First timers to the winter sun (1 Viewer)

The Welsh Wizard

Free Member
Jul 24, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2016
Although I have had MH since 2016, due to family commitments, I have never been able to do the overseas trip without having to work to a timetable ie date leaving, where going, sites booked, date returning. Now that my wife and myself are totally ( as totally as can be) independent, at last, I am hoping that those experienced travellers amongst you can give me some pointers As to the following:-
1. Is it worth booking a return Eurotunnel ticket before I leave. I fear that this would restrict me time wise but it does bring some security.
2. If I go out to France and Spain in Sept and return in November, what facilities will be available for me to stay on coming back through France?
3. Just what are the Campsites like in southern Spain during Oct/Nov?
I’ve trawled through the threads re Spain and France but I need to get some reassurance from the true Motorhomers. I’m not embarrassed to ask nor to take advise so any ideas will be gratefully received-the more the better.
Thanks in anticipation

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
To answer your questions
1. Most health and breakdown insurance companies insist that you have a return journey booked, having said that there is nothing stopping you altering that date of return.

2 Not many campsites are open in November, there are some but few and far between. I have always used the aires in the villages and they are very good on average having water and emptying facilities. Sometimes free sometimes a few euros and some with electric.

3. The campsites we have used in Spain during the winter have been a very good standard but do fill up early so either book if you want to spend time at a particular site or just chance your luck. We have always found room

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
You may need to research those parts of France with the highest number of sheep. :giggle: ;) Apart from that,don’t worry,be ‘appy,and follow your nose.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If you dont need to book a return crossing, dont do so till a week or so before you come back. We always do this and found that the Calais Folkestone tunnel crossing is always cheaper than the return booked in the UK. Dont know why, but it has always been the case.

OP
OP
T

The Welsh Wizard

Free Member
Jul 24, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks . I wasn’t aware that failure to book a return ticket could affect my insurance. The beggars will do anything to avoid meeting a claim.
when you mentioned aires in France I have stayed in one or two already but that was in the summer months. Is there any information available about Aires in France and Spain that I could purchase do you know?
Appreciate and value your response

Ian.s

Free Member
Jan 18, 2016
Oban
Funster No
MH
Rs Endeavour
Exp
Since 1991
We had the pleasure of Jan Feb March until we had to return due to covid, We just book a one way trip out and have never had a problem on the return, Aires in France will be no problem and indeed the less popular the area the easier you will find a park. Cadiz and surrounding area no problem with parks and aires. Alicante area was rammed full and we found it best to avoid, I know it sounds an obvious thing to say but go inland if you cant find anything near the coast.... Oh and watch your speed in France, Im a slow driver in a slow motorhome and got three tickets. Off again Early Aug through france and Spain and into Portugal, Ive booked inland parks and found them very cheap, Back for Christmas

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks . I wasn’t aware that failure to book a return ticket could affect my insurance. The beggars will do anything to avoid meeting a claim.
when you mentioned aires in France I have stayed in one or two already but that was in the summer months. Is there any information available about Aires in France and Spain that I could purchase do you know?
Appreciate and value your response

I'd check with your insurance company as you don't want to find that if you haven't booked a return they won't pay out but if they aren't worried about it then you can do it later. We always book a return and then just change it when we're coming back.

We use the Camperstop book and the Camper Contact app. Lots on here use Park4night but we've not used it before but have now downloaded the app before our trip in September.

There are other books available. Check out Vicarious Books, they have lots of books but we've found Camperstop really good.

Deleted User
I've never known health or breakdown insurance requiring a return ticket.

Ive never seen it on a breakdown policy, but lots of health insurance companies do.

We’re with LV for travel/health who don’t insist on a return booking (or didn’t when I last renewed it)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Bear in mind in France between 1st November and 1st April a lot of the Aires turn the water off. Just remember to travel with a full tank.

We have never had a problem finding spaces in Sep/Oct/Nov or in Feb/Mar/April but we rarely use sites.

