First timer, bought sight unseen from ebay! (1 Viewer)

browne4573

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
north east scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I know I am ridiculously stupid, been looking for a while but live up in the north east of scotland so there are not many for sale round this way. Ended up hovering round ebay until I see one that's been relisted a few times then made a very low offer.

So it arrived yesterday on the back of the transporter and overall I am moderately pleased.

I have bought a mitsubishi 1983 l300 based pioneer coachbuilt motorhome. No immediate signs of damp inside. And most of what I have tried to use so far seems to be working. Even the water heater which I am most surprised about.

The thing that is really stumping me is the electrics. There seems to be a consumer unit with a couple of mcb's feeding sockets. There are also a plethora of lights in the living area none of which I can figure out how to get working. There is a pair of battery leads with no battery in the wardrobe, however connecting a battery up to these does not make the lights work. These leads must be connected to the vehicle battery because when I accidentally touched them together there was a bit of a spark!

If the leisure battery is directly connected to the vehicle battery then surely it would just create a bigger battery but would still run down when in use. The water pump works fine off of the vehicle battery and the carver heater is connected here as well. Would it be likely that due to the age there is no split charging.

If any one has any info about this type of camper that they would like to share then I would really like to find out as much as I can, thanks.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi and greetings from another north east Scot. I must admit you are very brave buying on eBay sight unseen. I am glad you seem to have struck lucky and although I cannot help you with your electrics I am sure there will be a funster who can. I have received lots fo help.

I know exactly what you mean about trying to buy a motorhome in this area, I am looking for a small A class and have nothing except a slightly overpriced one that I decided to ignore.

Hope you have fun MH'ing and enjoy the besMH site on the web.

Norman

OP
OP
B

browne4573

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
north east scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Good morning.

I don't know about striking it lucky. I think I may have just struck it not too unlucky!
A lot of people talk about a habitation check, I am looking locally to see if there is anyone that could offer this. Don't want it all going up in flames! Do people normally put a smoke detector in their campers or would it be set off all the time if you are cooking.

So far I have got the water system working, the gas hob seems to work fine. The heater looks a bit old and dangerous! The oven doesn't seem to work at this point and i need new cushions for the seating area and maybe a new carpet for the floor.

I don't want to spend too much because it is an old old van but it has 12 months mot and according to the odometer has only done 48000 miles.

It is old and a bit beaten up but it does seem to have a real character about it. Next thing will be trying to figure out the electrics for the back. I really want to have a split charge arrangement so I can put a leisure battery in and not worry about running down the main battery, I am sure there must be a switch somewhere that makes the lights work, unless they only work from the ehu. That is my next thing to try.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the forum. It is feasable that there is a charge relay stuck. A mortorhome of that age would have one. However it is more likely some cobbled together electris that someone has added. Internal lights would most likely be a switch or fuse some pictures of the various switch panels would help. It is unlikely the lights are 240V however if it has a hookup there will be a charger switch that could be the problem. Gas appliences that have not been used for a while will have to be bled. A cheapo gas detector (under £10 from ebay) will help you see if gas is getting through. Thermocouple may need replacing to keep it alight, don't forget to hold the knob in for a while after lighting. Any battery for ignition will need replacing and you should check for leaking gas before lighting with a taper.
A vehicle of that age will have or have had water ingress problems so a lot of seals (back corners, windows and roof) will need checking.
Good luck and enjoy.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi, a Mitsubishi 1983 L300 based pioneer,is it the overcab bed coach built? I bought one of these in brand new in about 1983 from London Motor Caravans the Reg. was A222 SYM not the same one is it? ::bigsmile: Cost around £10,000 loved it, did over 70,000 miles without any trouble at all. The engine has counterbalance shafts running in the block and is so smooth, on a run down to Spain we got over 35mpg, and that's from a coach built. Even still got the brochure somewhere.

Ian

OP
OP
B

browne4573

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
north east scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Yeah that's the one, coachbuilt 4 berth, overcab bed and the dining area makes into another double. It seems really quite cute and has plenty of equipment. I would love to have a look at your brochure.

