First Trip To Europe Any Thoughts (1 Viewer)

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
Well now had three nice weekend trips with our van, keen now to try something further a field Europe.

Ive only ever driven in France with a car so not sure how to approach the trip. Do I take the plunge and take a ferry say to Sandander or similar drive through Spain then France and ferry back from France

Or may be do a short break to France Eurotunnel or something ??

Ive bought the ACSI books and sort of tryed to bring a trip together,

Looking for any advice

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , It's easy peasy over there, we been over there 7 times & always use aires ( not motorway ) for about 3 days then a campsite just to shower , wash things if nessacary & relax, best way to find the aires is use satnav (map refs) we use All the aires , camperstop & the motorhomingfrance website £12 a year but all there aire info is in english and has been vetted by members great photo's and loads of info. Also ask Heyupluv on here as he lives over there & is a mine of info. There was a map on here to french aires which pin pointed them but its not working now, but I think if you put the town you are looking for in that section, if theres an aire there it brings it up haven't managed that yet,
Hope you have a great time when you go. We are not over there this year but going to south Brittany next sept. Terry:Cool:

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I've transcribed this from a previous thread:
I have to agree with all that has been said. It's much better across the channel, less traffic, less 'rip off' ,beautiful countryside and villages. We stay on Aires more than caravan sites - much more practical. Driving on the right isn't a real problem and doesn't take long to adjust to it. I think the biggest barrier is fear of the unknown but once you do it you won't regret it. Recently booked ferry Dover - Dunkirk for £39 via Caravan Club if that helps with an idea of cost ([HI]we'll book a return sailing when ready to come home rather than worrying about a schedule)[/HI]

We always used to book a one way ferry leaving us free to book our return journey as and when, but when booking our Travel Insurance this year was told that unless we had a return journey booked the insurance was invalid, this is worth checking out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I've transcribed this from a previous thread:
I have to agree with all that has been said. It's much better across the channel, less traffic, less 'rip off' ,beautiful countryside and villages. We stay on Aires more than caravan sites - much more practical. Driving on the right isn't a real problem and doesn't take long to adjust to it. I think the biggest barrier is fear of the unknown but once you do it you won't regret it. Recently booked ferry Dover - Dunkirk for £39 via Caravan Club if that helps with an idea of cost ([HI]we'll book a return sailing when ready to come home rather than worrying about a schedule[/HI])

It is really easy to go as you please touring from town to town as the mood takes you. It's what motorhomes are made for!

Bear in mind that you will need to make allowance for the fact that supplies of bottled gas abroad are different from one country to another. You won't get Calor gas so will need to get a French gas bottle AND regulator. We use one of these:

http://www.butagaz.fr/Solutions-Buta...be-butane.aspx

and find them very convenient. You can get your gas at the petrol stations (usually at most supermarkets).

Wyn

We like you always booked a single crossing untill this year, when booking our travel insurance, we were told that unless you have a return crossing booked the travel insurance would be invalid. On saying to the agent that we had never come across it before she said 'I had not heard of it eigher until some one made a claim and it was rejected because of no return crossing' on checking other agents said the same, so worth checking out.

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Maggio ...yes you are allowed to express your opinions, like everybody else, freedom of speech, as long as they do not offend others, but don't expect everyone else to have had your experience or agree with your views.......

This reply below is our view from personal experience of living 9 years in France.

We have lived in France for 9 years...and what you have written is something we have never encountered ....in fact the total opposite.....my wife also speaks French exceptionally well and myself a little.

'the french holiday maker is different; by that i mean far more selfish than normal. As long as they are ok, bugger everyone else!! Although polite and seemingly helpful they are very much for themselves. It is very unlikely that you will be offered "aperos" or a social drinkie poos by a French motorcamper on tour. So dont expect social evenings with the french!! Businesses love the english whilst the wallet is open It is prob the same the world over but it appears more obvious here.'

We motorhome 8 months of every Year mainly in France (well at least 6 months in France)....on aires... and have never ever come across this type of behaviour.......but it seems you have to bring it up.. we find the French friendly, polite and helpful and have often been offered aperos and drinks. this is for all the year not just July and August

'When you visit an aire, Park exactly where you want, because if you dont, someone else will!!'

Yes, that's normal on an Aire, it's not a campsite and there are not always designated pitches.

If you can avoid aires that are NOT in anyway associated with a campsite you will do better;?

I am not quite sure what mean by this above .

Are you saying to avoid any Aire that is associated with a camp site
Or
Are you saying Not to avoid any Aire that is associated with a camp site

If you are saying " to avoid any Aire that is associated with a camp site" I do not agree.....some may be a little higher in price...but in general ...No

In general where Aires share campsite facilities you will "get your pants pulled down over the price and or facilities" Campsites will invariably charge for EVERYTHING. Pure greed would be an understatement!!

You know as well as I do, in every country including UK it is the same when a business can make extra money during the busy season they will ....I bet in London.. now... while the OLYMPICS are on the prices will have gone up.

