Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
On our third aire now at Le Crotoy, literally surrounded by very loud French people sat out talking (shouting) to each other.
Makes us realise how completely inept we are at understanding any French at all. Even though Joanne (wife) has been trying to learn basic French for the last couple of months.
When we've been to Spain in the past I've got by with a little pigeon Spanish, mainly because they seem to understand a little English.
We've found it similarly easy to get by in Germany, but this is a different kettle of fish altogether.
There is no apparent willingness to meet us halfway but it's their country, our problem.
On the positive side, it's a pretty place, and I'm finding the driving easier than expected.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We love Le Crotoy,and, we love the restaurants in the town.
We have always found that the French will meet you more than halfway if you use what French you have.They do like to see that ,at least,you are trying.
Good Luck.
Mike

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We love Le Crotoy,and, we love the restaurants in the town.
We have always found that the French will meet you more than halfway if you use what French you have.They do like to see that ,at least,you are trying.
Good Luck.
Mike

That's our experience too! Then be prepared for many..........'eurrrrrr laissez faire mes amis'!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We are planning to stay away untill after christmas so we should be understanding something by then!
Many thanks for the good wishes.
I'll report on our progress if there is any.

That would be great, this site is a gold mine of truly up to date info which can't be pinned down elsewhere in a single place. We will certainly follow your journey. May I suggest one place that you may enjoy, a little touristy perhaps but still a wonderful place to visit and that's Mont St Michel. Stunning! Once again have a great time, France is so many 'different' places and the French live their lives to the full! Enjoy.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We are planning to stay away untill after christmas so we should be understanding something by then!
Many thanks for the good wishes.
I'll report on our progress if there is any.

Now really envious, we are off in 2 weeks for 3 weeks away, you will still have another 8 weeks to go when we get back :D

You seem to be well organised, but have you found the link at top under Quick Links / French Aires, really useful for planning, maps and comments (y)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Now really envious, we are off in 2 weeks for 3 weeks away, you will still have another 8 weeks to go when we get back :D

You seem to be well organised, have you found the link at top under Quick Links / French Aires, really useful for planning, maps and comments (y)

Another bu##er we've got to be envious over!:D

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We also find French are very receptive to us trying their language.

We British often feel embarrassed at even trying, fearing we will laughed at.

The best advice we were given by a French friend, (we spend 6 months of the year in an area of France where few people can speak English), was "try"!

We soon realised that however little French we had it was more than their English. That removed the fear factor and has made life much easier.

Give it a go.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I've just noticed your Avatar housy, South Wales and Burgundy................lucky dog!:D

Sixbows

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Overcab bed
Exp
Join in have a couple of glasses of wine and then you won't care(y)

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi

We have had a few trips to France in the van and thought we should at least have a go at speaking the language.

I recommend 'Fast French in a day', a cd you can get from Amazon Like a lot of people we couldn't be @rsed to spend ages reading books and learning lists of words. Fast French aims to teach you just 50 words and some useeful phrases. Doesn't sound like much but we can ask for things in shops, directions etc.

Paul

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
When the Europeans learn English at school the end result is that they can speak English.
When the English learn French at school the end result is "fermez la porte" and "vous etes un cochon"
Bit pathetic really, or is it just me?

Sixbows

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Overcab bed
Exp
Where in Burgundy are you? We live in the Yonne in Avallon

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Hi Gibbon, have you got the pooch with you ? We've just got back from 3 weeks tootling round France, Luxembourg and Germany and had some really strange reactions to our whippets. Most folk were happy enough to see our Lievres, Wind Hunden or Vippets, depending where we were, but we got some quite shocking and disdainfull looks too, our only conclusion was that people thought they were too thin and we were maybe neglecting them ? Won't stop us taking them away with us again especially as the Tunnel was such a doddle with pets and the dogs seemed to enjoy themselves, especially hoovering up dropped bratwursts at the Heidelberg beer festival !

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Where in Burgundy are you? We live in the Yonne in Avallon
Saone et Loire, near Chalon-sur-Saone.

We have visited your area a few times. Very different to ours. Beautiful rural area you live in. Our area is also pretty but we are surrounded by vineyards . Still, we do our best to support the local producers.

o_O

Sixbows

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Overcab bed
Exp
I know the area around Chalon as when we came over 10 years ago we worked for an agent based in St Leger sur Dheune. It's a nice area, we also try to support the local vineyards, I'm just polishing off a nice bottle of Cremant:rolleyes:

OP
OP
gibbon

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Gibbon, have you got the pooch with you ? We've just got back from 3 weeks tootling round France, Luxembourg and Germany and had some really strange reactions to our whippets. Most folk were happy enough to see our Lievres, Wind Hunden or Vippets, depending where we were, but we got some quite shocking and disdainfull looks too, our only conclusion was that people thought they were too thin and we were maybe neglecting them ? Won't stop us taking them away with us again especially as the Tunnel was such a doddle with pets and the dogs seemed to enjoy themselves, especially hoovering up dropped bratwursts at the Heidelberg beer festival !

So far the only reaction we've had to Dave's whippet ness is the the odd smile, usually young ladies sat in the passenger seats of posh cars.
The young French ladies obviously appreciate a fashionably thin whippet.
I must add that none of them have smiled at me, what could they not like about a late middle aged Brit with a beer belly & zero language skills?
For general info we're at Ault Onival in the pouring rain today, off a short distance to Le Tréport tomorrow .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back