Just looking down the thread, thanks a lot
for all the suggestions.

I started writing a reply saying that we'd go off
to the Champagne area (we don't drink btw another
attribute I should perhaps have mentioned and then
reading of all your ideas I reached scousebird's
comments and fed Boulogne into the aa route
finder (I've no idea where anything is in France
at the moment) and see it's only 20 odd miles from Calaia.

Trouble is I read each suggestion and they all look good
and I can see I'm going to be touring all over NE France
in the week if I'm not careful :)

I can see I'm going to need to ponder this for some hours
but in the meantime Boulogne looks a pretty good campsite
if I'm going to book 1-2 nights to get started.

On the ACSI front can I book an ACSI site and then get the pack
at the campsite or should I buy it online now?

If I'm not going into cities am I right in thinking I don't
*need* a Crit Air?

Ooops just seen Lenny's comment that campsites won't be open
yet in April!

Marc
At the moment you probably won't need a crit air sticker. It's only needed for a few cities atm but do check the website. We have one as we went to Paris last year.

We didn't use a campsite at Boulogne, we stayed on the aire. If you follow the sign for Nausicca fron the autoroute you will find it at the top of the hill overlooking the harbour.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
If your a c&cc member ACSI is cheaper but Aires are the best option for this trip by the sound of things. Ideal for 1or 2 nights, often free and often in towns or villages. Take a look at camper contacts or search for sites etc and you may find you won't need an Aires book for this trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
@marc4242
The majority of French campsites in the ACSI system open at the start of April.
I hope that helps.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Re driving on the right
I find it's much easier in our van where I'm familiar with the controls and dimensions of the vehicle than when we have hired a car abroad
We use the ferry from Newcastle which avoids driving on both sides of roads on same day which I found a bit strange

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Thanks everyone for the ideas.

I looked at Champagne but I think we're going to
'turn right' and wander along the coast.

Ex51sss thanks for that driving tip.

Keades, Les Petit Andeleys and Rouen could mark
how far west I go I suppose.

Taking in scousebird's thoughts (not boring at all)
so far I have Calis, Boulogne and your other suggestions
including Honfleur. Oh I see at's west of Rouen well maybe
that could mark our west limit .. oh I see it's only 3 hours
from Calias.

Clarky, La Mailleraye-sur_seine looks good to, in fact
though I was originally thinking of hurtling S in order to
get some warmer weather, there are so many interesting / nice
sounding places and so near, we'll not be driving too much,
which I like ...

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
...suavecarve, I'll make a note of that area, thanks. We are not
keen cyclists, we've just recently bought 2 in order to be able
to get from campsites into towns and villages and do a bit of
exploring on back roads, all reasonably flat. I did briefly
think of ebikes but I think they need to be hidden to in a garage
and we've a fairly small motorhome. We don't have a satnav yet.
I don't know how to get data on the phone (and thus wifi) abroad
yet.

I'm coming round to the aries idea, those who do seem to swear
by them but I may book somewhere for our first night (although
I'm now only planning on going Calais to Boulogne!).

peterc I've put put those 2 Aires of yours on the list. I can see
quite a nice route evolving. "The town is picture postcard perfect
and if you arrive early enough you will get one of the electric hook
ups." What is earlyish for arriving at an Aire?

namwaldog I'll get a print of that traffic direction hint, thanks.

TerryL I've only booked the tunnel so far, I have to book at least
the first night, I don't think we're adventurous enough to arrive
in a nother country with nowhere to stay. I will go and get the
camperstop app for municipal sites. I'm going to play (err practice)
the Euro Truck Simulator for some virtual roundabout etc driving.

rogher good tip about the remembering to go back! ;-)

The Dude - thanks I've ordered that now. We plan on more trips
later in the year too.

xsparks what is the relationship between CCC and ACSI?

Thanks Sabino, yes it did

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Best advice I was ever given with regards to Aires is to make sure you are stopped by 4pm latest. Honfleur is very popular so maybe 3 ish if you want an EHU. If you can bring 2 hook up leads that will improve your chances of getting hooked up, as you may be s distance from the EHU point. If you get there by 1pm you can even have a nice seafood lunch in the harbour area, but that will not be cheap!

But don't worry too much because you will always get at least one French van turning up well after dark and finding somewhere to squeeze in.

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Hi Peter

I'll remember that 4pm tip. I'm glad you suggested 2 cables, as that's not something I'd have thought of.

There seems to be so much to have sorted before going, eg I have the ACSI book on the way, but do I need a CCI card, and a prepayment card? I'm not going on motorways so I don't think I need anything specifically for those.

