Marisa

Free Member
Oct 13, 2014
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
We are planning on travelling around Europe from April 2015, in our motorhome for one year with our puppy. I am in the process of trying to arrange pet insurance for her. The companies I have spoken to say that they only cover for a few weeks/ months.

For those of you who have travelled for over a year, what type of pet insurance did you get? Could you recommend a company and type of cover?

I'm confused about wether to get a 'regular pet insurance' and a 'Pet travel insurance' or just a 'Pet travel insurance'!

Many thanks

Aug 31, 2009
Lot-et-Garonne, France
Funster No
MH
Changing
Exp
15 Years
Hi Marisa
We have travelled extensively in Europe with two and sometimes three (our daughter 'lent' us her dog for a year when she went to the States) border terriers and have never taken out insurance. We had horses in a previous life and after a few years of expensive insurance payments took the view that we would 'self insure' ie not insure any of our animals and use the money saved from premiums to pay vets bills as and when they arose.
Hope this is helpful..it is just how we do it.
It sounds like a great trip that you are planning. Have a look at our blog if you are interested in seeing a few dog friendly places.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Sorry, can't help with your question but just wanted to say "Gorgeous Puppy!" Assuming she is the one in your avatar ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Never been abroad for a year but we too have now stopped paying pet insurance and save the money in a high interest account instead.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Same as others have said really---I don't think you'll get UK insurance to cover pets in Europe. To take out French pet insurance for example you'd need a French address, vet certificate to start it off etc.... I think make sure you've set aside at sum, worm and tick treat them regularly, check for ticks daily in season. In Portugal and poss Spain you need sand fly collars for them. Ask on here as I've never had to use them, others have.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Same here no insurance for our dog and will be setting off for Spain in a couple of weeks for 5 months.
No insurance for us either and will rely on EHIC.

Mike

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
10 years after many years tugging
Just for info and to maybe help your figures....... To insure our dog for 90 days was almost £200, three years ago. This year our Jack russell was attacked by a spanish mastiff ( 15stone in weight) Needless to say he was badly injured. Treatment on a Sunday , X-rays, operation to sew up 8 cm gash up his anus, sew up hole in his side, put his dislocated hip back ....twice, intensive care for three days plus two lots of drugs ...... All in charge 270 euros !!! Couldn't believe it..... Was expecting hundreds. The vet in Rochefort was brilliant!
Basically should you be so unlucky as to have a problem it's not too financially crippling. Excess on insurance was 69£ and we've not been repaid yet.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think if you are travelling with a puppy it is the MH that will need treatment - accidents of the damp kind, chewed wiring and furnishings. Good luck!

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Have never insured my dogs for going abroad. or at any other time for that matter

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
I have found the vets more resonably priced in portugal than in Britian, When I forgot to take cash for the tapeworm tablets and my card wasnt compatable, My portuges vet, anna sanchez told me to send it when I got home.

Steveboy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2011
Wherever my wheels stop.
Funster No
MH
Rapido 972M
Exp
Fulltime since 2011
Agree with all the others. Travelled with Tanya my Shnauzer for 3 yrs now. No insurance. Vets in Europe really good, plentiful and sensibly priced.
Now ... faulty fridges .... hah! Thats another story ....

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
My wife says our dog is insured with healthy-pets.co.uk and we have the gold level which covers our Bernese mountain dog for 12 months.
Hope that helps
Coops

Dee 123

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Funster No
We are planning on travelling around Europe from April 2015, in our motorhome for one year with our puppy. I am in the process of trying to arrange pet insurance for her. The companies I have spoken to say that they only cover for a few weeks/ months.

For those of you who have travelled for over a year, what type of pet insurance did you get? Could you recommend a company and type of cover?

I'm confused about wether to get a 'regular pet insurance' and a 'Pet travel insurance' or just a 'Pet travel insurance'!

Many thanks

I am off to Europe for 3 months. I contacted E&L and would only insure my dog for either, 1 month or 1 year. The cost for 1 year was £176.45

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........

Many thanks
When you join the forum you will get some great answers to your question above and any other concerns you may have. We travel back and forth to UK with our pets.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
When you join the forum you will get some great answers to your question above and any other concerns you may have. We travel back and forth to UK with our pets.
John .....the date of the original post is 13 October 2014 ..... she should be soon back ;)

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Hi Marisa say hello to rocky:)

IMG_0028.JPG

Many thanks

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
We paid pet insurance for many years to the same company for the best part of ten years. Two horses and two dogs and over the years it was not cheap .We only made one claim over that period for £200 ,They refused to pay out because we did not inform them the pony was ill ,which subsequently died.The claim was for the medication only as the pony was buried on our own land . I was reliably informed they use lawyers to vet claims to avoid paying out if possible.They will never get another penny out of us and we are happy to pay any fee's ourselves ,up to now we are well in pocket.My advice is save your money and pay when you have too .

Dee 123

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Funster No
We paid pet insurance for many years to the same company for the best part of ten years. Two horses and two dogs and over the years it was not cheap .We only made one claim over that period for £200 ,They refused to pay out because we did not inform them the pony was ill ,which subsequently died.The claim was for the medication only as the pony was buried on our own land . I was reliably informed they use lawyers to vet claims to avoid paying out if possible.They will never get another penny out of us and we are happy to pay any fee's ourselves ,up to now we are well in pocket.My advice is save your money and pay when you have too .

Thanks for your info and decided not to insure my dog with those crooks.. Have started putting money away into a bank account for my dog.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back