First time in France with a Motorhome (1 Viewer)

plumbomb

Free Member
Oct 18, 2012
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2013
Just booked Eurotunnel for the first time for MH,:roflmto: were off for three weeks with three dogs (£48 each way for them:Sad:) We have booked a very late train arrive about 00.30 im planing on driving for a short while to get out of town,were heading west nothing booked but anyone tell me of a Aire about 1hr or so outside of town.Thanks

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Le Crotoy,

large aire, easy to find, about an hour west of the tunnel, not far from the motorway. if you cant find a space which is unlikely, there is another aire also at Le Crotoy on the other side of town

Broken Link Removed

or Boulogne sur mer is even closer, little uneven but easy to find and find a space

Broken Link Removed

Steve

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
At nearly 1am in the morning I would just go Cite Europe.. Just a few mins away..

You say first time in France, at night their motorways are not like ours.. Most have no lights and no cats eyes so makes driving that little bit harder....

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Go to http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm
and do a search in department 62 Pas de Calais if you choose an Aire just arrive quietly and dont upset the locals.:roflmto:

I see you've learnt a lot about the froggies since we met :ROFLMAO:.....any improvement with French language?

I bet Sue is doing better than you Steve:roflmto:

Affectueusement

Frankie:winky:

PS: Sorry don't know anything about aires in this area!

Last edited:

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi

That late I would stay in Calais ... We have done on many occasions and found it to be quite safe . The one in the harbour entrance might be full but the other one by the marina will have room .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Tunnel stopover

At nearly 1am in the morning I would just go Cite Europe.. Just a few mins away..

You say first time in France, at night their motorways are not like ours.. Most have no lights and no cats eyes so makes driving that little bit harder....

This is the best advice you'll get,it's the first right turn when you come off the tunnel,well signposted in the Dark,follow it around looking out for Motorhomes parked to your left,there are always MH parked.

Be Safe

Apr 10, 2014
glasgow
Funster No
MH
iveco conversion
Exp
firsttime in france

No advice re near there but depends how far West. We know south Brittany re places to visit v well. Food, food, canals, beaches, old towns, wine ::bigsmile:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We came back a few weeks ago, we had a great time. France is what motorhomes are made for, you will find it all soooo much easier in France.

Always somewhere to stay that you don't have to book for, service stations have fresh water and grey dump points. Aires for free in the middle of towns or villages, empty roads, a warm welcome when you say in a restaurant you are in "le camping car". Just very laid back and accepting of vans, they want you there.

I could go on but honestly if you don't enjoy motor homing in France come home and sell the van:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2014
glasgow
Funster No
MH
iveco conversion
Exp
france

Quite agree. Not van in france yet but parents had house in brittany for 20 years, so will go back with van. Great roads, great food, great culture. They see themselves as Gallic, if from Scotland, Wales, Irish or Cornish great.. English also welcome! Sorry I am English married to a Scot. Interesting thing is that 20 years ago no English was spoken, different now!:winky:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I'm not sure what the attraction is of driving your MH for the first time in France late at night on (presumably) beam deflected headlights.

I'd go with the others and say head straight for the Cite Europe MH parking area on Boulevard du Kent (Google Maps 50.932854,1.811185), then give yourselves a proper chance to get used to the driving the following day.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
At that time of night, roads are likely to be pretty empty, so driving will be easy. Le Crotoy, Fort Mahon and Quend are only an hour or so away but Wissant is closer and there are 3 more aires overlooking the Channel nearby that are really worth a visit
Allan

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Le Touquet is also an option . That is often the first or the last stop when we travel that way . You do need to get a ticket form a machine since they do checks early in the morning .We did once stop in the Cite De Europe for some shopping but saw many very dodgy looking illegals literally hiding in the bushes possibly hoping to somehow get to the UK in or under coaches parked there . This might now be all gone and be OK but we got out of there pretty fast after our shopping .

Liston

Free Member
Oct 1, 2013
Bolton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Im a newbie
I have just returned from France ,there are two aires within a few miles at Calais, 1 which I think would be full at that time and 1 on the marina which is a massive car park (you should be able to google them )
you will never be short of camp sights in france ,you come across so many when travelling , but you would do well to arm yourself with as much information as possible prior to going i.e books by vavarious books , ALL THE AIRES OF FRANCE and FRENCH PASSION ( which I only heard about whilst I was there ,they are places such as vineyards ,farms etc ,where you can stop free of charge but in return it would be polite to buy some produce, then again who doesnt eat or drink in france??
All the best on your trip I'm shure ou will enjoy the experiance

