Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
Pembrokeshire. Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
hi

Had exactly the same problem on Citroen Relay, same engine.
Turned out to be faulty EGR valve.
You could buy a cheap reader just to clear fault so you can get it to garage.
Another trick if it goes into limp mode while driving is to quickly turn off ignition and then turn back on. Takes you out of limp mode.

OP
OP
C
May 28, 2021
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Im glad I've got an oldie
I feel that our motorhome is an oldie , 2012. We have never had a car as old as that. When we were buying it I kept thinking, ''how are we spending so much money on something so old??'' It just seemed such a lot, but couldn't get newer or better as we were not willing to spend more.

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
I feel that our motorhome is an oldie , 2012. We have never had a car as old as that. When we were buying it I kept thinking, ''how are we spending so much money on something so old??'' It just seemed such a lot, but couldn't get newer or better as we were not willing to spend more.
I meant a real oldie before electronics took over. My old girl Ada is 30 years yours is not a teenager yet :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I do wish you luck with your problem though.

OP
OP
C
May 28, 2021
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
We tried turning it off, then on again but didn't reset it.
It has new EGR valve and regeneration of DPF at service in Sept 20. [I don't know what I'm talking about. Just copied details from service record.]

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
Hi Carolina…..we feel your pain, but like others have said, hang in there and it will be worth it and this is coming from somebody who bought a “new to us“ Motorhome in February and within the next 3 months had to have the following done (thankfully done by the dealer under warranty, but each time 110 mile trip each way!); New Clutch, New Alternator, New EGR Valve, New Back Brakes, New Starter Motor, Leaking Roof Light, Leaking Water Boiler!!!! So you have a long way to go to beat us! Since all done, we have now clocked up 2000 more miles going to places we want to go to rather than the garage and so far so good! Hang in there…..👍

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Carolina hang in there, all will get sorted, just frustrating when you have planned so much to do. Once this is sorted get along to a Motorhome fun rally, tell your tale to fellow funsters and you will be surprised at your plight was not so bad after all.
Talking of Old vans my first Hymer was 1994 spec and still going around, new owner brought it and went straight down to Portugal his only issue was chrome exhaust trim fell off.
1626770694420.png

So HAPPY DAYS ahead and good luck in your new adventures.

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Carolina, yes must be so frustrating, we build ourselves up, plan our trips, then disappointing for you both, keep positive, 🤞
you will be back out to play soon, then you can share your holiday
Pictures.:clap:

phillipsheila

Free Member
Jun 23, 2020
Swansea, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail 660se
Exp
since 2000. 18 motorhomes and counting
When things go wrong you learn so much so just put a positive spin on it (y) (y) (y) and one day you can help someone in need (y)

Ray's Scout

Free Member
Jan 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout
I think Carolina is Essex based and was going to Worthing on the 26 th July for extras to be fitted, I would insist the dealer that sold me the van sorted out getting it fixed regardless of the insurance based warranty. Could recovery take it to Worthing (If the garage there will except it for extra repair work) and then bill the dealer. ?
Problem is when you buy something so far away, The dealer can either keep it for months or its a simple thing, scary, sorry to read your troubles.

:-(

Jun 22, 2019
Durham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
You are covered uder the sale of goods act, get the dealer who sold you it to recover it back to their premises and repair it, if not ask for your money back. It’s a good make so should be an easy fix and then fingers crossed you will have many years of great holidays.

BernieTony

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2012
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Swift Champagne 684
Exp
Since October 2011
This happened to us. When investigated a mouse had crawled into the engine space and had eaten through 2 of the rubber pipes!

Jul 8, 2016
Carshalton
Funster No
MH
Nuevo II 2010
Exp
Since 1993
I bought a basic Code Reader off Amazon and it gives you a bit of confidence when discussing your problems with any dealer or garage and allows you and them to plan a course of action. You can clear the codes too but that won't rectify the problem if the fault is serious. It's usually a spurious sensor problem. Engines are so complicated these days and a £30 sensor can disable your £60,000 van!!

Suekim

Free Member
Mar 6, 2018
Funster No
You just need someone to plug a code reader into the opd port It’s odds on to be an issue with emissions control equipment as with that very low mileage in the past nearly ten years the emissions stuff can and does get gummed up.
That’s exactly what it was with mine, we were heading in our first trip in my new to me mh. Dealer was great had it back - replaced the valve and no further problems . They said if couldn’t get it back to them take it to a dealer and they would pay.

anniej

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Herne, Herne Bay, Kent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Exec
Exp
20 years
We have a 2004 Executive Peugeot Boxer which has the same problem. We've had numerous bits of advice and had a new cam belt and other electrical bits changed to no avail. We now learn to live with it by staying under 60mph and keeping revs under 3000.

Oct 28, 2011
west midlands
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
new
We were told that supermarket diesel could be the problem with the newer vans, the systems are so sensitive, plus can clog up the ECU stuff. Either use the better diesel, or put diesel additive in tank. Give it a good run down motorway as it should help keep ECU cleaner, apparently does clean itself (?) every so often, but you need to go a good run regularly. Not an expert but all info gleaned from this site !!

