May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Hi
We are planning our first ever MH trip to France in September for at least 3 weeks and have a few questions we'd like you experienced funsters to help us answer.We are planning to go via the tunnel and that raises the first question.

Is it best to book for the tunnel in both directions and if it is can you change the return date easily without too much additional expense? (We are using Tesco vouchers)

Is there a best time of day to make the tunnel crossing?

We plan to go only to Northern France and wonder if anyone could recommend a quiet ACSI site within 2 hours drive of Calais on the coast for our first stop?

Can anyone recommend a Vet for the return journey south of Calais?

Looking forward to your kind assistance

Ian

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hi Ian,

Yes, you're best to book a return trip. I might be wrong but I don't think you can use Tesco vouchers for a one way trip from Calais.
You can change the dates easily enough, just ring them. I don't think it can be within 24 or 48 hours of the booked crossing though. You will only have to pay the difference, if there is any, in cost between the crossing you originally booked and the new one.

We usually book morning crossings, 9AM ish, and stay at Canterbury or Gravelines the night before depending which direction we're going. I couldn't really say that's better though, just our preference. It suits us because we come out the other side nice and early and can get a full days driving in. We have gone through late at night and slept in Calais. That works equally well. I've always thought crossing in the middle of the day is a bit of a waste of a day but if you're not under any time constraints I don't suppose that matters.

Can't help with a campsite. We always use aires.

Here's a Google Map showing vets that will be able to help.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=1iIlzLt0KPOT6sNe-n7TuoAgxcjI

To recommend one it would really help to know how far you intend going and in which direction. One we seem to use quite a lot is opposite the aire in Honfleur if you get that far. She's the most expensive vet in the world but is very accommodating and for some reason my vet hating Springer loves her.

OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Ian,

Yes, you're best to book a return trip. I might be wrong but I don't think you can use Tesco vouchers for a one way trip from Calais.
You can change the dates easily enough, just ring them. I don't think it can be within 24 or 48 hours of the booked crossing though. You will only have to pay the difference, if there is any, in cost between the crossing you originally booked and the new one.

We usually book morning crossings, 9AM ish, and stay at Canterbury or Gravelines the night before depending which direction we're going. I couldn't really say that's better though, just our preference. It suits us because we come out the other side nice and early and can get a full days driving in. We have gone through late at night and slept in Calais. That works equally well. I've always thought crossing in the middle of the day is a bit of a waste of a day but if you're not under any time constraints I don't suppose that matters.

Can't help with a campsite. We always use aires.

Here's a Google Map showing vets that will be able to help.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=1iIlzLt0KPOT6sNe-n7TuoAgxcjI

To recommend one it would really help to know how far you intend going and in which direction. One we seem to use quite a lot is opposite the aire in Honfleur if you get that far. She's the most expensive vet in the world but is very accommodating and for some reason my vet hating Springer loves her.

To be honest I hope Ashley very much enjoys this new experience and we extend our visit to at least 6 weeks. So presently no real idea of where we'll get to but we likely stay for a few days at each location which suits us
Thanks for your kind help
Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Cant you go a few weeks before. We MIGHT be there. Hopefully will meet up with you in Millport beforehand

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
To be honest I hope Ashley very much enjoys this new experience and we extend our visit to at least 6 weeks. So presently no real idea of where we'll get to but we likely stay for a few days at each location which suits us
Thanks for your kind help
Ian

If you're out for that long don't discount aires. Some of them are in great locations so don't let the "dusty carpark" horror stories put you off, they aren't all like that and even the ones that are aren't that bad. As you aren't going until September the rest of Europe won't be on holiday any more so it will be a lot quieter, especially during the week.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Cant you go a few weeks before. We MIGHT be there. Hopefully will meet up with you in Millport beforehand

Are you going in July/August Sandra? We're going then as well.

OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If you're out for that long don't discount aires. Some of them are in great locations so don't let the "dusty carpark" horror stories put you off, they aren't all like that and even the ones that are aren't that bad. As you aren't going until September the rest of Europe won't be on holiday any more so it will be a lot quieter, especially during the week.
Thanks we do plan to use the Aires(got the books yesterday). Ashley just wants a ACSI campsite for our first stop point and what Ashley wants----- well you guessed the rest!
Ian

OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Exactly when Sandra for France as I'm sure Ashley would like that.
Ian

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Are you going in July/August Sandra? We're going then as well.
Perhaps August, no definite plans but July almost booked out...Music mechanical meet, War re enactment meet then my all year favourite 80s rewind meet. Free then til our Oct 1st cruise so France is high on list.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Exactly when Sandra for France as I'm sure Ashley would like that.
Ian
We could always teach the french to ceilidh lol;)... Will let you know when we do but still get yourselves back uphere for a Millport meet.

OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

Don't just turn up and expect and simply pay the difference. We had to come back a week early once (broken tooth) and it cost a further £100 to travel that day.
We always book the tunnel for evening crossings and early mornings for the return. (cheaper crossings)
We stay the first night and the last night at the free aire in Cite Europe (the main entrance is across the road from the aire) and use the Carrefour hypermarket . Perfect for stocking up - going in and out. It's about five minutes from the Chunnel, in fact you can see it through the fence.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Don't just turn up and expect and simply pay the difference. We had to come back a week early once (broken tooth) and it cost a further £100 to travel that day.

Which was probably just the difference in cost of your pre booked train and the published cost of the train you took that day. It is always a lot more expensive to travel on the day. The cost of a place on any particular train gets more expensive the closer you get to the departure day/time.

Eurotunnel do NOT charge a penalty for changing a booking.

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
As has been said, book a rough return and amend as necessary :) We usually go Sept as well as June, quite a lot of wiggle room re tickets then. Have a think about heading further down tho, was quite cool and rainy last few times we've travelled thro north in Sept. Never know tho, may be an exception.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back