First timers - some queries! (1 Viewer)

felipefm

Free Member
Jul 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rental
Hi everyone, thanks for having us! Me and my partner, after a long time want, are renting a motorhome to spend a few weeks around Kent to see if we enjoy the motorhome life, for both future travels and maybe buying one for ourselves. We rented a T-726 I believe, 4 berth? We're taking our two dogs as well. Well, our main concern is that we're not renting or joining any campervan site/community, prices seem to be a bit on the high at the moment. We're going to try and talk to local people about parking our motorhome and finding more about the local people in the process. One doubt I have is, how long can you go with the fridge working if you are not hooked to an outlet when stationery? We'll be doing local trips possibly every day, so the motorhome will be on the go... possibly only two days max parked etc. Our main concern is the fridge, as we won't be using the telly or charging our devices much. I guess what I'm asking is: would two days without charging keep everything still on? and secondly, can we charge the motorhome somewhere else aside from the campsites, like petrol stations or any other areas who might allow us to ? Many thanks for your help!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Two questions.

Do you have a solar panel recharging the battery?

Are you going to run the fridge on gas?

The fridge will run on gas for prolonged periods but I doubt that you will find many places to “plug in” and recharge your batteries outside a campsite.

If your main concern is the fridge, (assuming it is a three way mains/12volt/gas system then you should be ok running the fridge on gas.

More explanation of your fridge fuel supplies would help, ie is it a three way or 12v only.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Most modern fridges only work on 12v off the battery when the engine is running.

They only work on electricity, 240v, when the EHU is plugged into the mains.

When the engine is stopped, and there is no 240v mains electricity, then they revert to gas.

There is a 15 minute wait after the engine has been stopped before the pilot light will ignite and the gas flows.
This is to ensure that if you stop for fuel, the pilot light does not come on in a fuel station!

If you fridge works on 12v with the engine off (some do) then you have about 8hrs running time before the battery runs flat (depending on temperature of course)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
When are you going? As you are no doubt aware parking is difficult during school holidays and even more so now with far more people than usual not holidaying abroad.
I'm generalising but with the huge increase in m/h ownership during Covid and the restrictions on touring abroad some locals are not too keen on interlopers parking 'informally' overnight in their area.
You can Google 'Motorhome parking - (+town name)' for the towns of interest to find parking but many car parks don't allow overnight parking.
Some pubs will allow you to stay overnight but unsurprisingly it's generally accepted to be courteous to eat/drink there.

A couple of sources for site searching other than those run by the two main recognised clubs........(there are many more).

www.searchforsites.co.uk

Park4night

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If not using a TV the battery will last quite a few days but bear in mind if it gets low it will take around 300 miles driving to charge it so you will need to stop at a site every few days to charge the battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back