First time in Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
We rented 4 different vans before we found what we wanted.
There is no perfect solution, just the one that has the least number of compromises.

I'd suggest you start with one of the major manufacturers with a large range (eg Hymer) and pick the 'perfect' van, and then see if you can better it with another major manufacturer.
Once you have a list of half a dozen, you can start browsing Autotrader etc.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Having had a caravan when the kids were small, first on the list was fixed bed. I know it only takes minutes to make a bed up, but having made up a double and bunk beds every night whilst away in the caravan…….my wife said FIXED BED.

Then it was 6m to fit on the drive, so went for a PVC.

No oven as we’ll never use it. 4 travelling seats in order to carry at least two of the Grandkids.

Solar, Gaslow system, MiFi and extra leisure battery. (y)

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Whatever you buy, from experience, you may find it will be about the third van you buy that will be the right one for you.
Rent twice then your 3rd is the one!!
Worked for the kevenhs.
Our 1st was a PVC - we had to sit down to shower but we loved the freedom so
Next was a C-Class. That was better. Much easier to walk around in. Had a stand up shower, a rear lounge but quite small & fussy with seating also by the cab area. :think: barely 5.5m and cosy for 2.
So 3rd time around, our own motorhome is a little bigger (lol 5.7m) but just rear lounge seating and 4 berth.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
A Dethleffs Alpa has both a large rear lounge and large fixed bed.
Exactly my point,

Welcome,

My advise on layout, ignore ALL advise.

We hired first, spent a week on the road and then worked out what was best for us, that lead us to the right van first time, not all people like or need the same thing.

Easy for me to give advise, but I’ve no idea what works for you.

Just think about a few things...

Sleeping space - French beds are great if one of you is short, do you want to make a bed up each night?
Kitchen - (ovens are a must for some and a waste of space for others, same with microwaves) and worktop space may be important or not.
Fresh water tank size - if your going to use sites all the time it’s not as important as it is for wild camping.
Size - I’m competent with really large vehicles but an American RV ain’t what I’d want wild camping in rural areas, but if your going to motorsport meets for days on end it’s perfect.
Bathroom - is size importan, or if on sites will you not really use it?

My mate hates my van as it just doesn't do what he needs, his is bloody awful as it doesn’t do what I would want.

Theres no right and wrong here, just find the right fit for you.

Dethleffs Alpa is perfectly good van, but I wouldn’t give house room.

Stephens not wrong, we just want different things from our vans.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
My advice, which you should ignore :unsure: is to consider comfort above everything else. We’re on our fourth MH and this one has comfortable beds and comfortable chairs. The chairs are the swivel front seats, so space is saved.

We’ve also downsized from what we originally thought we wanted. It’s so good to be able to use the MH to go out and about and be able to park it.

As you were.

Stephen Franklin

Free Member
Jan 11, 2017
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Alpa
Exp
since 2017
Exactly my point,

Dethleffs Alpa is perfectly good van, but I wouldn’t give house room.

Stephens not wrong, we just want different things from our vans.
The OP wants both an end lounge and fixed bed Boris7, hence my comment. I was not suggesting it would suit you.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Hi Stephen,

As I said “your not wrong” just suggesting people should make their own minds up as we’re all different.

Now I’m at Cadwell Park in Lincolnshire next week end, fancy rocking up and splitting a few, while we pick holes in each other’s rigs 😉

Stephen Franklin

Free Member
Jan 11, 2017
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Alpa
Exp
since 2017
Hi Stephen,

As I said “your not wrong” just suggesting people should make their own minds up as we’re all different.

Now I’m at Cadwell Park in Lincolnshire next week end, fancy rocking up and splitting a few, while we pick holes in each other’s rigs 😉
What’s on at Caldwell Boris? Keep meaning to get up there.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year

not what I’d normally go for, but reckon a slow re start is called for

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Conversely to many posts on this thread we took one month to research and then splashed £60K on a brand new MH.

I pretty much knew what we wanted and we knew generally it would just be for 2 of us

Fixed bed at rear. Can't be arsed with making up/taking down beds. Also we get up at different times. I need to get out early in the morning without waking the other half up so climbing across people in beds is no good. The 2 singles at the rear with the option of an infill for a king-size does the job for us.