OP
OP
plumbomb

plumbomb

Free Member
Oct 18, 2012
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2013
I'd just like to say thanks to all who have responded to my question. I can't wait to go,:Smile:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, I use this aire , next to campsite , secure

Link Removed
ARQUES,
Link Removed

Aires: ARQUES -

Aire: ARQUES

ADDRESS:MUNICIPAL CAMPING BEAUSEJOUR, RUE MICHELET
TEL: 03 21 88 53 66 CAMPING FAX:
EMAIL: mairie@ville-arques.fr
TYPE OF AIRE: MUNICIPAL

FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/BLACK DRAIN/ ELECTRIC

PRICES/ RATES: JETONS & FEES PAYABLE AT CAMPSITE RECEPTION
PARKING: 2€/ NIGHT SERVICES: 2€ WATER OR ELECTRIC
OPENING TIMES: 01/04 -- 30/10
GPS COORDS: N50.74538 E02.30448
DIRECTIONS: From CALAIS take N43 / N42 EAST to the roundabout EAST of ARQUES & take last exit onto D211 WEST. Turn RIGHT after 2km into RUE J.VERNE / F.MITTERAND (same road). Turn LEFT before Railway Bridge into RUE MICHELET & CAMPSITE
SITE DESCRIPTION: This is a waterside location, next to the large Beausejour lake & close to the 3* Municipal Campsite in a large tarmac parking area. Security is good, the car park being locked at night 2100-0700, and there is shade from trees. The Euro-Relais borne with a small raised drainage grid (hosepipe required) is next to the campsite.
REVIEW
2006 A good secure Aire behind the Mun. Campsite & next to a nice lake. The parking is level & quiet, with nice walks around the lakes & lots of birds + wildlife to see. We noticed a slight noise at night from a distant factory.
Link Removed
ARQUES
Link Removed

not used these one's

Aire: ESCALLES

ADDRESS:LES ERABLES, 17 RUE DU CHATEAU D'EAU
TEL: 03 21 85 25 36 FAX:
EMAIL: boutroy.les-erables@wanadoo.fr
TYPE OF AIRE: PRIVATE

FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/BLACK DRAIN/ ELECTRIC/ TOILETS

PRICES/ RATES:
PARKING: 8€ /NIGHT (2 PERS) SERVICES: 3€ WATER & DRAINAGE 3€ ELECTRIC
OPENING TIMES: 01/04 -- 01/11 08.00am -- 22.00pm
GPS COORDS: N50.91169 E01.72046
DIRECTIONS: From CALAIS take D940 SOUTH to ESCALLES. In village turn LEFT onto D243 (Route de Peuplingues) & then turn RIGHT after 1km into RUE DU CHATEAU D'EAU & straight on to AIRE.
SITE DESCRIPTION: This aire is more of a campsite than an aire; located in a very rural location, surrounded by farmland just west of the small village of Escalles & about 2km from the coast. The very large terraced pitches (upto 300m2) are on grass accessed by gravel tracks, all having nice views of the channel & the English coast, little shade but lighting at night. There is a small toilet/ shower block & an artisanal service point with a large platform drain. There are also laundry/ drying facilities available.
REVIEW:
CAMPING CAR MAGAZINE RECOMMENDED 02/07: "The owners offer a friendly welcome at this Aire Naturelle in Escalles. Parking is on grass in a quiet & green environment."
2007 This is more of a campsite for motorhomes than an aire. A very well run & maintained hilltop site, secure & tranquil with excellent views over the channel & quite close to Cap Blanc Nez. A very good stopover if you are using the terminal at Calais.
2011 "Just back from another brilliant 2 weeks in France. This time we visited Versailles and Chenoncaux with a short stop at friends in Bellac. We went via the Chunnel thanks to Mr. Tesco and his vouchers and wanted a convienient site near Calais on the way back. Once again this site came up trumps with the aire/motorhome site that is Les Erables at Escalles. Compared to the site we had near Rouen the previous night Les Erables facilities were excellent with lots of hot water in the showers and a wonderful view of the channel. This was our third trip to France in the last 12 months and previously we had stopped on sites near Folkstone, not anymore, Les Erables is our preferred option from now on. " Siberdragon
Link Removed
ESCALLES

Aire: TARDINGHEN

ADDRESS:LA FERME D'HORLOGE, 1615 ROUTE D'AUSQUES
TEL: 03 21 83 30 34 MOB: 06 80 1425 40
EMAIL: dominique.hamy@sitedes2caps.fr

FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/ BLACK DRAIN / RUBBISH

PRICES/ RATES:
PARKING: 5€ /NIGHT SERVICES: INCL OR 3€ SEPARATE
OPENING TIMES: ALL YEAR
GPS COORDS: N50.85658 E01.65136 (FLEUR) N50.89361 E01.68972 (FOND)
N50.86250 E01.64889 (FERME DE L'HORLOGE)
DIRECTIONS: FARM: Exit A16 @ Jcn 36 (Wissant) on D238. Turn LEFT after 4km (D249) towards TARDINGHEN & then RIGHT at crossroads for farm (or 100m straight on for parking) -- Farm is 400m on RIGHT & the PARKING is within 500m.
SITE DESCRIPTION: This Aire (Les Fleur des Champs) is privately owned by a local farm and is found close to Cap Gris Nez in an open grassy area with superb panoramic views. Pitches are on grass off a gravel track -- a bit exposed & without shade but they have glorious views to compensate. A good service point next to the barn is found at the 'Ferme de L'Horloge' in a separate nearby location (a short walk away). A 2nd parking area (Le Fond de Sombre) is also available (owned by the same farm).
REVIEW
2007 Super position for an Aire -- very quiet and great 360-degree views. Owner is very helpful & friendly & gave us some leaflets about the area. Popular area for walking & cycling -- quite flat.
2007 A lovely spot; this private Aire is basically a field with a gravel access track in quite a remote location, excellent panoramic views over the English Channel & countryside. Although it is a reasonable sized field (20-30 spaces) -- there are not that many level places on it. Very quiet -- plenty of birdsong, the farmer comes in the evening or early morning to collect fees. There is a Restaurant/ Brasserie in Tardinghen & shops in Wissant (both a short dive away). Farm is quite close for services -- included in price & farmer is very helpful. Could be a bit lonely here in winter -- there were only 3 campervans here in July when we stayed.
2011 "A private aire owned by the "Ferme de l'Horloge", ideal for nature lovers, with panoramic sea views & a service point located on the farm."

Link Removed
TARDINGHEN

Link Removed
LUMBRES, Scroll down for more images & other aire
Link Removed

Aires: LUMBRES -

Aire: LUMBRES

ADDRESS:LECLERC SUPERMARKET, RUE ANATOLE FRANCE
TEL: 03 21 12 29 29 FAX:
EMAIL:

FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/ BLACK DRAIN

PRICES/ RATES:
PARKING: FREE SERVICES: FREE
OPENING TIMES: ALL YEAR
GPS COORDS: N50.70250 E02.11944
DIRECTIONS: Exit N42 onto D342 to LUMBRES. In town turn SOUTH onto D192 (ELNES) & follow 'LECLERC' signs. The store is SOUTH of the river in the town.
SITE DESCRIPTION: Another Aire in a supermarket -- this one is in the very large car park of the Leclerc supermarket; plenty of spaces & even some shade from trees along the edges. The parking backs onto woodland / fields and is 400m to other shops. A Euro-Relais service point with platform drain.
REVIEW
2007 I thought it was quite quiet here (for a Leclerc), apart from the Petrol Station traffic. The store is open 0900 to 1930 Mon-Sat. Not an unpleasant spot. Service point is next to petrol station kiosk -- not a brilliant location for access!
Link Removed
LUMBRES

:sin: Terry:sin: Have a good trip :fatbuddha:

Chasson

Free Member
Jun 12, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C. Class
Exp
Eurotunnel dog charge

just seen your post about paying £48 each way for each dog. We have been going via Eurotunnel (booking by their site ) and have paid £16 each way for our dog this year. Going out during the morning and the same coming home travelling June and coming home in July. It was only £15 the last few years. Have never travelled at night so I cant help you there, you will have a great time in France though. Easy motorhoming:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
just seen your post about paying £48 each way for each dog. We have been going via Eurotunnel (booking by their site ) and have paid £16 each way for our dog this year. Going out during the morning and the same coming home travelling June and coming home in July. It was only £15 the last few years. Have never travelled at night so I cant help you there, you will have a great time in France though. Easy motorhoming:thumb:

I think it was £48 for three dogs. We are currently in France with our dog and it was £16 each way, recently increased from £15

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
I see you've learnt a lot about the froggies since we met :ROFLMAO:.....any improvement with French language?

I bet Sue is doing better than you Steve:roflmto:

Affectueusement

Frankie:winky:

PS: Sorry don't know anything about aires in this area!

Frankie,
Sorry for not replying before, have only just seen your post.
French is coming along but as you say Sue much better than me.

Hope you are well.

Love + kisses
Steve + Sue

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back