Spriddler was referring to campsites not aires.
Most commercial campsites close at the end of September, most aires stay open but check with CamperContact, All the Aires or something similar.

Richard.
Yes, yes. I meant commercial sites, not aires, although as scousebird has mentioned some aires have reduced facilities in winter (or reduced from the basics they have normally).

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Spriddler - I chose the tunnel as in my experience the crossing can be a bit rough this time of year.

Ah, well I used to race and cruise my 30' yacht in/across the Channel and down to Portugal and the Canaries in all weathers for 25 years but gave it up ten years ago to stick to the m/home so I get much masochistic pleasure from a rough crossing knowing that after disembarking I can stop wherever and whenever I like!

Tearawa.jpg

OP
OP
h1ghway1
Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
I write to you from the campsite in the centre of Honfleur... 11E a night and I'm surprised no toilets.. got electric,water and dumping...

Weather pretty good.. warm enough for me in polo and shorts during day, and a change to jeans for the evening.

Stayed at Montreuil last night... 2E for 1 hour electric plus 10 mins water.. ree dumping.. and a pissoir with attached lavatory.. free and very clean.

Couple of beginners mishaps... ciggy lighter gone pop , so no charging whilst running,took radio/cd out so my French language tuition ends abruptly -))

Lessons learnt ... get more USB ports installed... don't forget to topup EE data 3g wifi before leaving uk...tried to do it on the hone and an absolute shambles..

I've bought 3gb on my Virgin phone so that will keep me online .
Tomorrow I'm will have a lovely lunch, without wine, then set off for the Caen area...

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I write to you from the campsite in the centre of Honfleur... 11E a night and I'm surprised no toilets.. got electric,water and dumping...
Honfleur is not a campsite, it is an Aire. Aire's do not usually have toilets, although some do.

OP
OP
h1ghway1
Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
And no sooner do I mention the good weather..... its started pouring down.... I opened the door to check i'm not in Wales... no... definitely not :D

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Great stuff!

It's possibly just a blown fuse for the ciggy lighter socket. It shouldn't blow when just charging a phone or running an MP3.

If you haven't seen it (and it's your thing) the 70m long Bayeux tapestry (at the Musée de la Tapisserie in Bayeux) is awesome.....and good for an hour two on a wet day!
If it's any consolation, right now it's raining stair rods and blowin' old boots (a nautical term) in Sussex.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back