First timing in France (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We are planning a two week trip to France in September (probably middle to end). Some questions:
1. Recommended books? We've heard about aires...isn't there a book listing lots of them. Or any other inexpensive sites. We don't want big sites with all facilities, just somewhere to fill up with water and get rid of waste. And cycling distance to a village.
2. Gas? At the moment we have a single propane bottle (only had MH two weeks so need to source another). What problems will I run into? Do I need to buy something suitable for France?
3. We'd like to get somewhere central France. we've done Brittany, Vendee, Loire, Alsace. Would like to get a bit further down. I know that leaves a big area but is it realistic to get central with maybe a couple of overnight stops? Don't want to be driving all day though.

I'm sure there's loads more questions. SWMBO will be looking at places. She always wants to be planning the next holiday (or the one after that). She doesn't 'do' forums though, so I'll ask the questions.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi Steve

Don't know what you mean by further down.... but if you need some free overnight stop or even longer , no problem at my place. I'm down South Est next to Toulouse; You can plug in for usual electric needs (errr kettles usually blow up all my house:whatthe:) you can fill up with water but I have no dump place, except toilet (plenty here ...it's a stadium) or if you have a cassette (not a tank) we can use one of the manholes here and dump there, but you need a strong iron bar to lift the top. You have lots of cycling to do, you have a swimming pool (walking or cycling distance) and all the supermarkets you could wish. A few bars and restaurants at a walking distance. There's as well a motorhome dealer at about 3 or 4 kms.

Happy travels

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Last edited:

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
You need All the Aires book which you get here https://www.vicarious-shop.com/home.php
'Le Guide Officiel Camping Caravaning 2014' ISBN: 9782358390316 You also need this one which will give you every site in France, it's in French but easy to use. I bought mine off Amazon because it was cheaper. 'Le Guide Officiel Camping Caravaning 2014' ISBN: 9782358390316

I used to go over for 3 weeks at a time with only 2 6kg's and never even used one

Enjoy France, it's motorhome heaven :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi
You should be ok for gas providing you start with a full one.
How far do you want to go? Decide on your destination then use Michelin maps or something like it which will give you an idea of how many hours it will take to get there then decide how many hours you want to drive in one go.
Main thing is to enjoy it :thumb:

Cheers. Nige

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
1. There are some good books but I prefer to use the French site www.campingcar-infos.com for up to date aire details. They have free POI files that you can download (just before setting off) for a SatNav, and a free mobile phone App. That's all I ever use to plan a trip.

2. Gas depends on how big your existing cylinder is and what you use it for. If you stop on aires you'll use it for your fridge more than usual but it won't be huge amounts. I doubt if you'll need any for heating in southern France in September. We've never come close to using up a 13kg cylinder on a two week trip, or even half of one. If you fork out for a refillable cylinder and the correct pump nozzle adapter you'll never have any gas worries abroad but it is a bit of an outlay. We carry a 11Kg refillable and a 6Kg spare but we've not had to use the spare yet, and the refillable usually comes back at least half full.

3. Bearing in mind that French toll autoroutes are much easier to drive than English motorways (they're virtually empty by comparison) you can travel a lot further on them without getting tired. A two night trip to the bottom half of France is perfectly realistic. We'll typically drive from Calais to Poitiers or south of Dijon in a day, but we share the driving and don't mind putting full days of travelling in to reach the destination sooner. Two days would get you there at a good steady pace.