Sorry to hear that you've had such bad experiences in France but I don't think these are the right type of comments/advice to be given to Dubiousp (just my opinion) and guess that your views don't reflect those of Funsters in general.

(As said these are my views only, and are not ment to offend)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi , It's easy peasy over there, we been over there 7 times & always use aires ( not motorway ) for about 3 days then a campsite just to shower , wash things if nessacary & relax, best way to find the aires is use satnav (map refs) we use All the aires , camperstop & the motorhomingfrance website £12 a year but all there aire info is in english and has been vetted by members great photo's and loads of info. Also ask Heyupluv on here as he lives over there & is a mine of info. There was a map on here to french aires which pin pointed them but its not working now, but I think if you put the town you are looking for in that section, if theres an aire there it brings it up haven't managed that yet,
Hope you have a great time when you go. We are not over there this year but going to south Brittany next sept. Terry:Cool:

Terry, the French aires site still has Problems .....if you get the French home page when you have signed in ...then at the top where it says all about Aires..click..then on the right hand side you can in Categories, click on
Aire,
Campsite
Municipal
Wild Spots

And bring them up ...but sorry no map with pointers of position ...YET:Sad:

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Here's the link for what I think is the best French Aires book for you written in English, a few aires may be missing but there are 2,100 in it with photos:

Broken Link Removed

Hope you enjoy your trip to France, it will probably be the first of many. If there's anything you're unsure about please pm me and I will be happy to help.

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We have the latest Aires in France book, which was recommended by another Funster:thumb: It is written in English, wasn't any point in us having the French version :Doh: it's a great book and we are looking forward to trying out aires and also some camp sites when we go to France.

Huge big places with rows and rows of vans on concrete are not for us though, so it will be an adventure when we reach France.

Many thanks to those Funsters who have contributed many useful posts on here over the past days and beyond. There is so much to think about when setting off in the mh abroad for the first time:RollEyes:
Just phoned Safeguard and they told us that there is an excess of £250 if we have to claim on accidents/damage to mh, fair enough. But also, if we have to claim on theft from mh, then the excess is also £250 per item:whatthe:
They say they purposely set the excesses high in order to discourage small claims.
Bill

Upvote 0

maggio

Free Member
Jul 5, 2012
limousin
Funster No
MH
challenger
Exp
thanks

A sensible response. There was no intention to offend; :Doh: naturally everyone has different views and opinions, which either good or bad should be shared. My comments were reference a specific time of year July/Aug, to a specific fraternity of people ie holiday makers/motorcampers at that time of year. Indeed, we pretty much experienced the same mentality whilst working for a french camping company in the gironde last year. Out of season and out of the context of motorcamping, the french are by in large, friendly and helpful although not generally quite as sociable as perhaps the english, german etc etc; Given that my wife is French and my son is doing his masters at clermont uni, life in france is alot of fun :thumb: Reference the campsites; for those that are looking for economical stop overs during the height of season and are using "all the aires" as a book of reference, it may be wise to avoid the aires that are associated with campsites. Just as you say, like the Olympics, any opportunity to make quick money will be exploited; even down to paying premium prices to have ice packs frozen etc etc or indeed very inflated prices to park a van in a field or car park, with no facilities, less than a meter away from your neighbour; whom for whatever reason will thing nothing of taking a chunk out of your van, as he opens up in the early hours of the morning. The municipal aires offer far better value for money and indeed security, if indeed that is what you are looking for. For all others that value their motorcaravan and want to avoid having it used as a set of rugby posts, I would strongly suggest they give the ski station resort of superbesse, :roflmto:(excellent for children) in summer, a very wide berth!!

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
A sensible response. There was no intention to offend; :Doh: naturally everyone has different views and opinions, which either good or bad should be shared. My comments were reference a specific time of year July/Aug, to a specific fraternity of people ie holiday makers/motorcampers at that time of year. Indeed, we pretty much experienced the same mentality whilst working for a french camping company in the gironde last year. Out of season and out of the context of motorcamping, the french are by in large, friendly and helpful although not generally quite as sociable as perhaps the english, german etc etc; Given that my wife is French and my son is doing his masters at clermont uni, life in france is alot of fun :thumb: Reference the campsites; for those that are looking for economical stop overs during the height of season and are using "all the aires" as a book of reference, it may be wise to avoid the aires that are associated with campsites. Just as you say, like the Olympics, any opportunity to make quick money will be exploited; even down to paying premium prices to have ice packs frozen etc etc or indeed very inflated prices to park a van in a field or car park, with no facilities, less than a meter away from your neighbour; whom for whatever reason will thing nothing of taking a chunk out of your van, as he opens up in the early hours of the morning. The municipal aires offer far better value for money and indeed security, if indeed that is what you are looking for. For all others that value their motorcaravan and want to avoid having it used as a set of rugby posts, I would strongly suggest they give the ski station resort of superbesse, :roflmto:(excellent for children) in summer, a very wide berth!!

