First time needing breakdown cover and it seems to be a minefield out there (1 Viewer)

PeeAndDee

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T Line 740
Exp
3 months
Hi

We are relatively new van owners and I am sure that this topic will have been covered before but rwally could do with advice from you experienced travellers.

Our van is 3 years old in April and up to now breakdown cover has been included as part of the manufacturers warranty but we are going away in late March and will be touring Europe until early June so our current cover will expire whilst we are away.

Our can is less than 3.5T and is 8000mm long with the bike rack down to carry the 2 bikes we take with us.

Would be grateful for any advice on reliable companies that cover vans of our size and also likely cost, etc.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Peter

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Quite a few insurance policies include breakdown cover at a cost, we have seperate cover with RAC any size any weight with no restrictions, allegedly.

Martin

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Quite a few insurance policies include breakdown cover at a cost, we have seperate cover with RAC any size any weight with no restrictions, allegedly.

Martin
I thought the RAC, no restrictions as you've got was an add on to The Camping Club or whatever it is called these days

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
First thoughts, your insurance company. Then the main clubs i.e. Caravan & Motorhome Club, Camping and Caravan Club. Then maybe RAC. I don't think Green Flag will cover you abroad. Whatever, it's important to check your size of vehicle is covered.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We are 4T AA doesn't cover, RAC Arrival, via C&CC does, we managed to get a 'new member' discount first 2 years by using my name one year and John's the next, then they got wise to us, don't know if recovery would also cover trailer and bikes though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I’m in the c&cc. And from this week the c& motorhome club,,,

Do I get free breakdown recovery ??

I ask because I’ve got an old motor and joined the RAC this week as well ????

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I’m in the c&cc. And from this week the c& motorhome club,,,

Do I get free breakdown recovery ??

I ask because I’ve got an old motor and joined the RAC this week as well ????

Mate better off going for Green Flag Premier, all the bells and whistles for £140 ish per annum. RAC fellas have "RULES" ??? and tape measures! The only people that understand the "RULES" are the fellas that come out to you!

You get what you pay for!

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
RAC Arrival with the c&cc no weight or size limits, covers any vehicle you are driving or a passenger in. Just renewed, £90

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I thought the RAC, no restrictions as you've got was an add on to The Camping Club or whatever it is called these days
They sold it to us last year at one of the shows, standalone policy.

Not used it of course so who knows.

Martin

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Mate better off going for Green Flag Premier, all the bells and whistles for £140 ish per annum. RAC fellas have "RULES" ??? and tape measures! The only people that understand the "RULES" are the fellas that come out to you!

You get what you pay for!

Yes I agree, but £39 ain’t bad,,, I hope I never use em !! X

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
And you will see from other threads on this subject,some breakdown policies require you to have a spare wheel.......which you may already have,but best to know before you go.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Get ours included with the nationwide bank account
Us too. Admittedly it costs £13.00 a month but also includes World wide travel insurance and mobile phone insurance and European breakdown cover plus other thingumybobs

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I was offered free cover from my bank but the van was too long and too heavy. We use one or other of the clubs, especially for European cover.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I thought almost all MoHo insurance policies includes European breakdown cover.
Why would you need AA or RAC breakdown cover as well?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Only as an extra. It's not included

Ahh -- I always want it so I always accept it as part of the premium - I actually thought they chucked it for free:Eeek:

I'll ask next month when I come to re-new, what the difference is in price.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Ahh -- I always want it so I always accept it as part of the premium - I actually thought they chucked it for free:Eeek:

Some do 'include' but cheaper without from the few I've had quotes from

Sep 15, 2013
East Grinstead
Funster No
MH
A Class
Used the RAC via the C&CC for the motorhomer in France 2 years ago and they were excellent. I would recommend them and we are still with them.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Any one with the RAC using the arrivals scheme needs to speak to the customer services dept.
I was under the impression they would takes us to any site we were booked onto then return us home.
I was told this is not the case, if i was towing a car they would do so with said car but not a moho.
I was also told they would only recover my moho to a garage if I was on the Continent.
If it couldn't be repaired they would offer me the cost of the vehicle but not repatriate it o_O

I won't be renewing with RAC and I've been with them since 1987 :eek:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Us too. Admittedly it costs £13.00 a month but also includes World wide travel insurance and mobile phone insurance and European breakdown cover plus other thingumybobs

Last year I had to pay extra for the wifes hypertension and cholesterol, this year it's included free. But we get in on a standard account, so good value. :)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Last year I had to pay extra for the wifes hypertension and cholesterol, this year it's included free. But we get in on a standard account, so good value. :)
Wow I didnt know you could get breakdown insurance for a wife. Do they give you a loan wife if yours has broken down.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Safeguard include it but for us their premium is £200 more than Comfort, Comfort charge about £60 for breakdown cover. Saga and Senic charge I think about £90.

rolling rolling

Free Member
Apr 15, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2003
Hi There ..

We are currently looking to take out MO insurance where as you can see from previous posts you get offered this as an extra ,but I assume you never took that option. We have RAC anywhere for personal cover and arrival but upon calling the RAC and checking on their website if you pay the extra and take out EU cover with them you are only covered for one repeat ONE call out in the EU per trip . We are going to the EU for several months and may breakdown more than once so that is a big no for us. Trinty Lane are used by some insurance companies as good breakdownservicee not sure if you can call them direct? it is on our list of things to check out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back