scbunurse

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Test driving tomorrow !!!
Exp
So - tomorrow we go for a test drive of the van we hope to buy - a Bailey Autograph. H has driven vans in the recent past and drove an RV in the States and so is quite confident but I haven't driven anything larger than a Peugeot 807. I'm a confident driver but have to admit to being a little nervous and I'm sure the van has doubled in size in my head! Can any of you remember your first time and do you have any advice, things I should watch out for - apart from taking out unsuspecting cyclists with the rear overhang!

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Those mahoosive mirrors were my problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
Don't drive it like a car, give more time for stopping, turning and use your mirrors. It isn't nearly as frightening as you think. Have fun!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
scbunurse

scbunurse

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Exp
I'm thinking a course might be a good idea. I've towed a trailer tent for years and a stock trailer but reversing a motorhome seems more nerve racking somehow!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
scbunurse

scbunurse

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Exp
I watched one of the wing mirrors get ripped off in '5 go motorhoming'......

Upvote 0
Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
I'm thinking a course might be a good idea. I've towed a trailer tent for years and a stock trailer but reversing a motorhome seems more nerve racking somehow!
Moho show in February,they do free driving course in the car park ,think you have to book ,at the nec.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Upvote 0

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Slower acceleration and really longer braking times.

Know your height and width in meters and feet and inches as some road signs stiill in feet and inches, with no metric.

Get your partner out of the van to guide you when reversing until you can be confident of the camera ( assuming there is one)

Enjoy.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
scbunurse

scbunurse

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Exp
We are in Inverness - there is a show in Glasgow in Feb - maybe they do it there as well. I was thinking of going anyway - not that I'll have any money left lol! More night duty shifts needed!

Upvote 0
Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
We are in Inverness - there is a show in Glasgow in Feb - maybe they do it there as well. I was thinking of going anyway - not that I'll have any money left lol! More night duty shifts needed!
Oops didn’t notice you was so far away .

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Look in the mirrors frequently , and see where you are relative to kerb and white line , this will enable your brain to build a spatial awareness model so you will know width etc subconsciously even
when looking out the front :)

Upvote 0

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We met a motorhomer travelling alone who had a toaster on the dash. When questioned he said it was his reference point to line up in the correct position on the road. The edge of the toaster put him in the right place!!! Maybe a loose object like that isn't a good idea but a piece of tape stuck on the dash could help you to judge the width at first.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
In the World of 3500Kgs 'vans, if you can judge the width of a Bailey, you can drive anything. They are the widest of all British motorhomes.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I second the rear overhang point made by @RogerThat . If you have a big overhang behind the rear wheels a sharp turn causes it to swing out and you also need to watch out for it grounding on steep slopes, such as ramps.

Upvote 0

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
As said it' the height you need to remember. Most routes take bin wagons, so if they can get through, so should you. When parking up at a site, remember to consider your overhang and height. After a short while you'l wonder why you worried. As long as you use care and drive for yourself and others you will really find it' quite fun.

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
We met a motorhomer travelling alone who had a toaster on the dash. When questioned he said it was his reference point to line up in the correct position on the road. The edge of the toaster put him in the right place!!! Maybe a loose object like that isn't a good idea but a piece of tape stuck on the dash could help you to judge the width at first.
As used in the Triumph Herald I learnt to drive in, positioned in the back window to help when reversing around a corner (y)

Upvote 0
Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
We all started out not as confident as we are now , so time and experience will give you the confidence.
For what it's worth, give yourself time, plenty of space when parking, be mindful of your rear end when turning and pulling out. (Especially when filling up).
I used to hate reversing my 8 Mtr van into its storage space when I first got it and would start worrying about reversing it before we even returned to storage, but now I reverse without worry.
Good luck and happy travels,

Upvote 0
OP
OP
scbunurse

scbunurse

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Exp
Test drive cancelled due to weather conditions in Perth(n)

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Slower acceleration and really longer braking times.

Know your height and width in meters and feet and inches as some road signs stiill in feet and inches, with no metric.

Get your partner out of the van to guide you when reversing until you can be confident of the camera ( assuming there is one)

Enjoy.

When looking at the road ahead look at in box section, especially on country lanes where large trucks do not go so the overhead branches and the 'hard bits' of hedges protrude into the box.

I second the warning about the overhang swinging but do not only look down - also up, for the possibility that the top corner could clip a roof or a tree.

Geoff

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Take it easy, you have "right of size" and a manic grin helps to freak out other road users :)

Seriously though once you get used to the width and make sure you know the turning circle you will prefer driving it to driving a car - well I do. You are higher up so have a much better view of the road. Please take care when going round corners as you do need to swing wide (like when you have a trailer), don't turn too sharply or too soon.

I have a "vital information" card on the back of the driver's sun visor with width, height and length, weight, tyre pressures, insurance and breakdown cover details - that way you don't have to panic about statistics when you get to a road restriction :)

Oh and as others have said low branches are a menace - when reversing we find wlakie-talkies are really useful but make sure that the person directing you looks up as well as every other direction. People seem to forget about overhead hazards.

Sorry your course was cancelled but there will be another day. Just started snowing again here.

Upvote 0

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
When turning left (in UK) at a "T" junction on estate size roads, don't rush. Use the whole junction, ie move further out into the junction than you would in the car before starting your turn. Use the offside lane as you turn to avoid riding up the kerb with your nearside rear wheel. Be courteous, but do not panic about making traffic wait while you make your turn. Take your time, use your mirrors more while you are manoeuvring and you will quickly learn where the edges and ends of the motorhome are.

When exiting a round-about use your nearside mirror to check because often another driver or rider will attempt to get off the round-about before you by cutting up the inside. Also, at the same time, look for the idiots that go round a RAB in the outer lane until they find their exit.

You will get all this from a full one day course (and lots more, including practice). The "show" freebies are tasters. Useful, and if available you should do one, but no substitute for a full day group course.

Good luck and best wishes - enjoy

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back