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
We regularly go down to the Dordogne. If you want to get there quick it's easy to get an early crossing then go Rouen, Dreux, Chartres,Orleans and stop south of Orleans for the night and then pick up Vierzon, Limoges, Brive and you are there.We don't do Peage but our relations who live there regularly come back in a oner using the Peage/Tunnel.We are just back and took the two days down and a leisurely three weeks back.I know which I prefer!:thumb:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Come and have a look at the Limousin - it is a beautiful region abounding with forests and lakes, and really enjoyable motoring. From Parc Verger you have an easy cycle ride along an old reilway line now with a tarmac surface to a couple of villages (one 9km, and one half that), and our own village (1km) is a co!mfortable stroll. Each has a decent bar to refresh yourselves before the return trio.:winky:

Parc Verger itself is a small quiet site with any number of interesting places to visit within an easy distance, and you'll enjoy our relatively empty roads. Subscribing Funsters enjoy a 10% discount too! :thumb:

Bob
www.parcverger.com

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , Try this site motorhomingfrance.co.uk very informative £12 a year or get all there info on a memory stick for £20 or £15 to there members.

Link Removed
Aire at St Aignan, scroll down for more images
Link Removed

AIRE: ST AIGNAN - JOSSELIN

Aire: ST AIGNAN

ADDRESS: PARKING BEHIND CHURCH
TEL: 02 97 27 50 20 FAX: 02 97 27 51 43
EMAIL: mairie@saint-aignan56.fr
TYPE OF AIRE: MUNICIPAL

FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/BLACK DRAIN/ ELECTRIC/ TOILETS

PRICES/ RATES: JETONS from MAIRIE or MUSEUM
PARKING: FREE SERVICES: FREE
OPENING TIMES: ALL YEAR
GPS COORDS: N48.18278 W03.01278
DIRECTIONS: From MUR-de-BRETAGNE take D18 SOUTH & exit LEFT to ST AIGNAN. Continue NORTH to village & turn RIGHT immediately after CHURCH to AIRE.
SITE DESCRIPTION A municipal aire located in a large tarmac car park behind the village church, backing onto farmland & bordered by mature trees offering shade - lit at night. The aire is on the east side of this small rural village (50m from shops) with the river to the east & a large lake 200m to the north (with fishing). Artisanal service point with drainage grid, ehu (by jetons) & small toilet block. Restaurant, grocer (with bread) & butcher in village as well as a museum of electricity.
REVIEW:
2009 A nice, quiet little aire with basic facilities in village as well as a couple of restaurants. Plenty of level spaces in car park with good shade. Campsite (2*) with 50 spaces just north of village next to Lac de Guerledan. Good area for walks.
2011 "Lovely stop in this pretty village at the end of the lake Guerledan with numerous walks around the lake, along the river Blavet or through the forest." RECOMMENDED CAMPING-CAR MAGAZINE

Link Removed
St Aignan
Link Removed Link Removed
St Aignan
Link Removed
Aire: JOSSELIN

ADDRESS: PLACE ST MARTIN
TEL: 02 97 22 24 17 FAX: 02 97 75 69 12
EMAIL: accueil@josselin.com
TYPE OF AIRE: MUNICIPAL

FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/BLACK DRAIN/ TOILETS

PRICES/ RATES: PAYABLE by CB
PARKING: FREE SERVICES: 2€ WATER
OPENING TIMES: ALL YEAR
GPS COORDS: N47.95611 W02.54958
DIRECTIONS: AIRE is located on WEST side of town next to RUE ST MARTIN.
SITE DESCRIPTION The municipal aireis located in a large tarmac parking area within a short walk of the town centre (150m), the parking has some shade around the sides with adjacent grass areas. There is an AireServices service point with drainage grid & toilets nearby.
Josselin is anhistoric town (a Petit Cite de Caractere) with a 12th Century turreted Chateau overlooking the Oust River, many 16th century half-timbered building and the Basilique Notre Dame du Roncier with its beautiful 15th and 16th century stained glass windows. There is also a museum as well as a weekly market (Saturday), shops, cafes & 2 supermarkets (Champion & Super U).
REVIEW: NO REVIEW YET -- CAN YOU ADD ONE?
Link Removed
Aire at Josselin
Parking at Josselin
Josselin Chateau
Josselin
Link Removed

This is the sort of info.

:sin:Terry:sin:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I've always found with France that serendipity is your best guide.........:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back