Jul 12, 2017
Bawtry
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello! First post, please go easy ;)

Having holidayed in a touring caravan for 25 years plus and spending 3 weeks touring around France and Northern Spain in a hired motorhome we have now decided to take the plunge and buy our own motorhome. Experience of caravanning has taught us that the layout is key and we have decided to look for an Auto Trail Cheyenne or Mohican (or similar) with the large rear washroom as this is exactly the same as our caravan. We have been to a number of dealers to look at what is out there but unless you are in the market to buy a new motorhome or spend at least £35k on a second hand one the sales people just don't seem interested. I'm not being funny but we don't want to spend any more than £18k on our first motorhome but it seems that this is not possible, at least with the dealers that we have visited so far. Can anybody tell us if there are any dealers in the north of England, Midlands etc. who have a decent selection of motorhomes at a reasonable price for us to go and look at. I did like the Auto Trail Talisman but looking at pictures it looks a little narrow inside. We have seen loads of decent looking vans within our budget on eBay and Gum Tree but in order to view we would end up 'criss-crossing' across the country.

Any help or tips gratefully accepted and thanks in advance.

Regards

Billy

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Billy,

Spending less than £20k means your van will likely be a private sale, so unfortunately that will mean a lot of traipsing around. You are right that layout is critical to your enjoyment. You need to narrow your search down to precisely what you want to reduce wasted travel and you need to read The Motorhome Buyers Guide. Subscribers can download it for Free The Definitive Guide to Buying the Right Motorhome at the Best Price Best of luck and welcome to the fun (y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I am a tight fisted git
Oh and welcome
Dealers are always going to be substantially more expensive against a private buy.
I bought (privately) a ci carioca (5 years old at the time with 10000 miles) for £18,000 cash. This has the shower and kitchen at the rear 5 berth. When i sold mine a dealer was asking £21k for the same van as mine with less equipment same mileage but it was in better exterior condition.
We had loaded it up ourselves with solar and LPG
We kept it for 7 years and sold it for £12,500 privately yet were offered £15k against a year old van.

If you know what to look for, damp being the major, and keep your eyes peeled looking at the history of the van, (mileage therefore useage can be checked on free apps) you might even spot a motorhomefun sticker in there. look in the classifieds here.

As long as it is dry, engine works, history is good, layout is reasonable, has been lovingly cared for, then (for me) a private buy would be my preference.

But we are all different

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Hi and welcome,

A thing to remember is that although you liked the layout in your caravan it will be different in a Motorhome, your needs will change.... good luck in your search (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back