"sensible response. ...

There was no intention to offend"

I didn't think for one moment that you intended to be offensive...
It was your opinion, your view, of something you felt very strongly about something that had happened to you, .......

It was just how your reply came across .... other people may see France a little differently,...and not share the same views.........they may not share my views........."everybody's Different"

"naturally everyone has different views and opinions, which either good or bad should be shared"...........

The secret is how we share them....

"for those that are looking for economical stop over's during the height of season July/August...and are using "all the aires" as a book of reference, it may be wise to avoid the aires that are associated with campsites." ........

But many Funsters that come over like Aires and use the campsites in France during the months of July and August
and are very happy with them....what are the difference to the campsites in the UK during the school holidays....they are also very busy...............Not our cup of Tea.............but as you say "everybody's Different"

"The municipal aires offer far better value for money and indeed security, if indeed that is what you are looking for."......

Are Municipal sites good value and offer security....YES....
Would they be ideal for a lot of funsters coming across in the height of the French Holiday season July August and not used to Aires,...or... coming over to France for the first time, or.. for funsters that only use campsites in the UK......YES.... .....( this is if they can get a pitch!!? )...

BUT..its not for everybody... we do nothing but Aires in France...as many French motorhomers, and also Funsters from the UK ...and we have never had a problem...... there are that many Aires to choose from and as long you do not go to the most popular Aires what everybody use... fine.......

Horses for courses

Looks like we agree on a few things:winky::winky::thumb:

(This is just my opinion and not meant to be offensive)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

maggio

Free Member
Jul 5, 2012
limousin
Funster No
MH
challenger
Exp
thx

Just setting up for a visit to pompadour::bigsmile: families day at the racehorse... abs top venue, where you are encouraged to take your own picnic and enjoy the racing! certainly one of the best venus of the year!!!::bigsmile:

Bonne nuit

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
During July and August the qualitity of the french holiday maker is different; by that i mean far more selfish than normal. As long as they are ok, bugger everyone else!! Although polite and seemingly helpful they are very much for themselves. It is very unlikely that you will be offered "aperos" or a social drinkie poos by a French motorcamper on tour. So dont expect social evenings with the french!! Businesses love the english whilst the wallet is open!! It is prob the same the world over but it appears more obvious here. When you visit an aire, Park exactly where you want, because if you dont, someone else will!! If you can avoid aires that are NOT in anyway associated with a campsite you will do better; We turned up at one on the swiss border to be charged 16 euros to be crammed into the carpark outside the campsite (normally used by night time late returners to the campsite). Needless to say we didnt stop; I general where Aires share campsite facilities you will "get your pants pulled down over the price and or facilities" Campsites will invariably charge for EVERYTHING. Pure greed would be an understatement!! It wouldnt be fair if the Dutch fraternity didnt get a brief mention; Second to the English, they are generally friendly and english speaking but unlike the english beware of offering hospitality. The Dutch will take what ever is going for free. For us, the english, no matter what time of the year, are the most sociable, helpful and thoughtful people to be around. Welcome to france!!!:Smile:

What a terribly jaundiced view of the French and Dutch-are there any other nationalities who have offended your sensibilities whilst on your travels?
I have only limited experience of France-but I must say that in 30yrs of travelling in France (only 3 in motorhome) I have never come across the sort of people you describe !!
But then,unless they are displaying a Fun sticker,we avoid 'les Rosbif' like the plague.::bigsmile:

Mike.

Upvote 0

maggio

Free Member
Jul 5, 2012
limousin
Funster No
MH
challenger
Exp
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

well done to you both; Lets hope it remains that way::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi I would just book your ferry or tunnel and then head where you want dont make to many plans then you cant break them. [HI]I would also buy the all the aires book for France[/HI] this will give you a list of thousands of aires that you can stay for a night or two they range from a basic car park to lovely little secluded pitches. Everyone is different loads free and other have small charges depending on what facilities they have. An example we stayed at one in Hornfluer 10euro a night and this included hook up and we have stayed in others with hook up for as little as 4 euro.

Well thanks Gerry and iandsm for the French Aires Book advice, I have the CD/DVD with the ACSI pack but usually just cross the ditch and get on with it.

I have just received the book in the post following your recommendation and just flicking through it I see I've missed quite a few cracking little AIRES within spitting distance of where I've been.

I found the one at Metz following (Hildweller) itinerary for Lake Garda but chose to stay on the site next door for my own reasons, but many of them look ideal, so THANKS Guys.

Griff .............:thumb:

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
[
We always used to book a one way ferry leaving us free to book our return journey as and when, but when booking our Travel Insurance this year was told that unless we had a return journey booked the insurance was invalid, this is worth checking out.[/QUOTE]

I thought I'd better look into this so contacted my insurance co. who said that I would be covered without a return booking and added that "as long as I intended to come home it would be OK" That's a relief as I hadn't given this issue any consideration so thanks for raising the point.

Wyn

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back