First trip to France in Maurice (1 Viewer)

Dec 2, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Sunliving S60SP
Exp
Just completed our First Overnighter
Hello,
We are planning to go to France in Mid September for our first European Adventure in Maurice. We are going to get the Euro Tunnel, even though we live in Portsmouth, as we will have Archie the Cockerpoo with us.
We are after ideas of where to go. I would be happy to drive 5 hrs either south or east and stay for 9 nights.
We would like to explore the country side and lakes or beaches if Archie can go on a beach in September.
We would to go for nice walks with Archie.
We plan to possibly stay at two locations, so campsite recommendations would be great as well.
We want to make it relaxing holiday and have a bit of chill time as well.
Also what would the weather be like then?
So any ideas would be gratefully received.
John

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Can’t really recommend places to stay as everyone is different and we don’t stay on campsites. Aires are the way to go for a short stay.
Most beaches will allow dogs after September or just find quiet places and take the dog on.
Mid September weather in France is likely to be quite hot.
Depending on where you are landing(St Malo?) 5 hours drive from the port could take you around Brittany or into the Vendée where there are loads of nice beaches and countryside to walk in.
There are lots of old railway lines around that have been converted to safe walkways and cycle tracks.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I totally understand using the eurotunnel. Pas de Calais tends to be ignored by people rushing through to Normandy or Brittany. I'm guilty of that myself. For a few years we've travelled on Eastern France through Champagne but depends how much mileage you want to do.
Depending what time your crossing is, think about staying at Cite Europe for a rest before your onward exploration and most importantly, enjoy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
After years of visiting France we got round to going to Normandy, surprisingly nice, had a good tour.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We go for 5 weeks in September every year, and always go east of Paris, down to the south and back up the west coast, this year we are planning on going farther east and Down the German border and straying into Germany as well but we are never planning on going to the Rivera area again , very motorhome unfriendly, we prefer the langadoc area and just down the coast there to Spain , just as good beaches and loads more friendly then across the mountains to the west coast and up again.
Never seen bad weather in September , in fact apart from some low cloud on the mountains we were in total sun all five weeks, last year.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Oh yeah, should have said, we almost totally use Aires, apart from a couple of days on camps to do the washing and fill and emptying.

Deleted User
As a first tour, Normandy is ideal.

Nice beaches, interesting history and surprisingly scenic inland as well.

There are lots of places to stay (download Campercontact and dip your bread)

Whatever you decide, bear in mind that France is much bigger than it looks on the map, many people plan too much, it’s best to go with the flow and not turn your holiday into a driving slog.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Aires are favourite. Alsace or into the juras. No worries about beach and dog as you can use lakes and rivers. Google images of colmar eguusheim dole besancon cascades du herrison lac du vouglans and that should sort your trip out nicely with cheap fuel from luxembourg and back via mesnil st pere

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Can we recommend (as we were there 2 weeks ago) aires at

Avenue des Garennes, 62170 Montreuil, France

Honfleur

Bayeux by the British Cemeteries77CQ+XM Bayeux, France

89QP+P7 Arromanches-les-Bains, France
Arromanches-les-Bains

Aire de Camping Car de Beauvoir - Mont Saint-Michel

All had their charms

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I totally understand using the eurotunnel. Pas de Calais tends to be ignored by people rushing through to Normandy or Brittany. I'm guilty of that myself. For a few years we've travelled on Eastern France through Champagne but depends how much mileage you want to do.
Depending what time your crossing is, think about staying at Cite Europe for a rest before your onward exploration and most importantly, enjoy.
I think cite europe has closed if you meant overnight. I would head straight off a concrete car park on a shopping centre isn't my idea of a nice place to stop!
But each to their own.

OP
OP
JohnnyRoyal
Dec 2, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Sunliving S60SP
Exp
Thanks very much to you all who have replied with your advice and suggestions. Thats is the great thing about this forum, there are wonderful people on here who will spend their time offering great advice!
I will look at all the suggestions and then start to plan my route.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Thanks very much to you all who have replied with your advice and suggestions. Thats is the great thing about this forum, there are wonderful people on here who will spend their time offering great advice!
I will look at all the suggestions and then start to plan my route.
A lot of funsters do plan but we hit France, park at Cite Europe for a rest (we travel at silly o'clock) and grab a few hours and decide whether to go Eastern France or Western France or which way to head. Drive a few hours and then look for an Aire or site (usually Aire) , stop and carry on next day or so. You're on holiday

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Head west to Normandy, some great beaches there for the dog. They've been very popular with the Brits since 1944 :cool:;):cool:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
There’s a lot of nice scenery and beaches only a few miles south of Calais and loads of typical French villages.
If time is limited you could try the coast road to Boulogne and follow the D940 then D925. You’ll see the parts most people miss!
Totally agree. Lots rush through Pas de Calais to go to places that are nowhere near as nice. 2018 we did local to Calais and montreuil sur mer. Fantastic

OP
OP
JohnnyRoyal
Dec 2, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Sunliving S60SP
Exp
Thanks again for the recent advice, very much appreciated. We were at the NEC yesterday and picked up some brochures and information about campsites in the regions of Normandy, Brittany and Loire. So we will study them and then plan our route or just pick the first nights pitch and go from there! The beauty of a MH I am sure!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Thanks again for the recent advice, very much appreciated. We were at the NEC yesterday and picked up some brochures and information about campsites in the regions of Normandy, Brittany and Loire. So we will study them and then plan our route or just pick the first nights pitch and go from there! The beauty of a MH I am sure!
Don't forget books like All the Aires. Great places and can be considerably cheaper than camp sites.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back