Gjhimages

Free Member
May 12, 2017
Ramsbottom
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet,
Exp
As a complete newbie to the idea of motorhome/camper weekends away but seeing it as good way to escape the daily 9-5 monday to friday grind without too much forward planning
my question is

i only have a budget of around£5000 , is it possible to get a good reliable van for this?

i see a few advertised but all are older models , i know with careful checking you can get a bargain but their probaly is a lot of 'lemons' out there

what are the pitfalls etc

thanks for looking

gary

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
About the same chance of getting a reliable car for £500 its possible but be prepared to look at loads and wait for the right one. Motorhomes tend to depreciate a lot slower than cars so you will be looking at old ones that been said many swear by them and if you find a good one it will never go down in value

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi Gary and w2fmay I say I wished I had never purchased the brand new van we now have,my 15 yr old van I sold was far more solidly constructed but of course had things that needed doing.
As said keep looking and looking till you FEEL it's the right van,then if possible take someone experienced with you if possible.
There may even be a funster near to you who could just give it the once over,for a few beers of course:pop: good luck in your search.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Gjhimages

Free Member
May 12, 2017
Ramsbottom
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet,
Exp
Thanks for the replies, I am not in a rush so can look at many before taking the plunge. Unless the 'bargain ' of a lifetime appears

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Gary,
On eBay there are many motorhomes that look as if they are 'bargains of a lifetime' - but you'll find they are probably all scams. Beware!
If it looks too good to be true then it probably is..... :-(

Upvote 0

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
:hiya2: & :welcomesign:

Hi Gary, Don't part with any money without actually seeing the van and always ask on here for advice before purchasing. There are many pitfalls to avoid including the dreaded damp and also the SCAMMERS.

Ray

Upvote 0

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
You must absolutely avoid damp in the habitation area and the dreaded tin worm in the base vehicle. These are more important than the general tidiness of the interior which can usually be fixed at modest cost.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back