Free Member
Mar 19, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
Im anewbie
Can anyone tell me do I need a gb sticker reflective vest and front headlight reflectors fitted to go to France?

OP
OP
Storm123

Storm123

Free Member
Mar 19, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
Im anewbie
Anything else you know of . And thank u

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
A reflective vest for everyone travelling I think.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Don't forget your V5 or at least a copy of it. You will need it in case of breakdown. For some reason they won't do repairs without seeing your V5. Don't ask me why.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I have none of the above... but then again I am a bit of a rebel :D2

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Oh and the warning triangle thingy.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We carry all our paperwork relating to the MH plus a copy and leave a copy at home, we also copy our passports and EHIC cards.
Hi-vis for all travelling and you have to have them on when you exit the vehicle if you break down.
First aid kit & spare bulbs.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
A high vis vest for everyone traveling in the vehicle and accessible from inside and not in an outside locker or garage.

Joe

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
You will need headlight deflectors too. I have headlight protectors with deflector in place and works for the EU and does not need to be replaced or removed for MOT.
However, stick ons are ok for single journey.
On Sat nav, turn speed camera detector off as they are illegal.
A non commission credit card such as Halifax Clarity or pre loaded.
Maps, books for campsite, all the Aires (if wanting to use) camperstop (on line), change in Euros and remember to drive on correct side.
Other things already mentioned.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Last time we went had the deflectors but not fitted then it was light all the time! so have them for next time. Dont get the reflective vests at a car spares place a lot cheaper at screwfix or ikea

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
A reflective vest for everyone in the vehicle, warning triangle-we have 2- all your paperwork-insurance, log, etc. spare light bulbs you can buy a kit, and, allegedly, spare glasses if the driver wears them!

You will need to make sure you have enough room to bring wine back with you!
Most of all have fun!

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Anything else you know of . And thank u

My mobile phone number if you can't manage with the linguo! I might (just might ) be quite helpfull

Edit : Send me a PM if needed! Avec moi , pas de problème !

Last edited:

River gypsys

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
Ely
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
france is great dont forget your copy of all the aires your guide to megga cheep and mostly free stop overs

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
A copy is not acceptable must be original.

The garage replacing my clutch 3 years ago accepted the V5 by email

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Gendarmes won't.

They probably won't accept it ... but indeed it really depends on who is facing you. Some would say oh ok : Go ! but next time have the real one with you! And some others will go round your van and find more stuff to fine! What you don't know that very second is that the gendarme who is fining just happened to have been cheated by his missus with some GB male! Karma.... you never know really! Seriously , have a copy with you and hide the original and test the gendarmes ! I would !

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I don't think you'll need a GB sticker; The very second the gendarme will go round the passenger seat , and see there's no stirring wheel , he'll get scared his socks off and will run away!:p
You don't NEED a sticker but you'd have to have the GB logo on your number plate.
GB sticker: You need to put a GB sticker on your car; if not you will get an on-the-spot fine. If you have a Euro-symbol on your number plate (BS AU 145d standard) then you don’t need a GB sticker when driving in Europe. But if you go outside the EU, and that includes Switzerland, you need a GB sticker as well.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
@EX51SSS They don't stop us for not having a F !
I don't have a F on my plate ; and the only sticker I have is...... GB! LOL !
Nerver ever had a prob, and the gendarmes come to my place all the time (even more lately when I had my "guests"). Some don't know me. I stop , chat with them.... they never said a word about my GB !
I bet I would have a prob going to the UK with a french plate and a GB sticker :LOL:
Is this a French rule? Did you find it on a French site, or on some English site?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
@EX51SSS They don't stop us for not having a F !
I don't have a F on my plate ; and the only sticker I have is...... GB! LOL !
Nerver ever had a prob, and the gendarmes come to my place all the time (even more lately when I had my "guests"). Some don't know me. I stop , chat with them.... they never said a word about my GB !
I bet I would have a prob going to the UK with a french plate and a GB sticker :LOL:
Is this a French rule? Did you find it on a French site, or on some English site?
If you're in a country, eg France and you're residents or registered, then you don't need a sticker. The sticker or logo is applicable to travelling in foreign countries.
That quote was from MSE forum. Money Saving Expert.
I daresay if you Google, GB plates in France/Europe etc, you'll find the law/regulation referring to the use of home country recognition on foreign vehicles.
Personally, I'm not bothered whether the Police or Gendarmes may or may not give on the spot fines but if someone states a FACT that one is NOT needed when it, by law is, is not responsible to other forum users. Far better to comply with the law than risk being stopped AND the possibility of them finding something else wrong with the vehicle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back