Can you remember how you make the lights work in the living area, I figure there must be a switch somewhere, I seem to have space for a leisure battery but can't see any charger or split charge arrangement. The leisure battery leads are connected to the main battery as they have voltage there even with a battery disconnected.

mine is c***cat so not the same one!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi check to see if there is a master switch as we have one at our back door so you can turn off lights as leaving mh yours might have something like that.

Good luck

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
There is a pair of battery leads with no battery in the wardrobe, however connecting a battery up to these does not make the lights work. These leads must be connected to the vehicle battery because when I accidentally touched them together there was a bit of a spark!

its quite possible that you have blown any fuses that are fitted, check these first if you can find them

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Sorry mate I can't remember if their was a leisure battery, and as for light switches?? We sold it in 1988. I don't suppose the ceiling lights have integral switches do they?

I do remember that the water heater is at the back and is plumbed into the engine coolant, so as you drive it heats the water, after a couple of hours driving its nearly boiling! The 230v electrics I think were pretty basic, and did no more than feed a couple of sockets and maybe the fridge. I will try and dig out the brochure.

Ian

Daisy21

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry I can't help but silly question I'm sure....but have you tried contacting the seller to ask them? Good luck :Smile:

OP
OP
B

browne4573

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
north east scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
The seller was selling it on behalf of their deceased father in law so has no more idea than me!

The ceiling lights all have integral switches but they don't come on with just the integral switches.

not blown any fuses as far as I can tell, the leads in the back would appear to be directly connected to the main vehicle battery. Maybe their just isn't any leisure battery split charge facility just room to fit an additional battery. I am not sure that driving the vehicle heats the water, I think it is a carver 2 which only works on gas.

it's all a bit complicated to try and figure out!

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi there
My mate's just bought an older type of van and he has to switch the lights-on via a switch on the zig unit then individually.
You'll probably need a leisure battery connected, though his did work from the vehicle battery.
Sorry i can't be more help

cheers...nige

OP
OP
B

browne4573

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
north east scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
That might be the answer, excuse me being a bit stupid, but what's a zig? What does it look like and where would I find it?

I have a power pack I connected up to the leads in the accomodation but the lights still didn't work.

I think there must be some kind of distribution switches which affect where the 12v goes but I can't find it, that must be the zig?

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
I was going to post a link to one on ebay but there are so many different ones best you have a look yourself, just search zig unit.
It's a distribution panel in many shapes and sizes

cheers...nige

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
That might be the answer, excuse me being a bit stupid, but what's a zig? What does it look like and where would I find it?

I have a power pack I connected up to the leads in the accomodation but the lights still didn't work.

I think there must be some kind of distribution switches which affect where the 12v goes but I can't find it, that must be the zig?

How about a few photos? - I don't know about anyone else but I'm working in the dark here (pun fully intended :winky: 'cos I couldn't find the light switches ... see?)

OP
OP
B

browne4573

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
north east scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
This is pics of where the leisure battery I think goes, plus the consumer unit and the battery in it's location behind the drivers seat.

Attachments

• camp.jpg
    camp.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 62
  • camper 2.jpg
    camper 2.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 58
  • camper 3.jpg
    camper 3.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
B

browne4573

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
north east scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Yeah, that's what I thought. I haven't tried plugging in mains yet, I want to check where all the wiring goes first as some of it looks like it needs checking over. I am totally flumoxed by the 12v side though. I am guessing that there must be a switch somewhere which is a master for all of the lights. There are loads of lights through the accomodation including eyeball spots in the ceiling and a few fluorescents. And a 230v fitting which I think has been added afterwards.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Here's the brochure browne. one thing I do remember was it drove beautifully, smooth, powerful brakes and easy gear change. The first van I drove that didn't drive like a van, more like a car.

Ian

Attachments

• P1040230 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    P1040230 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 74

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
browne4573

Hi there!
Lovely to read all about your latest acquisition!:Smile:
I am sorry we are complete newbies and wouldn't be able to advise you on much, certainly not the electrics, but we would like to wish you all the best with it for future trips!
Regards, Bill & Margaret:thumb:

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
box on the right looks like 240 volt supply inlet and distribution rcd and mains isolation box

Yes, that's what it is - an ELCB (an automatic switch that trips off the 230v should it detect a fault) similar to that you protect yourself with when you use an electric garden implement. It looks like a modern one to me - certainly not commensurate with the age of the van.

