First trip spain (1 Viewer)

Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
Travelling from the isle of man to Heysham 28 march should arrive Heysham midnight hoping to get down past Birmingham to beat the traffic is there anywhere round brum or out skirts where we could park up for a few hours before catching the tunnel later that day
Also looking for advice on dog friendly sites in Spain on the coast only have 17 days

thank you for any advice given

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
campercontact will find you sites in the areas you want most site have a web site for further details weve been there the last three months and only found two site that didnt take dogs

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I think 1st April is Easter in Spain this year so I suspect you will not get an Acsi discount for that weekend.

I assume North coast? Although I suspect some sites will not be open this early in the north.

If so the camper stop at Carbarceno is worth visiting.

For a nice sunset and half decent cafe just outside the gates of the campsite the Acsi site in Zarautz is worth a visit. The site cafe was not very good at all.

In my experience there are very few dog free sites in Spain. I suspect most sites will be fairly empty at this time of the year.

The weather in the north may be a bit bracing/wet in March/April time though.

It will probably be better south of the mountains.

Its a long way for a round trip in 17 days so be prepared for some long days on the motorways.

Have a great trip. (y)

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We use ACSI off season now all the time you will find most foreign sites like animals (Dogs, Cats, Rabbits, Ferrets, Tropical Fish, birds etc etc and I'm not joking) we have found very few who refuse

We have a tunnel crossing a couple of days before you but we are heading to Twin Lakes for a month before we go to Southern France - Spain is November time before we go

Don't forget you will have to show tunnel staff your gas is turned off so expect to open your gas locker for them to watch you turn it off as I find out it's the easiest way

Easter is beginning of April so ACSI will not be available but ask anyway sometimes their charges aren't far removed plenty of great sites around Barca either side of the city but watch where the airport is can get noisy

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Agree with above, acsi give details about sites accepting dogs. We've travelled extensively throughout Spain and found most sites accept dogs. Problem has always been finding beaches that allow dogs. We've found a few of these in certain parts of Spain. As you are travelling in the low season some places become a little more relaxed about taking dogs on beaches but you should always carry bags to show any patrolling police that you intend to clean up. You are always better off using the more 'windswept' or 'natural' beaches that have few tourists on them. The area around Rubina resort in Empuriabrava have a good dog beach and showers to clean your dog at the gate to the beach. We used it last year and although its a little more expensive they do offer a discount for the longer you stay.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Here you go !
Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is an award winning database about France. It has a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. This route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large. Note: (HGV’s are not allowed on French roads, Sunday’s, so plan your journey over a weekend if possible).

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Tolls: Avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux. (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (€1.80). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.

To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (From Jct 6 €8.90 in total) (Fuel costs approx. €147.84 (Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.40 per ltr. 3.5T motorhome)). This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last toll booth and crossing the river. Also here are Repsol fuel stations and shopping opportunities. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.

https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm

Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, (or toll free costs) use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00

https://www.park4night.com/

Finally, probably the best off line maps ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
dont rule out the camperstops that are springing up in spain we stay at st juan 20 miles south of beni and it was 8 euros a night less than a minute to the beach and trans to beni showers toilets all included

OP
OP
D
Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
Really do not have issue relaxing on a campsite as long as is not 40 pound a night 8 euro a night I would jump at have you got any names for the ones in Beni
please

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back