First things first!

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by k1tty, Apr 16, 2009.

1. k1tty

k1tty Deleted User

Ratings:
    +0
    I will be buying a good van soon and I want it to run off solar power. Could I have my heating, air con, shower, oven, fridge and anything else running off solar power or am I asking to much? How do I find somebody to fit it (and properly!) in the north west preferably!

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

Ratings:
    +6,031
    as you said first things first.. where do you get that much sun in the north west?would take alot of panels n sun to do it . let us know if the sun is that good we will all come to visit .ha,ha:thumb:

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +27,568
    hi K1tty and welcome to the FUN :thumb:

'course you can run all the above but only if you have a panel the size of a football field and a dozen batteries :ROFLMAO:

solar panels only produce 12v to charge batteries and can run small items ie: lights, not run 230v appliances unless you use an inverter.

seriously....a 150w solar panel will produce around 6 to 7 amps on a clear, sunny day, and will keep your batteries charged .

as soon as you start using more than 6 or 7 amps the battery will start to discharge.

4. k1tty

k1tty Deleted User

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking ahead for global warming! :ROFLMAO: I'm not going to see the north west for a long time after my van is up and going!

I'm devo'd I really thought it was a nice idea. I don't want to ask for much but a long hot shower I can live with.

Oh and something else I cannot get my head around is the toilet?! Where does it go?? - I know I'm not going to enjoy these answers! :Cool:

5. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Ratings:
    +11,794
    It was a great idea I was expecting you wanting the motor to run off solar too:thumb:
    the loo is collected into a removable waste tank that you will need to empty every day or two
    or week or two if you buy an American RV:Eeek:
    Welcome to the fun site
    Geo

6. pappajohn

Ratings:
    +27,568
    the toilet goes in the little room near the sink and shower:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

if you mean where do you empty it there are usually dedicated chemical toilet emptying points on site.
    you shouldnt really empty down a regular toilet due to the chemicals involved, normally formaldahyde.....it kills the natural bacteria found in sewage farms...but many do if wildcamping etc.
    the 'solids' and paper are broken down to a liquid slurry very quickly so its not too unpleasant dumping. just watch for the splashback:Eeek::winky:

7. k1tty

k1tty Deleted User

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got hamsters in a wheel for the engine! :ROFLMAO:

The toilet doesn't sound as gross as I was expecting, still I'll leave it to my bf but I will be nice to him and buy him some gloves!

So solar power really isn't worth doing?

8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

Ratings:
    +6,031
    i have 3x80watt panels flat on roof . nov dec jan ,not too good for power feb on all ok thats in spain . in maroc no probs. have 2500kw inverter 700amp of batteries, power 240v fridge . 12v lights n pump . also have gas lights nice in winter heat n light. toilet thetford p,potty dont use chemicals lasts about 1wk for 2 people . tip in sewers or dig a big hole. use 1spanish 1maroc gas bottle . fill maroc in maroc about 4pounds spanish about 12. also carry adapters to fill at autogas stations. dont forget a good water filter ,i use a royal doulton berkenfield system ceramic inlaid with silver .never use sites ,too mean. :thumb:

9. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Ratings:
    +11,794
    As John said earlier it nothing more than a battery charger and not a very efficiant one at that
    BUT if your doing a lot of camping with out using sites and electric hook up(that means all your power is coming from your house batteries) its a great bit of kit

10. vwalan

vwalan Funster

Ratings:
    +6,031
    you can have solar showers. cheap plastic bag type or shallow tank on roof gets very hot n can burn . good for washing pots etc. last winter we where using washing machines n spin driers all using panels n inverters. the sky is the limit , or is it the sun?

11. pappajohn

Ratings:
    +27,568
    you'll need to be built like popeye or desperate dan to carry that to the elsan point:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

12. pappajohn

Ratings:
    +27,568
    you may want a long, hot shower but you aint getting one:Eeek:

most eurovan water heaters only hold around 10 liters of water so its a case of.... get wet, turn the tap off, get soapy, turn the tap on and wait for the water to run cold......it dont take long:cry:about 5 mins if you like it hot.
    american RVs do a lot better with around 25/30ltrs plus of hot water(i think)

13. k1tty

k1tty Deleted User

Ratings:
    +0
    :cry::cry::cry: how long until the water heats up again?

14. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,902
    you will not like this, but IMHO you would be better off spending the money on a SMALL genny to recharge batteries, and run small 240volt bits of kit.
    Solar panels do work, but not always when you want/need them!!!
    Nigel & Pamala

15. vwalan

vwalan Funster

Ratings:
    +6,031
    if you use an instantanious shower it depends how much water/gas you carry.

16. pappajohn

Ratings:
    +27,568
    on gas maybe 20/30 mins for really hot or up to an hour on hookup.

if you use campsites then use the (usually)free showers but pick a quite time or the hot may not be hot.:winky:

17. geoff587

geoff587

Ratings:
    +2
    Sundowner , spoilt my day, I wanted to post that , as every query on generators is always answered with " Fit Solar Panels " :roflmto:

18. Douglas

Douglas

Ratings:
    +404
    Would you believe that we make a 17Lt toilet cassette last for 5 to 7 days without the need to empty it, if we have access to public toilets much longer.

Doug...