OP
OP
T

The Welsh Wizard

Free Member
Jul 24, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks to all of you for your contributions so far-including Podney. It’ll be a new experience for us but hey what’s the option-another 6/7 months looking at the same old four walls and getting another year older. I’ll continue to watch the threads and when “I RETURN“ I’ll post my own experience.🖐🖐🖖😁😁

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We book tunnel return trips using Tesco vouchers - and yes our travel insurance does insist we book a return ticket though don't want the dates. This is I think more to do with longer term trips affecting their "risk". We generally stick to our return plans, it's just our thing to sort of give us a target for coming back, although we've never had a problem changing the return crossing, just a quick phone call. But do it at least 24 hours before because the "same-day" ticket price suddenly jumps quite steeply!

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Very common with Travel insurance policies.

You are right of course.
We always have had a maximum number of days insurance rather than date specific.
Sometimes one forgets there are other ways of doing things.
My apologies to the OP

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Ian.s

"Oh and watch your speed in France, I'm a slow driver in a slow motorhome and got three tickets"

I'd sack that Guide Dog and get yourself a new driver.:roflmto:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We book tunnel return trips using Tesco vouchers - and yes our travel insurance does insist we book a return ticket though don't want the dates. This is I think more to do with longer term trips affecting their "risk". We generally stick to our return plans, it's just our thing to sort of give us a target for coming back, although we've never had a problem changing the return crossing, just a quick phone call. But do it at least 24 hours before because the "same-day" ticket price suddenly jumps quite steeply!

Just beware when using Tesco Vouchers. They can't be used for single tickets returning from France. ie You're "over there, and want to come back" They can however be used for Single tickets From the UK.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
"Oh and watch your speed in France, I'm a slow driver in a slow motorhome and got three tickets"
You must have a strange definition of slow, I've been driving in and through France nearly every year for 40 years never had a ticket. :giggle:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I believe you wouldn't have too many problems with sites in Spain this year, the rallies wont be there, use Park4Night app and you won't go too wrong, read the reviews of others...Spain is a true winter location...most Aires are open offering overnighting and services....some restrictions in some areas regarding wild camping/overnight parking...hope you enjoy...

Ian.s

Free Member
Jan 18, 2016
Oban
Funster No
MH
Rs Endeavour
Exp
Since 1991
Two tickets at 52 and one 53 in a 50, Im sure you're aware that the limits all changed and it had been left to regions for the signage. All three tickets on previously 60mph limits. Incidently, I have also been driving in France for thirty years. Never had a ticket before.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
No change for us we are 4.5t.

Tickets for 52 & 53 means you were doing 57 & 58.

Last edited:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
You must have a strange definition of slow, I've been driving in and through France nearly every year for 40 years never had a ticket. :giggle:
Neither have I.

I was quoting Ian.s

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Park4Night is very good, doesn't cost much but is well worth having, we've used various apps and this is by far the best one.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Park4Night is very good, doesn't cost much but is well worth having, we've used various apps and this is by far the best one.
Depends where you are we have never had much luck with it, appears to be fine if you have a very small van or camper. Always takes us to places where there is just not enough room or trees far too low. Last time I used it in Portugal last year managed to squeeze down the road got to the car park and you would have struggled to get a people carrier in.
Might just be our bad luck, Tam @Northernraider uses it all the time & his last van was bigger than mine.
By contrast Camper Contact has only let us down a couple of times in about 4 years.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Depends where you are we have never had much luck with it, appears to be fine if you have a very small van or camper. Always takes us to places where there is just not enough room or trees far too low. Last time I used it in Portugal last year managed to squeeze down the road got to the car park and you would have struggled to get a people carrier in.
Might just be our bad luck, Tam @Northernraider uses it all the time & his last van was bigger than mine.
By contrast Camper Contact has only let us down a couple of times in about 4 years.
We always read the reviews which usually mention if there are access etc issues.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just beware when using Tesco Vouchers. They can't be used for single tickets returning from France. ie You're "over there, and want to come back" They can however be used for Single tickets From the UK.
That's why we always book return tickets! It also means one less thing to worry about if we have to return in a hurry - as in March this year.................................. :nod:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back