Marc

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If your that keen on EHU, you may need a splitter, too, so that you can share with someone else.

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
If your that keen on EHU, you may need a splitter, too, so that you can share with someone else.

There is so much to this motorhoming thing. Eeh I remember the days when I couldn't figure how to remove hook-up cable from van ... splitter eh, I've never even heard of one of those or thought they were for hairs and points ...

myshell

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Funster No
Hi Marc, If you fancy a trip around some of the WW2 Normandy landing beaches & memorials feel free to download & print out the attached spread sheet.

Attachments

• WW2 Landings.xlsx
    11.2 KB · Views: 28
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i wouldnt plan anything other than the ferry until you can see where the weather is best our prefernce is to get a late ferry then stop the otherside we often use cite europe aire for first night then follow the best weather for a week i wouldnt go to far just wander down the coast for four days then come back

bfb

Free Member
Jun 25, 2012
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
I would agree that the Champage region is a beautiful place. I went to Epernay several times and stayed on campsites which are plentiful. Haven't used Aires there yet so can't advise. Driving on the right is easy, follow an Artic they stay at 56 mph so should be alright for you. Be careful of small towns. Side streets have the right of way and traffic can suddenly pull out in front of you and beware of speed signs they are kph not mph. Lots of lovely places to visit both on bike and foot but vineyards are mainly on the hills.
I would go there in a shot.:)

Apr 25, 2013
Bexhill-on-sea
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2006
Hi, I really recommend that you get a copy of "All the Aires, France" (VicariousBooks.co.uk or look on ebay). We use this extensively every year (for the last 10 years). Many of these aires are great, especially if you want to travel around. You don't have to commit yourself to a campsite if you're not sure you want to stay in that location. I also live in Sussex (TN39 - Bexhill). I'd be glad to share my record of where we have stayed, the aires used and how we rated them. I have it all readily available since we share it with others.

My wife kindly does almost all the driving and we both find it easy in France. They are very motorhome friendly and because the motorhome cab is quite high off the ground you can see over the top of cars so steering from the "wrong" side is not much of an issue at all.

Have fun, Bob

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
I'm just in the middle of ordering items required by law in France, eg headlamp benders, high-vis etc ... is there any legal requirement to put anything on the bike rack?

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Thanks Bob. I've just ordered from Vicarious (the ACSI) guide, but we do intend to often go to the continent and probably often to France, so I will pick up that Aires guide before we go again.

Yes, could I have your experience list.

Good visibility is something I've always liked when driving van based vehicles and I'm pleased to find you find it easy (even if as navigator). Hmm, that reminds me I must go research euro satnavs ...

Hi, I really recommend that you get a copy of "All the Aires, France" (VicariousBooks.co.uk or look on ebay). We use this extensively every year (for the last 10 years). Many of these aires are great, especially if you want to travel around. You don't have to commit yourself to a campsite if you're not sure you want to stay in that location. I also live in Sussex (TN39 - Bexhill). I'd be glad to share my record of where we have stayed, the aires used and how we rated them. I have it all readily available since we share it with others.

My wife kindly does almost all the driving and we both find it easy in France. They are very motorhome friendly and because the motorhome cab is quite high off the ground you can see over the top of cars so steering from the "wrong" side is not much of an issue at all.

Have fun, Bob

Apr 25, 2013
Bexhill-on-sea
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2006
I have a very old, basic TomTom sat nav and my wife has a new Falcon sat nav with the abitity to set the size and weight of our motorhome so can aviod any unsuitable road sections. Both of these have good coverage of France (and some other parts of Europe) so I am guessing that virtually any sat nav will too.

I'm not sure how this funster site works with respect to giving contact details but if it is possible to have your e-mail address I'll send you my list. Alternatively do you live far from Bexhill on sea?

bfb

Free Member
Jun 25, 2012
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
To the SUNDANCEKIDS I read about the vicarious books website. Thanks for putting me on to it . Very very usefull

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
I'm impressed with the Crit'Air process, I applied at the weekend and have already received an email from them with a picture of my allocated roundel and confirmation that the printed one is in the post.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The campsite at Les Andelys is open from mid march. It's not bad at all, we stayed last July for our friends ruby wedding. We are off again in May but will be on their drive, they might even let us in the house. The carpark outside the gate was being used as an unofficial aire by a few vans but there are no facilities. We've been visiting it for over 20 years and can't believe how Petit Andelys has changed, it used to be dead but is now a stop for river cruises and has cafes, shops and restaurants. All very low key. Grande Andelys has the supermarkets. Lots of nice cycle paths. Chateau Gaillard is a ruin but worth the walk and the views are amazing.
Rouen is a beautiful city.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back