first trip abroad what do i need (1 Viewer)

kilgettyblade

Free Member
Jan 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
burstner 747
Exp
were off to croatia next week never taken the mh abroad 5t tag ive ordered travel kit with warning triangle etc. ive been reading various posts and funsters taking v5 so what do i need legally to take with me. i think were going france belguim germany austria slovinia croatia. we will need gobox etc as want to do it in 3-4 days thanks

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We were stopped at a police road block in southern Germany in June and our Umwelt sticker was checked. We were near Austrian border and not in one of the cities.

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
It never occurred to me on our first trip abroad that Calor gas is not available outside the UK. Each country has their own variations of LPG (which is what's in Calor's bottles). The simplest solution is to have a refillable system, otherwise look into using the country's own bottles.

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We went back to Black Forest region in September and, for speed to catch up friends, we took the French autoroutes, lovely easy drive in one day. Returning from the region we went Germany Luxembourg, Belgium and it took two days, much slower and loads of roadworks. We have a toll tag, bip and go, for French autoroutes.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Take original V5 and copies of insurance documents. I keep photocopies of documents in “the cloud” too.
EHIC cards and travel insurance. Put a card under your sunshield with all your dimensions, tyre pressures etc written clearly in both imperial and metric units and bar and psi.
If kph not easily readable on your speedo, get a satnav which displays kph or a simple free phone app and attach your phone to an air vent. 50kph usually starts at the town name sign and stops at the town name sign with a line through. Slightly odd, the German town signs are on the left of the road. Know your lower limits on the main roads.

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
International Driving Permit and Green Card just in case no deal Brexit happens.

Wild camping is not allowed in Slovenia or Croatia and most sites will be closed now. Have you booked anywhere? If you don’t already have it, download the Campercontact app which has aires, etc. Can recommend Parking Benetic, Crnomelj, Slovenia, on the border (literally!) and Camping Bear, Rakovica, Croatia, (you can use the washing machine free for one wash) which is near the Plitvice National Park, a must see!

The Krka National Park is well worth a visit too, Camp Marina, Lozovac, is close.

Nearly everyone speaks English so language isn’t a problem, though Google translate can be useful in supermarkets.

Try to get Croatian currency before you cross the border and have all your documents ready: passports, V5, Driving Licence, Insurance,etc.

Love Croatia! Enjoy!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kilgettyblade

kilgettyblade

Free Member
Jan 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
burstner 747
Exp
thanks for replies weve got to be there and back in 10 days so new gas bottle before we go and wont be using hook up if were staying on motorway do we need umwelt sticker

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
As far as I know sticker not legally required if not going into one of the cities with restrictions. I was very surprised to be checked and I don’t know what they would have said if I didn’t have one.
I was on an ordinary road not autoroute.

Edit: sorry about double negative but you know what I mean.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't eat burgers Croatian ones are disgusting and I hope you like your meals with the contents of a salt mine on them otherwise it's not a bad place.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
weve got to be there and back in 10 days
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: That`s an awful lot of driving for a 10 day trip, is it warmth you`re after ? would southern france not be a better option ?
Calais - Pula 1600 km
Calais - Montpellier 1050 km
Agree with Lenny, use an ATM for currency but not the one outside the campsite, find one in town (y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If kph not easily readable on your speedo, get a satnav which displays kph or a simple free phone app and attach your phone to an air vent. 50kph usually starts at the town name sign and stops at the town name sign with a line through. Slightly odd, the German town signs are on the left of the road. Know your lower limits on the main roads.
I'm getting quite good with speed limits nowadays, but even after several years of driving in Europe I occasionally miss a limit. I have Copilot on a tablet, and it beeps a loud warning if I exceed what it thinks is the limit. Something like that is essential I think, especially if you are driving off the motorways to avoid tolls.

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
If you're crossing by boat and the ferry companies are still trying to flog those breath test kits don't bother they are definitely not required.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back