Nov 16, 2021
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
dont own one yet
Hello all,
I am talking first steps towards buying a motorhome. My only experience of them is when i borrowed a mates many years ago and did a few trips, twice to Ireland (wild atlantic way) and one to Cornwall. It was a Fiat Ducato 1.9 so hard work on the motorways and up steep hills. Anyway i am hitched 25years next year and we want to do something out of the ordinary rather than the usual holiday to the sun. We are both pretty mad on cycling and have followed the Vuelta across northern Spain on a couple of occasions and was always envious of the people in their nice motorhomes set up along the side of the mountains watching the suffering unfold with a glass of red in their hands. Whereas we would be stuck in a small hire car wondering where we can get to the toilet. As there is just the two of us we dont need huge amount of sleeping area but would like decent living space so i wouldnt be for buying a van type motorhome, would be going for coachbuilt. Have you any advice on what to look out for, the pitfalls etc. Main usage and priority for us would be fixed bed(s), garage capable of holding a couple of mountain bikes and a few other bits and pieces. Go easy on me guys i havent a clue about these things. Hoping the experts can point me towards some makes/models to look out for. Also i notice there was a crazy hike in prices when lockdown ended. Is this expected to rectify itself or will prices remain high. Would have guessed Dec/Jan would be when they are at their cheapest ?
thanks in advance.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Welcome.
Make your first stop the Buyers Guide written by Jim, our leader. Free to subscribers and good value. The subscription is worth every penny as you'll no doubt have plenty of questions but you only have 5 posts as a free member.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from The Cotswolds!(y)

Look at as many different ‘vans as you can, inside and out, and then imagine living in them for a while……;)

Also, possibly hire a couple of your preferred type ‘just to see what they’re like in reality’….!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Little Boy Reaction GIF by Children's Miracle Network Hospitals

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Hire before your buy.
We hired 4 different vans before we worked out what we wanted (and did not want)

Only three things matter. Layout, Payload & Budget.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Hi and welcome to Fun.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun