First trip not gone so well , no power (1 Viewer)

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
do you not have any of those batteries you took from me Wack to maybe change over and try

OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Wasn't me , I wasn't quick enough for free batteries :D

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Glad you are sorted albeit temporarily , it does sound like your hab battery has gone too low, or the charger has failed

hopefully just the battery as that should be the cheaper and easier fix šŸ‘ and might already be sorted, you could try taking off the extra charger and see what happens now itā€™s charged

how old is the battery? It seems like 5 years is a typical life, although some do much better ours failed at 4 years

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Wasn't me , I wasn't quick enough for free batteries :D
whoops, sorry my mind must have gone.
edit : just checked my pms, it was macca1954.

Id say keep the ctek plugged in, its looking toward knackered on board charger or batts.

OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
A little light reading
Thanks for that , they charged someone ā‚¬232 to change a capacitor , I know a hifi repair guy who I'm sure could look at it if it's not charging

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The clicking relay reminds me very much of the knackered mains charger I had in my Knaus some years back.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The clicking relay reminds me very much of the knackered mains charger I had in my Knaus some years back.
It was a similar unit that included mains charger and 12V distribution/fuses. Rather than sending the unit off for repair I simply disconnected the mains from it. I bought a new multi stage charger and connected this to the batteries separately, quicker and cheaper than repair. The original unit continued to do the 12 V stuff without a problem and without further noise.

OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Currently on the bus to Bakewell , I think the driver goes banger racing at weekends but gets the practice in weekdays at work

We seem to be aiming for the apex of bends with braking as a last resort

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Currently on the bus to Bakewell , I think the driver goes banger racing at weekends but gets the practice in weekdays at work

We seem to be aiming for the apex of bends with braking as a last resort
Maybe he's Italian šŸ˜Ž

OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've charged the battery with the ctec and all day yesterday and overnight I've still got power

The TV is now running on the mains instead of 12v

It's either the battery is goosed and the ctec has recovered it enough to take a charge or the charger isn't working , something I'll check when I get back

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just had a stupid thought - the charger is switched on isn't it? By that I mean is there 240v power to it. Mine can be turned off at the 240v breaker unit.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Just had a stupid thought - the charger is switched on isn't it? By that I mean is there 240v power to it. Mine can be turned off at the 240v breaker unit.
The op says he believes it has power, it is buzzing and clicking.

OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm thinking it's the charger too

The 12v has been working fine but just now when I tried using the water pump and heating some water its cut out again

It sounds like it's working because when you cut the 230v power the noise stops , I'm going to put the ctec on it again tonight

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
I realise that this is an old thread but my three penn'orth might help . When abroad in particular our Calira starts ticking and I have found its due to low mains voltage.
I imagine its trying to connect to the line but cant get an output so isolates itself, My Cure is to drop off the mains until all the people with awning heaters have gone to bed then the voltage will rise again
Might save someone a headache when they re- read this thread
Mike
Calira 28/20

May 20, 2022
Odilienberg, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
I realise that this is an old thread but my three penn'orth might help . When abroad in particular our Calira starts ticking and I have found its due to low mains voltage.
I imagine its trying to connect to the line but cant get an output so isolates itself, My Cure is to drop off the mains until all the people with awning heaters have gone to bed then the voltage will rise again
Might save someone a headache when they re- read this thread
Mike
Calira 28/20
The Calira 38/20 has a design flaw by which the internal 12V supply will fail and consequently the unit will no longer charge the leisure battery. I repaired my brothers unit by modifying the circuitry and adding a small switched power supply internally to the Calira. It's running fine and this problem is likely gone forever. It appears that the Calira's will brake down when the leisure battery is bad, but ofcourse that's where one would expect that the charging circuitry will attempt to charge the bad battery.
The cost to repair is approx. onehunderd euro's.

OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Wack
It would be good to know what the final solution was for other readers of this thread.
athelas - Hi , thanks for joining the forum with your information.
I bought another battery and a seperate charger , if I could get the calira fixed for Ā£100 in the UK I'd do that but the cost of shipping it to the EU and back would double that.

May 20, 2022
Odilienberg, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Wack
It would be good to know what the final solution was for other readers of this thread.
athelas - Hi , thanks for joining the forum with your information.
The issue with the Calira is related to an internal 12Vdc power supply. The internal power supply is composed around a 12V 1.5 Amp voltage regulator which potentially can consume 12x1.5=18Watts of power. The transformer is only a 2.3 VA (=2.3 Watts) type and in case of a failure will just fail (overheated and burned! causing the windings to be interrupted). Consequently the unit will no longer charge the leisure battery.
Just replacing that transformer with a new one doesn't solve the design issue. As the transformer is clearly burned I considered that a safety issue underneath the wooden floor of my brother's camper, so I replaced the simple transformer with a fully protected power supply. As that is a DC power supply, I bypassed the bridge rectifier on the Calira PCB and left the internal 12V regulator to finally provide the 12V dc to the internals. Much better now than the original.

Wack Correct. I checked shipping cost from UK to NL and back with parcelhero.com. Depending on carrier and speed the total cost is from approx. Ā£50 and up. With above solution cost approx. Ā£85

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back