Jan 30, 2012
doncaster
Funster No
MH
a class
We have booked it in for Friday. Hope we can get it there ok and that they can do it that day so we can go to worthing to get our gas it installed.
Look at your documents and see if you can contact the previous owner as it may have been a problem for them. They may give you some valuable info.

Jul 2, 2019
Rugby
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2019, folding camper for many years.
It is possible that the DPF need regerating again, we had a school minibus that just did short journeys, limp mode came on regularly, kept taking it back to the garage. Finally took it out for a burn down the 45 ourselves eveytime it came on to get the engine good and hot and that did the trick. Vehicles with DPF really don't like regular short journeys. Good luck with your van, hope problem resolved soon and you can start enjoying it. (y)

Jan 30, 2012
doncaster
Funster No
MH
a class
It is possible that the DPF need regerating again, we had a school minibus that just did short journeys, limp mode came on regularly, kept taking it back to the garage. Finally took it out for a burn down the 45 ourselves eveytime it came on to get the engine good and hot and that did the trick. Vehicles with DPF really don't like regular short journeys. Good luck with your van, hope problem resolved soon and you can start enjoying it. (y)
I often get the DPF warning light come on in my car. We only use it to pop around locally so filter gets made up quickly. I take it for a quick 15/20 min blast on the Mway and hey presto. We call it the "old fart light":giggle:

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
We were told that supermarket diesel could be the problem with the newer vans, the systems are so sensitive, plus can clog up the ECU stuff. Either use the better diesel, or put diesel additive in tank. Give it a good run down motorway as it should help keep ECU cleaner, apparently does clean itself (?) every so often, but you need to go a good run regularly. Not an expert but all info gleaned from this site !!
Someone is telling you nonsense. Supermarkets don't refine fuel and the fuel they supply is just the same as the petrol stations

Sunny

Free Member
Sep 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Im a newbie
Had exactly the same thing, bought a long way from home, drove it home fine and put into storage then on first trip out it went into limp mode. Took it to local garage and they said new turbo, I was not convinced as very low mileage so bought a £30 Bluetooth obd 2 reader that connects to phone and worked out it was a £40 vacuum valve at top of engine that controls turbo and water gets in due to bad design (which replacement has fixed)-15 mins to change… so would recommend getting a reader as can save you thousands

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
Someone is telling you nonsense. Supermarkets don't refine fuel and the fuel they supply is just the same as the petrol stations
Couldn’t agree more….try following the same petrol tanker after it’s been to your local Sainsbury’……next stop is probably the Esso or BP garage round the corner! 😀

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Sorry to read of your tale of woe but you do seem to focussing on the appointment for a "gas system" to be fitted. If you have a single bottle or a just a wallmounted gas reg then you dont NEED to rush to upgrade the system at this moment. Whilst away a few weeks ago we only used about 7kg of gas in two weeks of very changeable weather in Scotland, thats not a lot of gas. Concentrate on the problem to hand and get the OBD read to try to find out how to take it further, a Fiat or Peugeot Van garage or a good mobile man should be able to tell you whats happening
Best wishes happier days are ahead
Mike & Ann

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Many years ago, we traded in our very old and very knackered Autohome. We ended up buying from a place far from home - and one of the reasons we agreed the sale was I did not fancy the drive home in the old one - spings shot, carb so worn you had to feather the throttle, battery not charging...etc.
So we set off in the new(er) one. 60 miles down the road. it stopped. We ended up getting recovered home, six month old baby with us and not much in the van.
I took it to the local garage, and they eventually found someone had replace a union in the fuel line with one that was too small. After 60 miles the engine was starved of fuel. Replacement done. £2 part. 1/2hr to do the job.

The dealer asked us to book a theatre trip and a good meal, and they picked up the tab. I thought that was a good way of saying sorry.
I don't think they would do that now.

D

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
ECU faults often need more than 1 hard reset (engine off, doors closed, wait 10mins) Just had to do one on may car a few weeks back and it took 3 hard resets to clear the fault. Maybe worth trying to do several.

OP
OP
C
May 28, 2021
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Sorry to read of your tale of woe but you do seem to focussing on the appointment for a "gas system" to be fitted. If you have a single bottle or a just a wallmounted gas reg then you dont NEED rush.
Mike & Ann
We have no gas bottles or regulator and can't get one, so want to get gas it fitted so we can use van.
Have booked it in to garage for diagnosis and hopefully repair Friday.

anniej

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Herne, Herne Bay, Kent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Exec
Exp
20 years
We have no gas bottles or regulator and can't get one, so want to get gas it fitted so we can use van.
Have booked it in to garage for diagnosis and hopefully repair Friday.
Best of luck. We've had 4 different garages trying to work out the same problem as yours. We've learnt to live with it. If the red light comes on just go down a gear and slow down. Works for us.

OP
OP
C
May 28, 2021
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Best of luck. We've had 4 different garages trying to work out the same problem as yours. We've learnt to live with it. If the red light comes on just go down a gear and slow down. Works for us.
Oh no! We can hardly slow down more as we can only go about 20mph, unless downhill.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back