First Timers collecting new van, Berlin. Stop over recommendations for way back?? (1 Viewer)

Jun 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxdrive 680ME
Exp
None
Hi everyone,

We fly to Berlin in a week's time to collect our new Knaus Boxdrive to drive it home via Dieppe.

Any recommendations for quick overnights for the trip back? For various reasons we need to get back to the UK without much delay - the enjoyment aspect of it won't come until later!

Thanks in advance for any help

OP
OP
K
Jun 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxdrive 680ME
Exp
None
It would help if you stated whether you are looking for campsites or stellplatz/aires, or even wildcamping.

Geoff

Thanks for replying Geoff, Stellplatz/Aires strike me as the best option for quick overnights on a journey that we just have to complete as soon as we can but open to all suggestions - but wild camping may be a bit too adventurous for our first night or two. (Even though that is our main intention when we do get the chance)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
ditto
Worth getting Campercontact
You can look at everything on a map and also has reviews and tips.
If possible, spend at least one night at or near the dealer, there are bound to be things you want to check with them.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
One we have used frequently is

Wachtendonk (Campercontact 859)

GPS:

N 51.40647, E 6.33104
N 51°24'23", E 6°19'52"

Signposted in the town.

It is on the edge of a pleasant small town and very quiet. Not far off E40 Autobahn just inside the German Dutch border, thus the Dutch sounding name.

€7.00 per night with water and electric available. Pay in an honesty box.

I agree about first night near dealer, even if it means more kms. the next days.

Geoff

OP
OP
K
Jun 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxdrive 680ME
Exp
None
Thanks everyone, we've just tried booking the ferry and were surprised to find the Dieppe to Newhaven ferry on Thursday afternoon is booked out - for any kind of vehicle/passenger :oops::( And Watchendonk looked perfect.

So have to change plans, will go Berlin to Calais on the Weds, stay overnight and train it over (under?) the Thurs morning. So a different search now. Sorry about that......

(have downloaded Campercontact now Wombles/Riverbankannie, thanks)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Out of interest what insurance cover have you got as UK based insurers don't normally give comprehensive until you land in the UK?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Out of interest what insurance cover have you got as UK based insurers don't normally give comprehensive until you land in the UK?

Which is ridiculous as one could be back in EU with the MH the next day with Comprehensive insurance. How would they know the MH had landed in the UK?

Geoff

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Problem being lots of insurers in the case of personal import won’t touch you and if they do they sting you for insuring on the VIN. The export plates cover you anywhere in EU third party.
We used German export plates and took it a bit steady didn’t have any problems.
Good luck to you and enjoy your new van.????

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Which is ridiculous as one could be back in EU with the MH the next day with Comprehensive insurance. How would they know the MH had landed in the UK?

Geoff
I'm not asking from a 'legal' point of view (although obviously that's something that is required!) but from a 'risk' point of view as temporary export plates will only have third-party cover so if the OP is in an accident etc they won't be covered for their own vehicle's damage. Not sure it's a risk I'd take despite it probably being very small.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
We stopped in Wernigerode on the way to Berlin, not exactly right on route, but we were fed up with congested motorways, and roadworks, anyways worth a visit.
C7F6631D-B900-4154-B0A4-59CCB4556B94.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back