First silly question of the day... (1 Viewer)

Aug 23, 2011
Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Lyseo 727g
Exp
since 2011
With the traffic announcements that certain roads & bridges are closed to high sided vehicles, can I assume that my 2.7m high Autocruise is classed as high sided?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes you should consider your motorhome a high-sided vehicle, they can be blown further than you might think. If you are travelling too fast then you could be blown across two or even three carriageways, this of course could be more dangerous than being blown completely over.

Of course beware open roads, with both hands on the steering wheel we can cope with steady strong winds but its the gusts that can blow us off course. If you are in gusty winds slow right down and be aware of other vehicles, don't put yourself in a position that they might be blown into you or you them.

Far better not to drive, or sit the wind out parked away from trees, nose into the wind with a cuppa and a kip:thumb:

Upvote 0

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
I was wondering the same thing just last night.

After doing some searching, it appears that there are no actual definitions. I did read that one of the bridges included a car with a roof box as a high sided vehicle......

Therefore, with that said, I'd class a MH as a highsided as it's taller than it's width.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Aha! It seems that the reason there is no definition of High Side is down to the fact that each bridge crossing has their own definition depending on the design of the bridge's crosswind protection.

But reading on some of the HGV forums, they tend to class it as anything higher than a standard Transit.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
I would say yes , it is a high sided vehicle.....On our low profile MH , nose on to wind it handles well enough . Side on to wind/gusts , at times it feels like it has the aerodynamics of a brick . Not worth any hassles ,the thing is for relaxing in not fighting against weather , so we just stop and wait for a break in the conditions .

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Years ago me n Sian, (pre- kids) were hammering it down an autoroute in France in an old AutoTrail Pullman, coming down a long sweeping hill doing about 75mph not paying too much attention to the stiff windsocks when we saw a German motorhome blown across three lanes and into onto an island between carriageways.

We sobered up and slowed immediately and have since always paid attention to those windsocks. :Eeek:

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I half remember reading a post from a police officer some time ago which defined a high sided vehicle as one which is higher than its width.

As a general point, there are no silly questions just silly answers sometimes :Smile:

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I half remember reading a post from a police officer some time ago which defined a high sided vehicle as one which is higher than its width.

As a general point, there are no silly questions just silly answers sometimes :Smile:

What a good definition, :thumb:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
any slab sided vehicle could be classed as high sided as far as wind is concerned.

large, flat surface area facing high winds is asking for trouble.

artic trailers with curtain sides seem to cope much better than 'box' type trailer as there is no rigidity in the side walls.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just today i was caught out by a cross wind while passing over a shortish river bridge on a duel carriageway.
pushed across the white center lines....and i was only in a citroen berlingo van :Eeek:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back