First time in Germany (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2019
Somerset, near Wincanton
Funster No
MH
Mirage 5000 A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Off to visit our eldest in Berlin on Friday. Harwich - Hook of Holland. First time on the continent in the van so was looking for any obvious issues I should be aware of with continental touring. Thanks

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
No issues, really. The Continent is much more motorhome-friendly than the UK. Roads through Belgium can be in poor condition, but no worse than at home. Driving speeds can be fast on the Autobahn. There are plenty of places to stop (aires/Stellplaetze), just use the Search for Sites App and you'll be fine.
Have a lovely time!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
The Umwelt. Its a green sticker to go in your windscreen. It costs 5 or 6 years and you get it by popping into an MOT garage with your V5 document in hand.
It may not be necessary, however, strongly advise getting one. We never go into major towns so thought we would be OK then found an umwelt area in the middle of nowhere we had to pass through. I got the one the next day.
Also dont look on your map for a place called Ausfarht. Every junction seems to have a road that goes to this place !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
engelside
Aug 29, 2019
Somerset, near Wincanton
Funster No
MH
Mirage 5000 A Class
Exp
Since 2019
The Umwelt. Its a green sticker to go in your windscreen. It costs 5 or 6 years and you get it by popping into an MOT garage with your V5 document in hand.
It may not be necessary, however, strongly advise getting one. We never go into major towns so thought we would be OK then found an umwelt area in the middle of nowhere we had to pass through. I got the one the next day.
Also dont look on your map for a place called Ausfarht. Every junction seems to have a road that goes to this place !
Just looking at the the Umwelt, looks like I have left it to late to order by post. Can I pick one up while I am there?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Belgium can be in poor condition, but no worse than at home.
:rofl: :rofl::rofl:
Book your dentist now for the fillings you'll lose.

Have a read of JockandRita thread.
Info may be out of date but still a useful thread

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Just looking at the the Umwelt, looks like I have left it to late to order by post. Can I pick one up while I am there?
Yep, just pop into any garage that looks as if it does MOTs. Then that would give you a fair to medium assessment you are in the right place.
Have a chat with receptionist and "Umwelt Bitter" whilst holding the V5 and using the internationally recognised facial expression of "I havent got a clue how to speak your language" is the tactic i used and worked.
Stick kettle on while youre waiting and your coffee will still be warm by the time its done.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

We had to laugh at that when there, windy buggers those Germans :LOL:

OP
OP
engelside
Aug 29, 2019
Somerset, near Wincanton
Funster No
MH
Mirage 5000 A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Yep, just pop into any garage that looks as if it does MOTs. Then that would give you a fair to medium assessment you are in the right place.
Have a chat with receptionist and "Umwelt Bitter" whilst holding the V5 and using the internationally recognised facial expression of "I havent got a clue how to speak your language" is the tactic i used and worked.
Stick kettle on while youre waiting and your coffee will still be warm by the time its done.
Thanks for that. Ferry docks in Rotterdam at 5:15 pm Friday. Probably drive for a few hours then stop overnight to get to Berlin later Saturday. Do you know if MOT stations are likely to be open on Saturday mornings?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Thanks for that. Ferry docks in Rotterdam at 5:15 pm Friday. Probably drive for a few hours then stop overnight to get to Berlin later Saturday. Do you know if MOT stations are likely to be open on Saturday mornings?
Probably but there are people with far better knowledge than me
orridge
I also dont use Hook of Holland, and have never driven around rotterdam.

Rotterdam ..... 5.15pm ...... Friday ....... That sounds like something I would avoid greatly

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Yes look for any TUV Station and its about 5 Euros I believe, you will need your 5VC and possible certificate of conformality also to confirm emission class. To be fair you don't really need one as you can avoid most areas with a bit of planning but its one less thing to worry about.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Been to Berlin in the van 3 times are you sure your son stays inside the Umwelt zone.

I can recommend the Stellplatz at Magdeburg

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Probably but there are people with far better knowledge than me
orridge
I also dont use Hook of Holland, and have never driven around rotterdam.

Rotterdam ..... 5.15pm ...... Friday ....... That sounds like something I would avoid greatly
Yes some are open Saturday mornings until 12:00 you can put a destination in the search here and will give you details of locations and opening hours.

Broken Link Removed[/URL]

Rotterdam on a Friday night avoid any direction south on the A16 towards Breda or Antwerp but assume you will be heading directly east so maybe A15 or A20.

Gouda is nice not too far and easy drive into Germany Saturday morning.

OP
OP
engelside
Aug 29, 2019
Somerset, near Wincanton
Funster No
MH
Mirage 5000 A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Been to Berlin in the van 3 times are you sure your son stays inside the Umwelt zone.

I can recommend the Stellplatz at Magdeburg
Just checking now and I think it looks he is just in. We will probably park somewhere a little outside in that case as I am not sure about staying in his flat with respect to insurance and leaving van unoccupied.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
We came off the 5.15 at Hook on a Friday night last June and headed down the A16 (I think) towards Antwerp and stayed on a great free aire at grobbendonk, zero probs with traffic (might have been lucky)đź‘Ť

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back