First time buyer (1 Viewer)

Malone

Free Member
Oct 2, 2020
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Carr
We are looking to buy our first MH shortly. We plan on using it from early next year, and shall be living in it for the foreseeable, likely 9-12 months. We are 2 adults, and 2 dogs. We shall be spending as much time in Europe and living cheaply where possible, but we understand with a changing and unstable year likely, we’ll also be in the UK.

Our requirements are a fixed bed, ideally transverse, and living space, and a garage. Of course we are aware that we may have to compromise on certain aspects, but ideally this is what we would like. The research and advice I have been given is that ‘german’ build quality and the Ducato 2.3 engine is a good starter point. We have viewed quite a few MHs, all from dealers. We like the rear transverse bed, so far that seems the most suitable layout. We are happy to go for 7.5m in length if required, however my license is only standard therefore a twin axle is out of the question. Lastly, we will be selling this on, so although our budget is quite vast, potentially up to £45k, we need to think, without hindsight unfortunately, what may also be an ‘easier’ MH to sell.We would be comfortable buying private or new through a dealer, we aren’t to precious on that score.

I am not expecting loads of advice, however any comments will be taken into consideration. Thanks for reading this.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
are you young enough to be climbing over each other with a transverse bed?full time it could get tiresome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
By standard licence do you mean up to 3500kg, in which case you will be tight on payload if you want to take a lot of stuff with you,

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from a very wet Ciren.....! 🌧
Have you ‘lived’ in a motorhome before......holidays, etc., as the experience can be very different from viewing at a dealer’s lot......? If not, it may pay to hire a ‘van with your choice of layout just to see how practical it is.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Transverse beds? see previous posts about * getting up in the night!* Twin beds every time!

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
We have a transverse bed and love it. Ours is a 6m coachbuilt Rapido which has excellent build quality, so don’t discount non-Deutche makes. With a 3500kg maximum weight we have masses of payload. Fully laden there is still over 300kg spare. Ducatos, Boxers, Relays...all the same van badged differently.

All I’d say is “good luck” finding a van now. Many dealers have little or no stock and workshops are booked up months in advance.

Welcome to the fun, anyway!

OP
OP
M

Malone

Free Member
Oct 2, 2020
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Carr
By standard licence do you mean up to 3500kg, in which case you will be tight on payload if you want to take a lot of stuff with you,
We aren’t taking to much, most of our belongings will be in lock up so weight payload will not be an issue but thanks for the comment.

OP
OP
M

Malone

Free Member
Oct 2, 2020
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Carr
Welcome from a very wet Ciren.....! 🌧
Have you ‘lived’ in a motorhome before......holidays, etc., as the experience can be very different from viewing at a dealer’s lot......? If not, it may pay to hire a ‘van with your choice of layout just to see how practical it is.
I do understand your view point, however I’m confident we have the layout in mind that suits us. It’s more practicality that leads us down this route.

OP
OP
M

Malone

Free Member
Oct 2, 2020
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Carr
are you young enough to be climbing over each other with a transverse bed?full time it could get tiresome.
Yeah, we’re cool with that layout. I’m not suggest that’s the only layout but it would work for us fine. Your comment has made me think though. Perhaps when selling it on, potential buyers may prefer the beds running front to back?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yeah, we’re cool with that layout. I’m not suggest that’s the only layout but it would work for us fine. Your comment has made me think though. Perhaps when selling it on, potential buyers may prefer the beds running front to back?
I wouldn't worry personally, you will always find somebody who wants an extra 0.5 metre in the lounge or bathroom and you only need one buyer when you are selling.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back