Aug 14, 2016
Rainford
Funster No
MH
Renter
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all

We have just joined your forum and are very much enjoying reading all the threads and picking up hints and tips. We unfortunately cannot afford our own motorhome....(yet!).... so we have hired one a couple of times. We are taking ourselves to western France this year in September.

I have read a few forums about needing a converter for the electric hookup, the hire vehicle will just come with the standard uk power cable. Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere, but I am still not clear on whether I need to buy anything or not. Can anyone help?

Also, is there anything else we need to take/consider, we have got all the legislative kit (headlamp converters, hi-viz etc)?

Many thanks for your help.

Daniel

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Hiya and have a great time! We have been to France in aires mostly but campsites too- and have not needed a converter plug since we bought the thing 6 years ago. All the places we have been have the normal blue 3 pin thing; we had bought a converter that has the 2 pin french plug ]like what you plug into an electrical socket in a house/hotel En France] but it has not been used. We also bought a thing that tells you if the power polarity is reversed [no idea why as when it was we didn't know what to do and just plugged in as normal and everything was fine]

Wine opener is all I would recommend- and of course a cheese knife- enjoy xxx K

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome to fun, most French sites seem to be the same as ours now but you will still get some with the 2 pins. I would ask the hire company if they have one if not you can buy one for a few pounds at any caravan accessory shop. You will also find most camps it's will have a few spare.
Have you had a look at the Aires book or thought about buying the Acis book and card would be worth it for you in September

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi all

We have just joined your forum and are very much enjoying reading all the threads and picking up hints and tips. We unfortunately cannot afford our own motorhome....(yet!).... so we have hired one a couple of times. We are taking ourselves to western France this year in September.

I have read a few forums about needing a converter for the electric hookup, the hire vehicle will just come with the standard uk power cable. Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere, but I am still not clear on whether I need to buy anything or not. Can anyone help?

Also, is there anything else we need to take/consider, we have got all the legislative kit (headlamp converters, hi-viz etc)?

Many thanks for your help.

Daniel
Given what it costs something like this might be useful. I'm not sure where folk go who say all the EHU are the round three pin. We've found lots where you need a two pin.

You might find it useful to have a few adaptors for water. A Hozelok male to male adaptor isn't needed very often but when it is - you need one as you won't get any water out of the tap without it! But you can probably get anything you need at a Bricolage store, which is the French way of spelling B&Q. :)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Broken Link RemovedHi Daniel,
The black cable & connection is what you need. the piece in the middle is a polarity checker. these you can get from most caravan accessory outlets.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
welcome animated smiley.gif

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Don't worry, just bare back the wires, stick them in the socket (matches help).......................... not really............ most sites use the blue sockets(y)........... and trip out

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
We don't use the hose adapters anymore just a large watering can,the site we are on at the moment in St Jean De monts has the 2 pin sockets so good advice to have that adapter handy ,a paraplui will be handy at the moment ☺ enjoy ☺

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Never used an electricity polarity checker thingy in my life...

Mind you, I don't have a plastic, campsite loitering, weekend motorhome packed with unnecessary electronic nonsense. ;)

(I do have a watering can. Fetching my own water is good for the soul.)

JJ :cool:

Jun 9, 2016
L'Isle Jourdain, 86150 France
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Just bought an Eriba FT 580
Given what it costs something like this might be useful. I'm not sure where folk go who say all the EHU are the round three pin. We've found lots where you need a two pin.

Doesn't look very waterproof :whistle:.

The standard issue in Switzerland and Germany - i.e. comes with your EHU cable when you buy a van - is like this:

http://www.ebay.ch/itm/2-x-ADAPTER-...034177?hash=item53e76e0ac1:g:l~IAAOSwDN1UR8js

That particular set is, I think, made in Romania so it's cheap as chips. I have it and it's good quality. Had to use it on most tiny municipal sites in France and Germany and the odd France Passion where they offer electrickery.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back