FIRST TIMER - ROUTE TO NORTHERN ITALY (1 Viewer)

pygocentrus

Free Member
Jun 13, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
Hi help please

I am going on 28th july to Northern Italy (I would appreciate some beautiful suggestions in Northern Italy) but I would also like a route for a 8m motorhome to get there. I have a 15 month old girl so would appreciate a list of camp parks that I can prebook and details OF ferry please.

I am totally in the dark.

PLEASE HELP

Thanks

Gavin

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hello, it would probably be easier to add further questions to your original, to save confusion / duplication

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
We're heading that way in July. From Teesside, overnight in Ypres, then point due south and we're hoping to get down to Freiburg that night. a couple of days there and then planning an overnight at the top of the Alps (Sustenpass), down to the Italian Lakes the next day. Heading back eventually west and via France. All the major alpine passes will accommodate your vehicle easily.

Lake Garda is nice but likely to be very busy. Smaller lakes like Idro and Iseo might be better to head towards. The Lido over near Venice again will be busy but the campsites are huge, so often have space. All depends what you want !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you go through Switzerland and used Swiss-owned tunnels (ie Gotthard) your toll will be included in the very reasonable one-off Motorway Carnet fee you pay on entry at the border. If you go through a French-owned tunnel you'll pay a whacking great toll, Mont Blanc being a case in point. Definitely worth looking at tunnel fees well ahead of planning your trip.

If you're a first timer you might prefer a tunnel route as opposed to the windy windy uppy downy brakey overheaty non tunnel routes such as the Col de Montgenevre, but one day you should give it a go as the scenery is stunning.

No shortage of campsites beside Lake Garda south of Lazise, and a pleasant Motorhome only site at Torbole at the Northern end, although last time we were there the stay was limited to 2 or 3 nights.

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Spent a lot of time early this year researching the very same trip but due to various reasons didn't actually do it. My MH is 4.250 Tonne GVW so would have needed a Go-Box to go through Austrian Tolls roads. The price charged also depends on the Euro version of your engine. The more modern the less the charge but you have to prove the Euro Class. We intended to go via Germany then Austria and visiting some of the smaller lakes to avoid the crowds. Hope it goes well for you, tell us how you get on please.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I guess this MH will have full air conditioning, which I think you will appreciate with a 15 month old as it is likely to be blisteringly hot in northern Italy at this time of the year. But this means you have to be sure of an electric hook up every night.

Even if you can get the electrics it might be worth having a Plan B up your sleeve, say visiting Austria if it all proves too hot.

I'm not trying to put you off!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back