Are there any more switches on view (other that those obviously attached to lights) - in particular perhaps a panel of switches on a wall somewhere?

OP
OP
B

browne4573

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
north east scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Nope, that's it as far as I can see. The connector for the leisure battery is directly connected to the vehicle battery it seems. When the engine is off I connected a jump start battery to the terminals and it shows that the polarity is correct and when I inadvertently briefly touched them together there was a spark.

I think that there is a bodge somewhere. I have tried the vehicle fuses but they are all okay. I need to go digging deeper I think to work this one out.

OP
OP
B

browne4573

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
north east scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
aaaah, I have just had a look in the battery bay. Oh my god its spaghetti city! The leisure battery terminals are connected to the main battery (by a fuse at least!).

It seems like there is no split charge facility so that is next on my shopping list. The relay next to the battery I don't think is a split charge relay as it has four terminal posts and no heavy duty posts. I just need to figure out which wires run the lights I think. Can I connect the lights to the output from the split charge circuit near the battery or do they need to connect to the leisure battery direct?

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Nope, that's it as far as I can see. The connector for the leisure battery is directly connected to the vehicle battery it seems. When the engine is off I connected a jump start battery to the terminals and it shows that the polarity is correct and when I inadvertently briefly touched them together there was a spark.

I think that there is a bodge somewhere. I have tried the vehicle fuses but they are all okay. I need to go digging deeper I think to work this one out.

Yes, I think you will!

The little green plastic thingy IS a split charger relay and if it was wired correctly 12v wouldn't be available at the aux terminals without the engine running. And its presence seems to indicate that you haven't a ZIG unit as I think that that would be incorporated in the ZIG unit.

Anything could have happened and been 'improved' over the last twenty odd years ...

OP
OP
B

browne4573

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
north east scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Oh and the carver heater and the water pump work fine off of the main battery, but should I try and connect them to the leisure battery too?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
there will be two relays, one for the fridge and one for the leisure battery. All four terminals are small spade terminals as they only take charging loads, not starting current. So 1st check that the relay is working and not stuck in closed curcuit. disconnect one pair of leads making sure you mark them so you know which way round they go. Then check the leisure battery leads are they still live? if not then replace the relay. if they are then look for another relay. the Haynes motorcaravan manual is a great resource of wiring diagrams etc. the one below is the oldest one on ebay at the moment and would cover yours.
Link Removed
good luck

OP
OP
B

browne4573

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
north east scotland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Ok, so having dug into the wiring a bit I have decided that a fair bit of remedial work is required!

I have bought a new split charge relay and ripped out all of the bodged connections to the battery. Only to find that the battery leads are too short! I will be rewiring the connections and have purchased a new earth strap to connect up the battery.

The output from the split charge relay seems like quite a small terminal, I take it this is okay because it is only a charge voltage that will be going from the relay and not a starting amp type current.

On the plus side I have managed to get the interior lights working, hooray! They weren't wired up to anything as far as I can see, should I put a master switch in just behind the drivers seat so that I can switch them all off from one location?

On another note, the outlet from my grey tank appears to have no valve to shut it off. it looks like a small section of smooth tube, what kind of valve would normally fit on here and does it just clamp onto the outlet with a jubilee clip or similar?

I think I also have a leak from the carver 2 heater. Can't see any obvious pipes loose, do they leak internally?

Sorry for loads of questions, but I appreciate all the help I have had so far, it is such an old motorhome but is very cute so is worth saving. I have a friend who has agreed to spray paint the cab for me, the rear is coachbuilt so aluminium, is there a sure fire way of cleaning it so that it looks as good as possible?

One more thing, I have two missing seat cushions in the back, anyone got any tips on making up new ones myself? I did think of getting foam cut to size and then mounting this on a board and stapling material to the board but think that might be a bit unwieldy.

Off to 'thunder in the glens later, not in the motorhome unfortunately ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back