First run out and disaster! (1 Viewer)

Nov 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2015
Good morning yes just to say good luck .We have new motorhome only purchased last December with fiat engine and we had only covered 400 miles ,but we had the same problem engine warning light on and went into limp mode we called fiat breakdown we were only at home he couldn't find any faults but straight away when arrived he said I bet it's a voltage problem because I had started the engine and only moved it up and down the drive . Not giving the battery time to recover and it turned out to be the case have used it a couple of times since all is fine now! Sorry we had been away in it previously we hadn't covered 400 miles in the drive !

OP
OP
C
May 28, 2021
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
We went to take it to be repaired but although it started the engine died as soon as you put foot on accelerator. We called RAC who eventually towed us to garage we had booked. . They diagnosed EGR fault. Then the warranty people said the EGR valve wasn't covered by warranty.!!
After lots of phone calls the original selling dealer agreed to pay and the EGR valve was replaced £644. Now running well.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
You just need someone to plug a code reader into the opd port It’s odds on to be an issue with emissions control equipment as with that very low mileage in the past nearly ten years the emissions stuff can and does get gummed up.

Motorhomes should be better than cars for blocked DPF because when they get used they normally do enough miles to regenerate but it's the first thing I'd be looking at

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We had similar with our first motorhome as others have said it's a good idea to keep it in a lower gear/ higher revs for a while sometimes to get the egr/dpf working.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Struggling to see why egr bringing on eml would not allow vehicle to run normally especially if the eml light is only orange? & 644 to change what vehicle is it based on?

Nov 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2015
Well done that's good news glad all has worked out well now enjoy

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Now running well.
Don’t be afraid to give the engine a good thrashing now and again! you will see lots of White Van Men doing it daily in vehicles with 300k on the odometer they are designed as working vehicles too many private folk treat them with kid gloves and this contributes to problems.
Get out there,give it some stick and enjoy your new Motorhome.

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
Great to hear you are sorted and more importantly the dealer coughed up! now go out there and enjoy! P.S from an Essex boy (Chelmsford) now in Cornwall 😁

Dec 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
We bought out first motorhome on 4th July. I was very excited, drove it home and straight to the storage compound. Started planning our holidays but first needed to get a gas system fitted and a reversing camera as neither of us are used to driving without a rear view. We finally found someone in Worthing who could fit us in 26th July.
Decided to take her out for a little run today. She started fine but after about 6/7 miles the Check engine warning light came up in yellow, and the van lost all power. We had to 'limp home' to the storage compound. I phoned the dealers we bought her from and they said if we could get her there they'd look at it, but it is 80miles away. They said turn off engine, lock up and leave for 10 mins, then try to restart. Didn't make a difference. We have a warranty, insurance type, so they said take it to dealer near us and then claim. I think as it is first time out dealer should be responsible for picking it up and repairing it, but my husband now has no confidence in the dealer so would rather someone else repair it.
Van is autosleeper Broadway on Peugeot base( Ford engine) 2012. Has done 16000 miles and was serviced at dealer before we bought it. Any advice welcome, please.
If you take a look at my post you will see I have just finished my build it took me a few months to do it and during that time I foolishly started engine and let it idle for some time to keep battery topped up, when I finally decided to take van out I got a bout 200 yards and experienced the same as you, limped home dreading the worse but a friend of mine is a diesel mechanic and when I told him about it and about me letting engine idle he went nuts, told me it's a build up of carbon, he then started the engine and reved it up quite high loads of smoke comming out of exhaust then it went clear. He then cleared the fault using diagnostic tool and told me to take it a good run, now it's running sweet as a nut, he told me if it hadn't burnt itself clear it would heed to be stripped and some sort of acid bath,

Hope yours is as simple to sort as mine

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back