With turnaround seats at the front we have a lovely roomy space for us and would take 4 comfortably, 6 at a push.

Separate shower is nice and the toilet/washroom and shower can become one space separated off the bedroom and lounge area.

Big garage is great for our motor scooter and cycles plus all the rest and is secure and weather protected.

4 weeks/1500 miles travelling in the last 2 months and it feels spot on for us . Only improvement possibly needed....before we do a long hot Europe trip I would like to get air con and improve batteries\solar for more off grid camping.

csm_LyseoTD_727G_2020_Z1_Z2_2019-07-31-1210_cd70529443.jpg

Last edited:

DiggerDogs

Free Member
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 707
Exp
RV
The Bailey Adamo has two lounges and twi drop down beds!

DiggerDogs

Free Member
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 707
Exp
RV
The Bailey Adamo has two lounges and twi drop down beds!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
One thing no one has mentioned is a locker accessed from the outside. Somewhere for electric cables and chairs. Our first 6 berth had none we managed and van was ideal for when taking up to 3 grandchildren away. We took bikes overcab was our only fixed bed.
Changed after 4 years got a garage van and changed to a bike we could take with us. Another 4 years and C1 up for renewal again decided to downsize from a 4 tonner and under 6M van nice little garage for lots of bits and pieces. Both the garage vans have double bed above last had a double make up bed at the front this one has a single perfect? No but fits the billl for at least the next 4 years.
We researched and viewed vans for a few years before buying just before we retired also hired before we bought. Didn’t pick up on the outside storage though we did take all over a weighbridge

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
One thing no one has mentioned is a locker accessed from the outside. Somewhere for electric cables and chairs. Our first 6 berth had none we managed and van was ideal for when taking up to 3 grandchildren away. We took bikes overcab was our only fixed bed.
Changed after 4 years got a garage van and changed to a bike we could take with us. Another 4 years and C1 up for renewal again decided to downsize from a 4 tonner and under 6M van nice little garage for lots of bits and pieces. Both the garage vans have double bed above last had a double make up bed at the front this one has a single perfect? No but fits the billl for at least the next 4 years.
We researched and viewed vans for a few years before buying just before we retired also hired before we bought. Didn’t pick up on the outside storage though we did take all over a weighbridge
We just open the back door. (y)

60DE1572-6F9E-4133-AC4A-2F0E0EE65011.jpeg

May 29, 2021
Swansea, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest CV2
Exp
Hi after over 12 months of thinking of buying a motorhome I have took the advice of everyone on here and have hired one for next week.
After visiting the Malvern show last year and visiting a few forecourt's my favorite layouts are quite different:
End Lounge I like the openness and panoramic feel
or
Fixed bed I like the fact I don't have to make the bed every night and I like the separate dinette.

I could not find an End lounge type for hire but have hired a Swift Escape 664 which has a fixed bed.
Hopefully the experience will ascertain whether the motorhome lifestyle is for me and also if the layout suits my needs.

Cheers
Just bought an Autoquest Cv20. Loved the end lounge area which is bright and open and I especially wanted to be able to open the back doors to enjoy any views. Plus the benches are long and wide enough to sleep as singles. No making up beds which I didn't like. Very comfortable, day and night. So far I love it.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Only improvement possibly needed....before we do a long hot Europe trip I would like to get air con and improve batteries\solar for more off grid camping.

View attachment 501556
Remember that an aircon unit of any real use needs electric hookup, any amount of battery power simply won't run it. As you are also looking at off-grid that ain't going to work so suggest instead a Maxxflow unit - okay it doesn't actually cool the air but creates an excellent quiet airflow which we find is just as good as a proper aircon unit. I replaced our aircon with a Maxxflow - gets far more use than the aircon ever did.

Solar panel as big as you've got room for, an extra battery and if your van doesn't have a "smart" alternator maybe a battery-to-battery charger. If you're feeling flush have a look at lithium batteries, expensive but better value and performance in the long term.

Finally try to avoid anything that can't be run on 12v or gas e.g. phone chargers. TV etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back